Alloys on a 90

Bandit

Hi everyone

I have come across some landrover alloys, think they came off a range rover a while ago, but they dont fit my hubs..

I have seen these wheel spacers that look like they would do the trick, as the hole in the alloys is too small to fit the hub through. But these spacers are £250 which is out of my price range..

saw these on ebay but i dont think they would fit or would they?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-...A1%7C240%3A1318

Its a 1985 swb if that makes a difference, and does that mean that any defender with alloys has these spacers on them??

Thanks

Sam

Hi everyone

I have come across some landrover alloys, think they came off a range rover a while ago, but they dont fit my hubs..

I have seen these wheel spacers that look like they would do the trick, as the hole in the alloys is too small to fit the hub through. But these spacers are £250 which is out of my price range..

saw these on ebay but i dont think they would fit or would they?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-...A1%7C240%3A1318

Its a 1985 swb if that makes a difference, and does that mean that any defender with alloys has these spacers on them??

Thanks

Sam

How may of these 4mm spacers do you think you would need? You would have to be careful as any more than and your wheel studs will become too short, whereas on the more expensive say 30mm spacers they contain their own set of studs so this wouldnt be a problem!

Alloys won't fit correctly on rear drum braked axles, you can fit a RR or Discovery rear disc braked axle that will take alloys from those vehicles, RR3 & Discovery 2 & 3 alloys won't fit either as the stud spacing is different & adaptors are needed for them.

They'll be too tight on the front hubs too. If they are Disco 1 / RR Classic alloys then buy some 30mm spacers. If they are Disco 2, P38 RR or later you will need conversion spacer as the stud pattern on the later alloys is different to your current stud pattern.

HTH

Mo

They'll be too tight on the front hubs too. If they are Disco 1 / RR Classic alloys then buy some 30mm spacers. If they are Disco 2, P38 RR or later you will need conversion spacer as the stud pattern on the later alloys is different to your current stud pattern.

HTH

Mo

You can fit alloys to early 90's i have done it ,the rear is no problem at all just bolt them on .The front is a bit more fiddly but can be done

The first thing is to take the spring washers off the hub nuts and retighten using a locking compound then i had to basically get the hubs back to original shiney smooth metal but rubbing down with a fine sand paper just to take the years of crud and surface oxidisation off and this should be enough to get the wheels on but do make sure they are on i checked this with feeler guages between the face of the hub and back of the wheel and you may laugh but first check showed quite a few thou difference and when driving it could definatley be felt

good luck

Alloys won't fit correctly on rear drum braked axles, you can fit a RR or Discovery rear disc braked axle that will take alloys from those vehicles, RR3 & Discovery 2 & 3 alloys won't fit either as the stud spacing is different & adaptors are needed for them.

Mostly it comes down to the hubs you have fitted, on early hubs the drive flange is thicker and sticks out further (Ashcrofts site explains the cross over time etc), drum axles are all of the early type as far as I am aware. Many alloys were made to fit the later hub with the thinner drive flange some of these will also fit earlier axles but not all it depends on the clearance inside the wheel. Obviously early alloys will fit later axles with no problems. Most of the time when people are selling alloys they don't point out this difference and are often unaware of it. Range Rover or Disco drive shafts have a different drive flange design which gets around this problem.

I thought the cross over from thick drive flanges to thin was at the same time as 10 spline to 24 spline drive shafts but comments from other people suggest this is not always the case.

Hello all

I am looking to fit Discovery alloys to my 1988 90.

I have fitted Disco back axle so no problem there.

I can see that the Disco front drive members don't

stick out so far as the 90 front ones, so the CVjoint

shaft must be shorter (mustn't it be?) so can this be

fitted into the 90's hub? Ashcrofts site says that the

drive shafts have 23 splines to the CV joint. I know

that there is a slight difference in the PCD. of the 90

and Disco drive members. Has anyone done this or

know if it is do-able? If is possible it might be a cheaper

than 30mm spacers.

Just wondering (hoping!)

(Bodger) Briarston