Ticking V8

pux

Hi Guy's i went to look at a 3.5EFI RRC last night on a E plate! she is in mint condition :blink: but there is one thing holding me back and thats the engine it has only done 89000 miles but there is a tapping/ticking noise coming from high up in the engine. Now i dont know a lot about V8's is this something simple or could this be it a big problem any advice is appreciated cheers.

Tricky to diagnose noises on a forum, but two common sources of tapping or ticking, volume dependant, are:

- Injectors, which will click slightly

- Tappets, which can get quite loud if they're gummed up or the engine hasn't been run for a while. A good dose of engine flush and an oil change can cure noisy tappets.

as fridge says, might come back with a flush, but no 7 on the cam is prone to wear and this gives a knock like a spoon on a eggcup sort of noise, new cam and followers sorts it.

Could also be worn valve train ie pushrods / rocker arms, or even the cam floating back and forth, does it go if revved ?

Compression test may show it up ?

Nige

as fridge says, might come back with a flush, but no 7 on the cam is prone to wear and this gives a knock like a spoon on a eggcup sort of noise, new cam and followers sorts it.

Could also be worn valve train ie pushrods / rocker arms, or even the cam floating back and forth, does it go if revved ?

Compression test may show it up ?

Nige

Hi Nige when you rev it it stays there but does not get any louder!! seems to rev happy enough i am taking it out for a spin on saturday so will know if it's any worse under load. The problem is the rangie is solid in all the right places and it's very nicely priced but this ticking/tapping is the only thing putting me off, im pretty sure i could live with it as its only a weekend weapon or would this be a job that would need doing ASAP :unsure: cheers for all the help so far.

V8's will put up with horrible amounts of wear very well - worst case it goes BANG and you buy another V8 lump for pennies, these days a V8 Range Rover is worth nothing unless it's absolutely mint so you could buy an entire car for spares for a couple of hundred quid.

V8's will put up with horrible amounts of wear very well - worst case it goes BANG and you buy another V8 lump for pennies, these days a V8 Range Rover is worth nothing unless it's absolutely mint so you could buy an entire car for spares for a couple of hundred quid.
ah when you put it in that context then its worth buying as i said its nice and solid in all the places were they rot and has been loved and cared for so if the drive goes well on saturday i will have some pics up here of me new Rangie :ph34r: thanks again Guy's

I would suspect some worn tappets at that mileage.

A camshaft, tappets and chain job wont break the bank but as said these engines can mask major wear.

My engine had 178,000 with i suspect the original cam and tappets, some of the lobes were over half worn down and tappets dished by 2-3mm that it was unbelievable that it would even idle!

A cold engine start shouldn't be accompanied with a clatter of tappets priming as mine used to - another indication that it might be a worn/tired tappet perhaps.

I would suspect some worn tappets at that mileage.

A camshaft, tappets and chain job wont break the bank but as said these engines can mask major wear.

My engine had 178,000 with i suspect the original cam and tappets, some of the lobes were over half worn down and tappets dished by 2-3mm that it was unbelievable that it would even idle!

A cold engine start shouldn't be accompanied with a clatter of tappets priming as mine used to - another indication that it might be a worn/tired tappet perhaps.

so lets say its warn tappets then is this something that needs doing straight away :unsure:

As per Steve_d, could also be exhaust manifold gasket. I had a similar noise due to forgetting to tighten a couple of manifold bolts.

Did sound remarkably tappetty!

At an average of 4k miles per year, could have been used as a shopping cart with lots of stop start runs. This would accelerate wear. Also may have been left standing to gum up, so a flush could sort it.

If cheap enough, take a punt and try the easy stuff. If it proves to be more serious and you don't want to do the work, I am sure you will be able to shift a mint classic easily enough.

Hi guy's i have bought the ticking V8 it runs fine and has plenty of power there. And as Fridge pointed out if it does go bang then you can easily pick up another V8 for pennys and the Rangie its self is solid ;) cheers for the advice and i will keep you informed how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Please advice on this one.

Discovery 1, 1998, 3.9 V8; 130000km; The engine was in excellent condition when bought it. 3000km ago had bearings changed, camshaft, tappets and pushrods. The engine runs fine and smooth - no problems. However - some 200km ago - when the engine is hot it makes a ticking (mid-pitched) sound at idling (when revved the sound dissapears). It look it is comming from top - but hard to be sure on this one. I can't believe it can be the tappets etc. The oil used is Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40. The oil pressure is 2.3bar at idle, 2.7 bar at 2500rpm.

What can be the reason? Should I put the additive (valvoline oil treatment) to make the oil viscosity higher when hot? Or should I flush the engine and put 15w40 oil ? Really no V8s around here so no one is able to tell me what to do to get rid of the noise (and also how to avoid possible damage).

I will try to records the sound and post it here - maybe you guys who have heard dozens of V8 will be able to point the correct direction.

Thanks.

You should really try and stick with 20/50 in RV8s, the oil pumps aren't really designed to cope with thinner oil than that although, to be fair, many people do run them on 15w40.

IMV it's worth spending the extra time and effort to get hold of 20/50.

Having said that, its probably nothing to do with the oil but it's an easy thing to try and if you haven't changed the oil since the rebuild it's overdue an oil change anyway.

Thanks. 20w-50 is a problem :( cant get it quickly. 15w-40 should I go full synthetic or semi-synthetic?

Valvoline do a synthetic 20/50 if it's of any help, as do Lucas oils if there's a distributor in your area.

I normally use mineral or semi for the first oil change after an overhaul as synthetic can be a bit too efficient and stop the engine bedding in during the "running in" period. After the running in period go for a full synthetic.

Which one do you mean? I have found Valvoline VR1 ? the 20w50 is not a syntetic type as per the specs from the valvoline datasheet:

SAE 5W-50: Fully synthetic motor oil

SAE 10W-60: Partly synthetic motor oil

SAE 20W-50: Mineral motor oil -> That one I can get here.

Any hints on the source of ticking? :huh:

Which one do you mean? I have found Valvoline VR1 ? the 20w50 is not a syntetic type as per the specs from the valvoline datasheet:

SAE 5W-50: Fully synthetic motor oil

SAE 10W-60: Partly synthetic motor oil

SAE 20W-50: Mineral motor oil -> That one I can get here.

Any hints on the source of ticking? :huh:

It's possible they've withdrawn it, I've not seen it on the shelf here for over a year, Ive not got any motors that use it at the moment so haven't asked.

On the source of ticking, lots of possible suggestions above, does sound like a tappet if it goes away when you rev so could be oil related or it could simply be the injectors.

Please advice on this one.

Discovery 1, 1998, 3.9 V8; 130000km; However - some 200km ago - when the engine is hot it makes a ticking (mid-pitched) sound at idling (when revved the sound dissapears).

As posted above it could be exhaust blowing at the manifold. Tappet noise on a RV8 does not sound like a typical ohv top end tappet noise.

My first P38 V8 was a low mileage "London Car" which had been used for shopping and short runs. It came with a tappet tick which drove me mad for weeks whilst I tried to sort out other niggles. Flushing different oils etc never cured the problem so eventually I ignored it and the car ran for 3 years til I sold it. The car only suffered a broken water pump in its time with me.

On the subject of water pumps check for end float, I left it too long and ended up with a broken bearing, fan blades thro the rad, plus a big bill for transporting the motor home. Luckily the pump siezed big time and the noise of the shrieking belt and remodelling of the radiator was enough for me to shut down before the temperature went up.