Puma owners

Just completed a year with mine. Used every day and it is now our family car.

No real issues to report. Knocking on the overrun when fully warm - the dealer thinks it might have been a slack handbrake and they adjusted it a couple of days ago. Will keep you posted (not had it again yet).

Seats much improved; heating is a world apart; cooling actually works; anti-stall is surprisingly good and useful; 6th gear a revelation.

Fuel consumption slightly worse (although I'm comparing a 110 to my previous 90 Td5); no noticeable torque difference (again, 110 to 90); forward facing seats in the rear are great to sit in but encroach on the load space slightly too much IMHO.

Overall I'm very pleased and wouldn't go back. Some people fear for the Puma in proper expedition conditions but that's just because we don't have many tales yet (good or bad). There are a couple of genuine reasons for concern (inability to change the fuel pump in the field; lower and exposed cooler pump; issue with early sumps coming into contact with the axel) but for those planning serious expeditions, there are plenty of ways to rectify these issues. For the rest of us, the Puma is a hell of an improvement in my opinion.

All you puma owners have had your vehicles for a while now ,are you pleased any likes dislikes silly niggles woul yo go back to Td5 cheers guys :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've had mine here in Botswana since April this year. I have had a number of issues that have been mentioned in other posts (PAS pump, vacuum pump and lately leaking transfer box). On the whole though, I would say that it is an improvement on earlier models (never had a Td5, did have Tdi 300s). I've done about 28,000Km in it so far. None of the failures happened out in the bush happily, as that would have probably skewed my opinion somewhat.

In terms of coping with the conditions I would add that it is as capable in the bush and lets in as much dust as predecessors, maybe even more. I should not really complain about fuel consumption as the only other vehicle I considered at the time of purchase was the 70 series cruiser with a 4.2 litre, no turbo engine that drinks diesel as though it were going out of fashion

I've had mine here in Botswana since April this year. I have had a number of issues that have been mentioned in other posts (PAS pump, vacuum pump and lately leaking transfer box). On the whole though, I would say that it is an improvement on earlier models (never had a Td5, did have Tdi 300s). I've done about 28,000Km in it so far. None of the failures happened out in the bush happily, as that would have probably skewed my opinion somewhat.

In terms of coping with the conditions I would add that it is as capable in the bush and lets in as much dust as predecessors, maybe even more. I should not really complain about fuel consumption as the only other vehicle I considered at the time of purchase was the 70 series cruiser with a 4.2 litre, no turbo engine that drinks diesel as though it were going out of fashion

Mine had more or less the same, plus a heavy clunk on the transmission. I do coincide about the dust problem, especially on the back (110" SW). I have been desmanteling the seats and plastic covers and I found a lot of "holes" where water and dust come through (mud also). This is probably not an issue on developed countries.

Well,

After 1 year and almost 40.000 km and despite the problems that I had (oil sump; some oil leaks in the hand brake and the transfer, a crack in the rear door, brake vacuum pump and other "minor faults") I feel quite happy with our Puma.

I will not change it for other car (well maybe a new 2009 Defender could be)

This is our first LR, so I cannot compare with a TD5 or TDI. As I said some time ago, is not so comfortable like por old minivan and is not as fast as othe car, but is a good compromise (at least for us) between a car to be used everyday in the city and the rough car to be go anywere.

By the way, with 4 childrens the new seat distribution is pretty good. I didnt seen any 4x4 were the 3rd row can accomodate 2 teenagers in good conditions (at least here).

Regards

Had my for a year and a bit, sept reg 07, its really good (but mine has been upgraded allot)

problems = PAS pipe split, had a new gearbox put in.

The clunking on overrun is the exhaust hitting the hand brake drum, I know this as ive changed the drum to an Xbrake, now no clonking....

If you craw under, you can see that there is about an inch from the drum to the exhaust.

All you puma owners have had your vehicles for a while now ,are you pleased any likes dislikes silly niggles woul yo go back to Td5 cheers guys :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Much better heating with integrated air con (more space in passenger footwell).

6th gear is great.

Usefull increase in torque.

Forward facing rear seats are a pain as they hang out over the wheel boxes.

No underseal. A little would have been better than none to start with.

Lousy shift from 1st to 2nd. The rest aren't perfect.

Still the same old water leaks.

More slop in the transmission.

Bosun

Well then my 08 puma hasnt been as i'd hoped, x2 transfer boxs, new sump, vacuum pump, timing switch on clutch, new valves etc in tank, water leaks, and then on monday the 8th engine started to rattle/ engine light came on/ and lost power. its still at the dealers and landrover tech know of the fault but dont know how to fix it!!

Im a little miffed as its my first defender and didnt expect this. oh and its only done 5900 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Well then my 08 puma hasnt been as i'd hoped, x2 transfer boxs, new sump, vacuum pump, timing switch on clutch, new valves etc in tank, water leaks, and then on monday the 8th engine started to rattle/ engine light came on/ and lost power. its still at the dealers and landrover tech know of the fault but dont know how to fix it!!

Im a little miffed as its my first defender and didnt expect this. oh and its only done 5900 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

GET YOUR MONEY BACK :o

Perhaps he means monday the 8th.... :rolleyes:

post-130-1229672012_thumb.jpg

I think that shows the importance of punctuation.

Am I alone in finding some contributions need very careful reading and interpretation? The ones with no capital letters, commas or full stops being the worst.

Chris

Still got my Puma after 1 year and 20,000 miles.

No issues, other than the two PAS fluid leaks (buy they may not have been the cars fault...)

Yes, I liked my Td5, but the better interior of the Puma and 6th gear makes it more usable everyday.

Mainly the good air-con, quickly demisting side windows and better heating. Build quality on mine very good, never had any cabin water leaks and doors close well.

Having said that I just bought a 55 plate RR vogue for everyday... going soft in my old age. :D

Oh yes, the Puma is very good for trialling. TC works at tickover and will get you though with no fuss where others are spinning. No need to rev the engine and spin the wheels to get it working like I had to with the Td5.

• 7 months later...
I've had mine here in Botswana since April this year. I have had a number of issues that have been mentioned in other posts (PAS pump, vacuum pump and lately leaking transfer box).

To follow on from that post in December - the second vacuum pump failed and has been replaced again. There have been a range of oil leaks, some pretty dramatic. At different times each of the front door windows has dropped into the door (not dangerous and a quick job to fix yourself, but hardly what one hopes for), and now the clutch has gone (at about 40,000km). I suppose that will be another few days without it. What these issues add up to is a vehicle which, despite its capabilities when functioning properly, is not suited to working in an environment where failures like this could endanger lives. I would not consider getting another one and look forward to having an opportunity to trade it in for something else.

Interesting comments - doesn't sound good.

There was some wildlife programme on last night set "somewhere in Africa" (sorry didn't catch where) which had one of the specially built open-backed tourist vehicles on it that was based on a Puma which surprised me.

Most of the people here seem to be getting on well with theirs.

Seems there should have been a recall on the clutch anyway. It's a pity because I've had Defenders before, but I'm starting to think twice about remote bush trips without another vehicle, which is really not the way I want to be...

Update:

Now 18 months in.

Mine's an early one so I had the usual PAS pump failure. No big deal - replaced under warranty.

Also I've got the wrong sump on mine so that'll be changed when I get the next oil service done.

Knocking on overrun does seem to be a hand brake problem. The dealer checks it every now and then and I'll stick in an X-brake at some point.

Power steering hose came off and dumped fluid all over my drive. Sorted by LR assist (5 min job and 90 mins of LR chat)

Leak in the front windscreen seal - fixed under warranty.

Corroded headlights; intercooler grille; rear step - all fixed under warranty (surely Wipac lights shouldn't corrode so quickly!)

Overall, very happy with it. We've done major distances with a 2 year old without any issues. Hot weather is a dream with air con that works; cold weather is no problems with a heater that is too efficient and heated seats. You can even hear "the wheels on the bus" go round and round on the CD player thanks to the 6th gear. I'd not have been able to keep Mrs D so happy with the Td5 so definitely the right move.

There are a few known faults (PAS pump, clutch plate springs) that are new to the Puma and some that people have encountered that are in common with the previous version (weak diffs, leaking swivels, poor fit and finish...). Some of these might be exacerbated by the increased torque and the slightly increased angles through the UJs. There are also one or two lemons out there but then that's nothing new - generally it is an improvement IMHO.

New to the lanny world mines an early 07 had a few problems but really happy with it,

Fuel rail & censor

new clutch

Door seals

Back door stay

Leaking swivels 3 times

Sump pan

Floors always wet

But all sorted out with warranty

The only thing i never liked and changed was the suspension put some H/D springs and some billys on it now its a lovely ride