Salisbury rear axle

I've been offered a rear Salisbury axle with drum brakes to fit on to my RRC. I'm not sure if its from a Series or a Defender though.

I read these axles where fitted to some early 110s so thought you guys in here would be the best people to ask my questions.

1. Can they be converted to disc brake using stock parts?

2. Are the half shafts thicker & stronger than the 24 spline ones I have in my rangie or is it just a bigger/stronger diff?

3. Is there a difference between a series Salisbury axle & one from a Defender apart from the discs on later defenders?

I've been offered a rear Salisbury axle with drum brakes to fit on to my RRC. I'm not sure if its from a Series or a Defender though.

I read these axles where fitted to some early 110s so thought you guys in here would be the best people to ask my questions.

1. Can they be converted to disc brake using stock parts?

2. Are the half shafts thicker & stronger than the 24 spline ones I have in my rangie or is it just a bigger/stronger diff?

3. Is there a difference between a series Salisbury axle & one from a Defender apart from the discs on later defenders?

The Salisbury axle is physically much larger than the standard Rover axle as fitted to 90/Disco/RRC. All 110s & 130s were fitted with Salisbury type axles - be they drum braked (up until about 1993/1994) or disc braked. It's only in the last couple of years that the Salisbury axle has been superceded on the 110 - late vehicles now use a HD version of the Rover type axle - similar to that fitted to the P38 Range Rover IIRC.

The whole unit is physically larger and heavier than the unit in your Rangie. Apart from the fact that you will need to make up a custom propshaft in order to make it fit, it'll also be a retrograde step as far as the brakes are concerned - you could convert it from drum to disc - but you'll have plenty of competition in obtaining parts as that's what a lot of 110 owners also want to do. Some of the parts are available off the shelf as new - but you'll pay plenty for them.

As for the difference between a series and a defender salisbury type axle... series is a narrower track than a defender, and it's on leaf springs as opposed to coils. The half shafts, drive flanges and hubs are all different.

Yes, you could fit a salisbury to your rangie, but it's a far amount of work, not to mention more than a little overkill...

Matt

Yes, you could fit a salisbury to your rangie, but it's a far amount of work, not to mention more than a little overkill...

Matt

I wouldn't say its overkill as I'm running 37s & I'm trying to find the cheapest way of upgrading to stronger axles using LR stuff.

A friend of mine is going down the portal route which isn't for me & I'm no wielder/fabricator so Toyota axles also out of the question at the moment.

I don't have the cash at the min to be paying out for the Ashcroft or KAM upgrades so I'm trying to find another way if possible.

I don't think a Salisbury is overkill - it's a fairly cheap bolt-on upgrade over the Rover axle. You may still bust the odd halfshaft, but I'd be very surprised if the diff ever came to any harm. Converting to discs is no major deal, at least all the parts are standard which is more than can be said for converting a Series or suchlike.

Hi, the salisbury diff itself is hugely stronger than any rover diff, but the axle tubes themselves can bend surprisingly easily compared to the rover type banjo tube as they are pressed in to the axle casing as opposed to being a one piece unit.

The Halfshafts themselves are of similar qaulities to the later rover Halfshafts used on 2004> 110's and now the 90"s.

I think you would be better off getting a 2004> 110" axle. these are reasonably numerous through various breakers yards. We got one recently for development work and paid about £300 for it complete with brakes and calipers/diff etc.

These axles use the P38 short nose 4 pin diff and are very strong and use the same mountings etc that your range rover has, only without the poor ground clearance or extra weight of the salisbury type.

Hope this is of help.

Steve, KAM Differentials ltd.

I've never heard of someone bending a salisbury :o I spose in racing circles it's possible (since they will break anything they're given) but rather unlikely on a play day. Interesting the MOD landies reinforce the rover casings but not the salisbury ones. Also, you can pick up a salisbury for £30 rather than £300. I've actually heard several reports of the later non-sals back axles being weaker and less reliable.

Ground clearance is only 1" loss, which Moglite proved you can shave off if you're really bothered.

I don't think a Salisbury is overkill - it's a fairly cheap bolt-on upgrade over the Rover axle. You may still bust the odd halfshaft, but I'd be very surprised if the diff ever came to any harm. Converting to discs is no major deal, at least all the parts are standard which is more than can be said for converting a Series or suchlike.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Hi, the salisbury diff itself is hugely stronger than any rover diff, but the axle tubes themselves can bend surprisingly easily compared to the rover type banjo tube as they are pressed in to the axle casing as opposed to being a one piece unit.

The Halfshafts themselves are of similar qaulities to the later rover Halfshafts used on 2004> 110's and now the 90"s.

I think you would be better off getting a 2004> 110" axle. these are reasonably numerous through various breakers yards. We got one recently for development work and paid about £300 for it complete with brakes and calipers/diff etc.

These axles use the P38 short nose 4 pin diff and are very strong and use the same mountings etc that your range rover has, only without the poor ground clearance or extra weight of the salisbury type.

Hope this is of help.

Steve, KAM Differentials ltd.

i'd probably have to disagree with that. a second hand sals will be cheaper, hell you might even get one for free, and unlike a rover axle is not a dead end street for upgrading. if you find yourself breaking the sals you still have the dana 60/70 internals route to go. with a rover axle you're ultimately bound by a spiral bevel diff which will always be your weak link.

...you can pick up a salisbury for £30 rather than £300...

Let me know where Fridge 'cos I've been looking - some drumed axles are going for about £150 on eBlag at the moment, and disk ones (when available) are going for about £300.

go salisbury and follow i think it was diesel jims post on the forum for converting to disc brakes i followed it and it was a doddle . i have broken one shaft but it was totally driver error that caused it .

Don't suppose you have the link, it would help a lot as I think I'm going to get the Salisbury as long as its the coil sprung Defender one. I'm going to look at it this week, so fingers crossed........... :)

Actually what is weird is that the Sailsbury axle is not being used on new MOD spec LRs, they are just using upgraded P38s with stronger shafts / diffs. Hmmmmm lighter and stronger? Maybe im stupid, but does this not make more sense?

If money was no object then I'd be thinking along those lines also.

They do break FF Honest...

Didn't say they didn't - I just said they're stronger than Rovers, which they are, and cheap, which they are - I've seen plenty of Series and Defender Salisburies go for £50 or under, a bit more for disc braked but then compared to other options it's still a cheap improvement, which is what's being discussed here. A Salisbury for £50 is a cheap and easy upgrade for the back end of a RRC, if you can't source the bits for a disc conversion then the drums aren't the end of the world if they're well adjusted.

Oh and that piccy hardly proves much, note the comment:

Rear axle broke at 90km/h after hitting a massive pothole.... Stranded 200km from the nearest town in Botswana

So a vehicle that's been used in laden form in expedition conditions on poor roads knackers something after a massive impact. Not exactly news :unsure: and my main comment was that the salisbury diffs are much stronger, the rest of the axle uses common LR parts (hubs, stubs, shafts, bearings, brakes) so they're crippled by association on those :rolleyes:

one of the best upgrades i made to my series, ok less power and weight but it got some abuse. It's nice to know it will survive as much as i dare thow at it. Very well made axle and purely mighty diff wise.

I rebuilt mine with all nice new genuine bits like shafts, flanges etc. Well worth doing if you've got a bit of cash to throw at it.

It'd be interesting to see how long it will last with 37s

I have a salisbury on my competition truck (hybrid) and the only problem in four years has been a pinion bearing which I suggest you do a forum search on the correct way to change one if you do decide to go with it.

I have never snapped a half shaft and I run 35" Simex but I do check them on a regular basis. You can get half shafts between £10-£20.

I have a detroit which I put in some times, only takes 20/30 mins depending on which class I compete in.

one of the best upgrades i made to my series, ok less power and weight but it got some abuse. It's nice to know it will survive as much as i dare thow at it. Very well made axle and purely mighty diff wise.

I rebuilt mine with all nice new genuine bits like shafts, flanges etc. Well worth doing if you've got a bit of cash to throw at it.

It'd be interesting to see how long it will last with 37s

It should last ok with 37s as I don't really abuse my vehicle to much, I use it on the road a lot so I try & keep it in one piece if possible. If anything it will be my front axle that gives up the ghost as its still standard for now so I'm just trying to get some spare shafts etc together just in case............:unsure:

I have a salisbury on my competition truck (hybrid) and the only problem in four years has been a pinion bearing which I suggest you do a forum search on the correct way to change one if you do decide to go with it.

I have never snapped a half shaft and I run 35" Simex but I do check them on a regular basis. You can get half shafts between £10-£20.

I have a detroit which I put in some times, only takes 20/30 mins depending on which class I compete in.

That's good to know that its lasted well with 35s on. Thanks for the info on the pinion bearing I'll keep it in mind.

I went to look at the Salisbury I've been offered & its a 110 axle which is good, told him I'd have it, just need to figure out now which hubs I need now to convert to discs.