How do your ratchet handles work?

JimAttrill

In many years, I have owned and used many makes of ratchet handle. All of them, whether Britool, Stahlwille, Snap-on etc had the following way of working: if you click the lever to the left, that is to go cw, ie. to do up a nut, and to click to the right to go acw, to undo the nut.

Recently I have bought a King Tony socket set, seems to be very high quality, possibly made in Japan, and the ratchet handle works the other way round, which I find confusing after all these years - must be 45 or so by now.

Is this some weird Jap standard, like having the indicators on the right of the steering wheel? I was always convinced that the 'normal' method was intuitive, the other way seems wrong to me.

Maybe I should buy another ratchet handle, but good ones are very pricey.

ps by intuitive, I mean clicking the lever cw to go cw and vv seems to make sense to me.

my feeling is that the setup should be lever left for loose, lever right for tight (lefty loosey, righty righty), since that is the was most fittings do up. My tool box has a mix of US ratchets (that use this system) and UK ratchets that are the opposite way round. These days i find there is such a mix that i just check as i go unless i know for definite which way the ratchet is setup.

I have a mix too. The problem I find with the "wrong" way is that its too easy to inadvertently switch direction, especially working in a confined space at arms length where you cant see whats going on, 3am and my shift finished at 2 and the hob nobs were finished at 12 but the dam machine is needed for a life or death mission at fist light!

Is this some weird Jap standard, like having the indicators on the right of the steering wheel? I was always convinced that the 'normal' method was intuitive, the other way seems wrong to me.

Indicators on the right hand side of the wheel is the proper standard. You change gear with your left hand and indicate with the right.

All you old boys!!

how can the direction of the switch on a ratchet be confusing?

if the bolts/nut comes out/off and you want it to go in/on, just flick it the other way!!

amd les, i cant believe you went and checked your ratchets :lol: