300TDi core plug behind the turbo

muddy

Evening all.

My newly aquired 300 disco has the coreplug behind the turbo missing, i put a new one in but after 5mins of running and excessive revving it popped out :angry:

I dont think it was seated properly, well i hope so :lol:

So any tips on getting it in and seated properly preferably without taking half the engine in bits would be cool.

Cheers, Will.

When you fitted the first one did the lip of the plug go in till it was flush with the block (or slightly below flush)?

If not then there is reason for it to come out. If you did then you may have problems getting another to stay in place. You will need to use a new one and it may be worth a few minutes spent measuring and selecting the largest one you have available.

For those with a rusted and inaccessible plug I have the following bodge.

Get a flap wheel or wire brush in a flexi extension and clean up the area as best you can followed by a rag full of solvent to degrease. Then cover the whole area with body filler. The last one I did (on an XJ6) was still there 6 years later when the car went for scrap.

Steve

Well what a palava that was!

After dropping the manifolds even with a socket and extension onto the core plug i couldnt swing the hammer so ended up putting a length of re-bar through the iner wing onto the socket extension :lol:

Seems to have stayed in so far ;)

Well what a palava that was!

After dropping the manifolds even with a socket and extension onto the core plug i couldnt swing the hammer so ended up putting a length of re-bar through the iner wing onto the socket extension :lol:

Seems to have stayed in so far ;)

If it is the plug on the exhaust manifold in front of the turbo I had the same issues with the plug popping out - tried all the above but kept popping out - my car runs very rich after allisport chip and intercooler. Was told possibly my exhaust getting too hot. The plug once fitted has 3 little cut outs around the manifold hole where it sits. It helps to tap the edge of the plug into these 3 small cuts with a small chisel. Despite this it kept popping out

in the end i had mine welded in and had a bigger exhaust and stay off the loud pedal - so far since welding its the only way it has stayed in.

I too had this issue - and came up with quite a good solution, although it does require a lathe and a press to make!

Make two washers, about 5mm too big diameter to fit in the core plug hole, with an 8mm hole in the middle.

Using a steel ball, press the two washers to form dishes (a bit like a small wok).

Weld an M8 bolt to one of the washers (making sure the weld is waterproof) with the threaded portion sticking out of the hollow side of the dish. Then use the other washer to form a sandwich in the shape of a 'flying saucer' - with the end of the thread sticking out of the top washer.

In a lathe, turn down the rim of the saucer such that it just fits in the hole in the block. hold the end of the thread with mole grips and tighten a nut, pulling the two dishes flat. This causes the circumference to expand and jam in the hole.

It worked brilliantly and I was able to fit it without removing anything.

Si

• Like 2

• 13 years later...
On 12/8/2008 at 10:04 AM, simonr said:

I too had this issue - and came up with quite a good solution, although it does require a lathe and a press to make!

Make two washers, about 5mm too big diameter to fit in the core plug hole, with an 8mm hole in the middle.

Using a steel ball, press the two washers to form dishes (a bit like a small wok).

Weld an M8 bolt to one of the washers (making sure the weld is waterproof) with the threaded portion sticking out of the hollow side of the dish. Then use the other washer to form a sandwich in the shape of a 'flying saucer' - with the end of the thread sticking out of the top washer.

In a lathe, turn down the rim of the saucer such that it just fits in the hole in the block. hold the end of the thread with mole grips and tighten a nut, pulling the two dishes flat. This causes the circumference to expand and jam in the hole.

It worked brilliantly and I was able to fit it without removing anything.

Si

I love that Si ! 😯

Mo

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Sadly, 13 years on, you can buy a pack of four using the same principle for £12:

I don't think there's any 'sadly' about it 🙂  Rubber bungs is a great idea!  Being able to buy them off the shelf, better still.

• Like 1