Gearbox damage?

Hey there,

After some much needed reassurance.

While driving home this eve i felt nasty vibrations coming through my transmission which gave me horrific memories of when a prop snapped on me years ago.

I nursed her home and on inspection, i found my rear UJ to be shot.

Did have a spare but it was in another prop for a 110 (Mine's a 90) and after spending 2 hours getting the rusty cups out (In the dark and the rain!), I thought i'd probably be better off replacing them with new.

As i work 40 miles away and live miles out in the sticks I need to know if i can drive in diff lock without causing any wind up???

I know i my rear prop was attached this would not be a good idea but as its not, can i drive gently to work to get new UJ's?

Many thanks in advance!

Paul

The only issue is the inherent weakness of LR drivetrain components, as long as you don't do any racing starts you should be fine.

damn, so that's where we're going wrong :ph34r: many a weekend we've had someone coming back with just one prop :lol:

Gordon

Thanks again peeps for the input, made it and fitted new H/D U.J.'s.

Would advise anyone doing this to add the bolts back for the handbrake drum as mine decided to part the vehicle at 50 odd mph with someone right up my ar*e. :ph34r:

The screws don't like staying in!!!

Anyways, I Started to worry on the way home though as i did notice the difference in the slack.

I have a clunk on pulling away anyway and started thinking my mainshaft was worn!

Had a peek inside transfer cover and couldn't see much play at all between gears. couldn't really see very well though as you have to squeeze in behind the exhaust.

Tiny amount of play as i turned the handbrake but noticed it turned a bit before tension moved any gears?

Is that the handbrakes shaft?

Got a workshop manual but i can only see it separated from the main box and cant see what the handbrakes shafts splines meet. (If you know what i mean?).

Think the play is perhaps this plus slack in diff and drive etc and is it possible my very heavy clutch increases the knock on all of this due to the on/ off feel of it?

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Paul

Easiest way to check the mainshaft, and it doesen't take long.

Take out the middle seat or cubby box.

Take out the access panel.

Remove the PTO cover and bearing carrier.

Withdraw the gear, and inspect the splines inside the gear and on the shaft.

If the shaft is ok make sure the gear has a hole through it about 8mm at 90 degrees to the shaft, if not buy a cross drilled gear.

will be fine , if one prop is missing there is nothing to wind up , i broke a front shaft out laning last week, and drove it around for a week towing 2.5 tons of plant , with no problems , a rear whell drive 90 is a bit of a hand full in the wet mind :P

misc006.jpg