New Motor on the block

white90

I did think that a week of my time and effort was for nothing. Well apart from the South Wests most expensive shed ornament. When I was in the shed I did see his set of Simex tyres. He said he'd had them a couple of years but I wasn't sure. They still had the thin knobbles on from the mould :o:o

Thanks for the Delivery of the Door Tim from slindon.

Will what is the pecs then cough up

:lol: :lol: :lol: You'll get the money on the day.

Now the photos are up I have to say that engine and gearbox looks familiar. I only wish I hadn't given James such a good price as the current state of the pound is making a mess of the build budget :rolleyes:

As far as specs go I'll give you a list of parts currently sat in storage awaiting the new workshop to be built (5-6 weeks):

Engine - LS6 block with 'some' mods. Will give well in excess of 400bhp / 400 lb/ft over a very wide band

Gearbox - 4L80 with manual valve body, 300M gears, uprated clutches, shafts etc. Rated to 900 lb/ft. Marks Adapters 4L80 to LT230 conversion

Transferbox - LT230 (1.667 ratio) with some improvements + Ashcroft underdrive

Suspension - Fox 2.5" x 16" remote reservoir coil overs. Massively overkill for anything in the UK but should be spot on for speed events. When I spoke to people who knew a lot more about suspension than me this is what they all recommended hence why there's no external bypass shocks to go along with the coil overs.

Winches - Gigglepin's finest on the front, bastardised 8074 at the rear. Not sure about a centre winch. May have one, may save weight.

Wheels and Tyres - Stazworks with all the options. 38.5 Boggers plus a couple of other sets for different things. Frame is designed to take 40"+ tyres.

Now for the things not in storage:

Frame - Being constructed with the help of a man with a shoutey yellow car who lives near Basingstoke ;) . It'll look a lot like a Defender when its done but there won't be an awful lot of Solihul under the bodywork.

Axles - I'm only getting rolling shells for the moment as I'm going to wait for the £ to recover against the dollar before buying internals. They are beam axles (not portals), they are very light, they are very strong, they have 3.5 ratio diffs, they have a Rover stud pattern, they give unreal steering lock.

The vehicle will be SVAed as an Amateur Built Vehicle so there will be lots of photos of it when its done but, until then, I'm just going to get on and get it done. I could go on and on about what I'm going to do but that would serve no purpose. All I will quickly say is a big thanks to everyone who's been of help so far and who I've managed to rope in to help in the near future (you know who you are and I'll detail EVERYTHING you've done in the build write up - I honestly couldn't do it without you!). I just hope at the end it's as good as I hope it'll be and that it's been worth the wait/time spent on it/cost. No more false start, no more changes of spec - I've now refused to compromise on anything. Don't expect anything too soon, though, as there's a huge amount to do. Oh, and when I'm done I'm never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever building another vehicle*

*well not for a year or so anyway :P

Can I just ask not to comments on this thread please (Tony if you want to move the post please do) - I don't see why any waffle on my vapour build should let this thread drift of topic :) . James has done a cracking job doing a rebuild / revision in very quick time. He's worked very hard at some silly hours (judging by the times on most of the PMs I've got from him asking questions about the engine and gearbox installation). I just hope he gets a chance to use it once the new arrivals turn up :o

Will

Not that many silly hours on the build. I turned up at 0830 on the dot every morning and left at approx 1730. He would then admit the following morning that he tinkered for another hour or so. Mainly writing my job list for the next day I think. So all working hours were decent. The reasoning was that if you work long hours into the night that;s when you take short cuts and the timeeffort input doesn't balance with the quality of work. Seemed to work for us that week. Well until we tried to put the cage on in the dark with only a pair of headlights from the winch veh and 2 torches. Such an enjoyable hour or two :(

Will

Not that many silly hours on the build. I turned up at 0830 on the dot every morning and left at approx 1730. He would then admit the following morning that he tinkered for another hour or so. Mainly writing my job list for the next day I think. So all working hours were decent. The reasoning was that if you work long hours into the night that;s when you take short cuts and the timeeffort input doesn't balance with the quality of work. Seemed to work for us that week. Well until we tried to put the cage on in the dark with only a pair of headlights from the winch veh and 2 torches. Such an enjoyable hour or two :(

So James was just being a night owl then :lol:

I bet the cage was fun - anything big and arkward like that which need to line up accuratly is a pig to do at the best of times. Done in the dark, well, the fun really begins!

So James was just being a night owl then :lol:

I bet the cage was fun - anything big and arkward like that which need to line up accuratly is a pig to do at the best of times. Done in the dark, well, the fun really begins!

cage was done using another truck with a winch rope on it, through a pulley block in a nice oak tree to lower it down onto the vehicle, which at night in a wet field was a real PITA, definitely the worse bit - it didn't help having the wings attached to the cage with the wing bars either!!! all the more complicated. got there in the end though.

Now the photos are up I have to say that engine and gearbox looks familiar. I only wish I hadn't given James such a good price as the current state of the pound is making a mess of the build budget :rolleyes:

Will, my mother teached me a long time ago that it isnt good practice to throw away old shoes before you have new ones. Complete madness, I know, coming from a normal person with a very low spec (but running) vehicle.

Will, my mother teached me a long time ago that it isnt good practice to throw away old shoes before you have new ones. Complete madness, I know, coming from a normal person with a very low spec (but running) vehicle.

Very true, Daan. The idea was originally to do a quick king cab conversion, new cage and tube wings. That didn't happen so things escalated. Totally stupid, should've kept the old vehicle but there we go. Hindsight is a wonderful thing......... <_<

its currently running the largest laminova that they do (so water/oil cooler) worked well today so it may well be staying. i am potentially looking at fitting an air to oil cooler inline with it but at the moment it seems upto the job so will stick with that whilst i get some miles on her.