Soft Top Conversion

Hi all.

As part of my 90 project I have decided to change from my hard top to a canvas. I had acquired a canvas awhile ago but i need all the other bits.

My question is basically, 1. Where is the best / cheapest place to source a stick set?, 2. Do I need a spare wheel carrier that is designed for a tailgate?, 3. Is there anything I should look for when buying a tailgate (Heavy duty, fittings etc?)?, 4. Where can I buy a tailgate? 5. How much of a nightmare is it to fit?

I know there are various shops/ auction sites that from time to time have these items but I'm not sure what is the best choice. I will probably give the tailgate a bit of abuse so a H/Duty one with cotter catches would be good!

Any ideas / previous experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Paul

When you get a stick set make sure it includes the door surround pieces and the windscreen header rail.

If you are not fitting a roll cage, consider fitting a military roll bar at least, gives some protection plus a top mount for the seat belts. If you aren't fitting either I think there is a seat belt top rail in the optional parts catalogue.

As others have said, the neatest way to do the tailgate is a cut down rear door backed up with a swingaway spare wheel carrier. Alternatively side hang a standard tailgate.

tailgate brackets for defender are bolt on and holes should already be there, although i think some early ones had welded on hinges. any of the usual places should be able to supply them

like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-...A1%7C240%3A1318

again, a tailgate can be supplied new by most parts suppliers for around £85 but good second hand ones are available from ebay or autojumbles.

allwheeltrim have a good reputation and can supply you all the sticks and brackets you'll need

http://allwheeltrim.co.uk/

hope thats of some help :P

Thats a great help thanks everyone! :i-m_so_happy:

I want a drop down tailgate as i need to bolt my engineering vice to it for work. Seen it done else where and thought what a great idea! Thats why I need a strong one too!

The more basic the better really. So does a series one differ from a newer one?

As for security, I live in the middle of nowhere and thought I'd just make sure I don't leave anything out on display. :ph34r:

Thats a good point really! What's the alarm your talking about?

I got all my stuff from All wheel trim. The car was a hard top 90 van

Pict0398.jpg

We stripped the car down and resprayed it and put a Mohair soft top on the 90 . which works really wqell and unlike the Gen land rover roofs they do not shrink. ( i have had 4 90 soft tops and this is the first one i have had made from Mohair. We have a side opening tailgate with a Mantec wheel carrier which opens with the door. The lock is the old door lock out of the old door from the hard top. And it was a new tailgate as they are almost as cheap as buying a second hand one.

This was all done in the Uk 6 years ago and the 90 has lived with us in Australia for the past 3 years.

It does have some extras, Mainly OME shock and coils , Warn 9000, Twin Split charge batties, UHF, Long range fuel tanks, Safari Snorkle,100amp alternator, rear Nas Step, QT diff guards, Rear storage draws, Leather exmoor trim seats, and lockable center cubby box, plus some extra stuff. we drove 25,000 miles around Australia in this car

90.jpg

Lancelin%20Dunes.jpg

cartrailerfront.jpg

we also have a All wheel trim Mohair Bikini top for the 90 too

PICT0483.JPG

PICT0433.JPG

An Aussie mag did a vid on the car , here it is and it shows the roof coming off and the bikini top going on

Vid of my 90

Series tailgate is same as defender.

AWT and Exmoor Trim will sell you a full set of sticks but probably not roll bar. Check out ebay, going rate was around £350 for full set of sticks, roll bar etc and scabby canvas. Mohair is nice but if you are patient, new genuine military canvases can be had on ebay for not a lot.

My next toy will be soft top no matter what it is.

Series tailgate is same as defender.

AWT and Exmoor Trim will sell you a full set of sticks but probably not roll bar. Check out ebay, going rate was around £350 for full set of sticks, roll bar etc and scabby canvas. Mohair is nice but if you are patient, new genuine military canvases can be had on ebay for not a lot.

My next toy will be soft top no matter what it is.

I always used to laugh that people at Sodbury would charge £10 for a series tailgate and £50 for same condition defender tailgate :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have had 4 soft tops so far and love them . Although my 90 now lives in Brisbane so the heater has not been used since it left the Uk and the bikini top is on for 8 months of the year ;)

Not going to make my 110 a soft top, but that has Air con anyway . :D

Ali

I loved the 110 soft top I used to have but as a 2.5NA was no good to me long term. Now got 110CSW (need seats as well) but miss the softop, get ocaissional fix with the 101 ( must take it out more :lol: ) On look out for another toy, will definitely be a soft top and V8!

Just modified the useless aircon in the 110 to get heat to my toes, took a hole saw to the ducting and taped over the vents, hot air to the footwell at last ;)

Just modified the useless aircon in the 110 to get heat to my toes, took a hole saw to the ducting and taped over the vents, hot air to the footwell at last ;)

mmm yeah, don't really have that problem in Brisbane , as i have not ever turned on the heater in 110 sinced i have owned it :rolleyes:

If there were an emoticon for dribbling It would have been appropriate to put it in after seeing your 90 Ali!

Can't wait to get on the case now and get it sorted for summer!

One last question regarding the canvas- I have a brand new military one in the shed for the project so do I need any special parts (i.e. military windscreen rail) to fit it?

Thanks again, Paul

Check the front edge of the canvas, I think there are 2 types and you need the right header rail. One type has what seems like a rope sewn in to the leading edge, the other a flat strip. The round type is the most common but it's been a while since I looked into it. The flat type may be for PVC hoods.

Ali, you are lucky, -6C here at the moment and I reckon I used my kneecap cooler twice in the last year, seriously thinking of binning it!

Check the front edge of the canvas, I think there are 2 types and you need the right header rail. One type has what seems like a rope sewn in to the leading edge, the other a flat strip. The round type is the most common but it's been a while since I looked into it. The flat type may be for PVC hoods.

Thanks sean.

I'l get looking! :D

My 1992 MOD 110 had a very tatty soft top when we got it. So I ordered a new one from All Wheel Trim, ended up getting the one that only covers cab making the truck into a soft top pick up. The AWT top fitted first time and was easy to install. The front of mine had a rope sewn into the fabric which clamps onto the top of the windscreen. There are 4 L shaped handles on the inside above the screen which release the clamp.