Bushes

newbieUK

Guys I'm looking for thougts / feedback.

I've got a 4.6 P38 that is used primarily on the road but have an advisory on the MOT relating to radius arm bushes which I would usually take with a pinch of salt, but whilst servicing today you can see the standard bushes are showing signs of cracking so I guess I need to do something about it now.

My question is this.

What is everyone else using and the pro's and cons / good or bad experiences?

So far I've looked at

Deflex

Polybush

Britpart

OEM

I don't want (or need) a rock hard ride so whatever the choice should offer similar ride to the originals Landrover rubber bushes.

Thanks Paul

I also went for OEM. I didn't want any 'poly' devices because:

I didn't know what the resulting ride would be like.

I expected the life would be less, because the inner metal bush is not bonded to the flexible 'poly'.

The purchase price was higher.

You don't say whether you DIY or not.

Note the OEM bush has a larger external diameter than the hole in the radius arm.

The official way of resolving this is to push the bush through a tapered sleeve before the bush enters the arm.

I believe some people on here have created / used some other method.

HTH

I also went for OEM. I didn't want any 'poly' devices because:

I didn't know what the resulting ride would be like.

I expected the life would be less, because the inner metal bush is not bonded to the flexible 'poly'.

The purchase price was higher.

You don't say whether you DIY or not.

Note the OEM bush has a larger external diameter than the hole in the radius arm.

The official way of resolving this is to push the bush through a tapered sleeve before the bush enters the arm.

I believe some people on here have created / used some other method.

HTH

If I were to go down the route of a poly type bush it would almost certainly be a DIY job, but as I don't have a dirty great big press if I stuck to the OEM it would be going into a garage.

I fitted blue Polybushes to my old P38. They gave the car massive steering shimmy at speeds above 30mph. Any pothole or undulation would set off a huge amount of wobble (terrifying at motorway speeds) that could only be resolved by using the brakes.

I re-fitted standard OE bushes and had a comfy useable car again.

thanks for the input guys, I guess I'm going to stick to OEM's then.

I take it there a real barsteward to fit as a DIY job ??

Have a browse through the Technical Archive before you give up on DIY.

If there is nothing in the Archive, then the mention I think I've seen must have been a short comment in a Forum, in which case Search both the RR and International Forums.

Good Luck.

Years ago I fitted a set of genuine orange polly bushes to my old classic along with decarbon dampers and fast road springs, The result was one of the best handling RR I have ever driven, this was confirmed by a LR mechanic who couldn't belive how good it was!

On the latest RR I went for a set of the Deflex bushes, absolute rubbish compared to the genuine polly bushes.

Either spend the money on genuine polly bushes or superpro's don't bother with any of the other or go for OEM

Brookers

^^^^^^^^^^ wot he said^^^^^^^^^

Deflex are worse than rubbish. As you are predominately on road I would go for genuine bushes. It can be very cheap to do if you take the arms to the garage rather than book the car in.

• 2 weeks later...
If your not going to fit original bushed go for genuine polybushes, I just fitted a set to me second vehicle I've used the blue comfort ones but kept the original rubber OE bushes for the shock absorbers.

Is it still comfortable with the blue bushes or has it stiffened it up a lot?

Guys I'm looking for thougts / feedback.

I've got a 4.6 P38 that is used primarily on the road but have an advisory on the MOT relating to radius arm bushes which I would usually take with a pinch of salt, but whilst servicing today you can see the standard bushes are showing signs of cracking so I guess I need to do something about it now.

My question is this.

What is everyone else using and the pro's and cons / good or bad experiences?

So far I've looked at

Deflex

Polybush

Britpart

OEM

I don't want (or need) a rock hard ride so whatever the choice should offer similar ride to the originals Landrover rubber bushes.

Thanks Paul

I have a 4.6 with Polybushes on the front radius arms and panhard rod. Most of the vehicle's life is spent on Irish backroads with poor surfacing. I have had no vibration problems and the ride quality is very acceptable. The standard bushes need a special tool to proess them in the poly's are a DIY job.

WillC

Just to add even more confusion to the whole issue.

I was at my local indepdent yesterday for an LPG problem so thought I'd ask them whilst I was there, and they told me they have started fitting the Britpart bushes and have no problems with them at all.

I'd almost given up on poly type bushes, but now I'm keen again, although I think I would be more inclined to go for Polybush blue over Britpart for no other reason that no one has commented on the Britpart ones but there's plenty of feedback on the Polybush ones and most of it seems to be positive.

Whilst on the subject has anyone got Britpart bushes fitted ??

I changed the radius arm bushes on my P38a yesterday with OEM. Even with a 20ton press it was very difficult to get them in. I had to resort to machining on end to make it slide in easier (and straight). Even then, I neede 5 new ones to replace the 4 old ones, as one cracked when being pushed in.

well guys here's the update.

I manage to win a fleabay auction so i am now the proud owner of a full set of polybush blue for a little over £50 so I'll be heading down the road of replacing the OEM's with these at some point when the weather gets warmer.

Any tips on fitting these that could potentially save me a lot of heartache ?

I had polybushes on the old Classic (blue 'comfort' ones), and they were a huge improvement, particularly in terms of road handling over the worn OEM bushes. I've never had the chance to drive a truck with polybushes and an identical truck with OEM bushes back to back, so I can't say how the two really compare. The P38a has much better ride and handling to start with though, so I'd question whether it's worth it on them anyway?

I bought a full set of polybushes intending to do it myself, but after doing the panhard rod decided to pay a garage to fit them - fitting the polybushes is easy, but getting the old standard bushes out is a major PITA if you don't have a press. It perfectly doable but it's pretty slow work and I didn't fancy doing the whole truck! My thinking was that if I needed to change any bushes again it would be an easy DIY job, but since the bushes would probably have lasted the rest of the lifetime of the truck that was probably irrelevant.

Be warned that some garages at least are less than inclined to go near the A-frame (classic at least - I think it's a similar setup on the P38a?) as they fear they'll end up having to do the ball joint too. The one I used handed those bushes back to me when I collected the truck and told me they hadn't bothered to do them :angry: So make sure you know exactly what they're agreeing to do when you book it in.

Would I polybush again? Not sure - I think I'd probably just have OEM fitted, unless I had lifted suspension and went through bushes regularly (in which case I'd go polybush so they were easier to change).

Be warned that some garages at least are less than inclined to go near the A-frame (classic at least - I think it's a similar setup on the P38a?) as they fear they'll end up having to do the ball joint too.

As you asked the question ... the answer is No, the 38A doesn't have the A frame like the Classic.

The radius arms for the rear axle have 'conventional' rubber bushes at the chassis end, and don't look too difficult to change. I've never done it.

The axle end is completely different, as the arm is clamped, and doesn't pivot around the mounting point; if those ever go I'd suggest it's a case of new arms, as these twist in use to fulfill an anti-roll function, as well as an axle location function.

HTH

As you asked the question ... the answer is No, the 38A doesn't have the A frame like the Classic.

The radius arms for the rear axle have 'conventional' rubber bushes at the chassis end, and don't look too difficult to change. I've never done it.

The axle end is completely different, as the arm is clamped, and doesn't pivot around the mounting point; if those ever go I'd suggest it's a case of new arms, as these twist in use to fulfill an anti-roll function, as well as an axle location function.

Interesting - I wonder how big a part that plays in the superior handling of the P38a? I could imagine quite a bit!