Land Rover Camping Event - Swanage - June

Late in Life

Hi Everyone,

I know a lot of you frequent other boards on which I've already posted this but maybe I'll find a few untouched peeps on here.

The title says it all really, you'll find all the details at;

www.4x4-travel.co.uk/campingjune.html

Regards,

Kevin

www.4x4-travel.co.uk

Who is organising this, 4x4-travel.co.uk? I assume this is a money making venture?

Chris

Hi Chris,

You assume wrong, 4x4 Travel is not a money making organisation, my website is purely a personal record of my travels. At the time I registered my domain name "org", "net", etc were not readily available, sorry if that confused you.

As I don't posess any land of my own, I have approached a campsite owner and negotiated a price for one of his group sites, if you've bothered to read the web pages that I've spent the last three days preparing, not been paid for that either, you'll see that the price p/n is £6 less that if you were to arrive on his site independantly. I have also asked a local marquee hire company to supply the marquee, again at a price. I am also negotiating with local business, ie bike hire company, to try and get a reduction on that too, none of that is going in my pocket, the hire will be with them direct.

What a shame there are so many cynics around, makes you realise why nobody tries to help anybody else nowadays.

Maybe you're looking a little too close to home for the motive to do something for others!

Nice to hear from you though (not)

Regards,

Kevin

We have very strict rules concerning commercial spam, and that's what it appeares to be. There are several thousand members of this website - a large portion of which contribute financially or technically to it, so commercial spammers have a strong incentive to post on here, and we keep a wary eye out for them. Your response above was remarkably rude.

Les.

Hey Kevin, now that was rude to Chris. :angry:

As Les has said we dont take kindly to spammers here on this forum, and if perhaps you had given a little more information in your first post, Chris would not have made the assumption that you were.

When I first read it, it sounded like it was being arranged by a commercial outfit, with money to be made from the event.

If you had merely said that you were arranging a social get-together, the reaction would have been different.

Martin

We have very strict rules concerning commercial spam, and that's what it appeares to be. There are several thousand members of this website - a large portion of which contribute financially or technically to it, so commercial spammers have a strong incentive to post on here, and we keep a wary eye out for them. Your response above was remarkably rude.

Les.

Hi Les,

I've been around on many sites, like your good self, I've never been a commercial organisation and I've never tried to make money out of free forums. This is a genuine offer of a cheap few days away for anyone with a Land Rover, to be able to camp on a site with others sharing a similar interest.

If I have offended anyone on here then feel free to remove my post and delete me from the board.

As you repeated yourself 4 times I guess that you meant it.

Chris, is mini-organic not a commercial venture then? Only it is advertised as part of your signature

Regards,

Kevin Beech

Here is my original post from LRO, to be honest this was written long before the website was created, and to be honest again I was fed up with reading it.

As the website now says much of what the original post said I didn't see the need to edit it yet again.

So, maybe I was wrong, I still feel that the original reply was stronger than necessary, and in no way was the reason for being that direct explained.

Hi Guys and Girls,

For the last couple of years (summers specifically) I have been planning to arrange a LR meeting in our area.

What I was thinking of is a camping holiday in one location where LR nuts could all get together and talk Landies as much as they want. I have been a member on here for around four, maybe five years, and have had some fun chatting with various members, but we rarely get to meet.

Living on the south coast, as I do, I've thought it would be a good place to organise something during the summer, where, as well as getting to meet each other, there would be plenty to do during the day so that it would make a good holiday.

I'm sure most of us have visited Billing or something similar. What I find with events of this type though is that the LR community is so diverse. In the main the Rangies don't mix with the Overlanders, the Series people don't have time for the Discovery folks, etc, everyone is there for the show and it is a very varied mix of people.

I am thinking of something along the lines of an event in June, yes the whole four weeks, the event just being a place where anyone with a Landy can come and camp for anything from one night. It could be a week, a weekend, just the one night, whatever, but you would be certain of being with other Landy people, and more importantly, Landy people that want to mix with others.

June is an excellent time, although I can't promise the weather will be good, the days will be long, the water warm and the beaches relatively quiet.

The site that I'm thinking of using is right next to forestry land, no, no no, there is no off-roading, but great for mountian bikes. Poole Harbour is around four miles away, bring a canoe/kayak, wind surfer, etc (I can point you in the direction of free parking and access to the water). Swanage is also known for its diving, sea fishing, walking and just sheer beauty. As I said, there is lots to do. There are toilets and showers, and a small shop. The field that I'm proposing to use is just outside of the main site and is set aside for groups.

If there is enough interest I would arrange for a marquee so that there would be a place to meet, share a beer, and somewhere as a central point for those that wanted to meet others. Costs for a vehicle, tent, up to four people and pets. if required, would be £10 per night.

Ok, that's the general idea, I'm open to comments and ideas, I think it would make an exciting short break for some Landy lovers, and at £10 a night for the whole family it would be a cheap holiday.

I look forward to some comments, and maybe even some interest.

Happy New Year to you all,

Kevin

Kevin, don't take it too personally.

The forum gets a lot of spam - and I guess it's just peoples first assumption.

I looked at your site - and when I saw the cost was only £10 per vehicle for camping, figured nobody was going to retire on that!

Can you tell us any more about what you are planning? Is it just intended to be a social event or is other stuff planned?

Si

Now I don't wish to sound jaded and cynical, but I am so that's how it comes across...

You assume wrong, 4x4 Travel is not a money making organisation, my website is purely a personal record of my travels. At the time I registered my domain name "org", "net", etc were not readily available

So your website is over 20 years old then? :huh:

I checked your site but failed to find any details (its obviously there as others have seen it!). Maybe you should post up a direct link to it to save people trawling through to find the relevant details. I can understand you getting upset with Chris's blunt response but I can also understand where he is coming from as it was my first impression too, simply from the way your post was written.

And its perfectly acceptable for any member to link to a personal website in their signature, whether commercial or not, 4x4 related or not. Its amazing how much you can glean about someone you have never met simply by this avenue. Im all the years Chris has posted and contributed to this forum I imagine he has never ever mention in an open thread that he sells Organic baby clothes so please do not try and hold that up as an example of blantant advertising......

Oh and if you want some organic lamb to roast at your camping event

then look no further than here vvvvvvvvvvv :D :D :D :D :D

Kevin

I am sorry if I have touched a nerve - I have touched a nerve have I, you are not usually this sensetive are you? Perhaps you have just had a difficult day?

My question was only asking for information, not pointing a finger of accusation, I am very sorry you read it that way.

There are not many people who would arrange this sort of thing wholly out of the kindness of their heart, so I hope you will forgive my assumption that is was a commercial venture. With such a professional looking website it was an easy mistake to make - I did look briefly at the website but I freely admit that since it is not the sort of thing I am specially interested in I did not read in detail. With your obvious people skills, I would stick to doing it for the love if I were you.

www.mini-organic.co.uk is indeed a commercial site, thanks for drawing attention to it. :) You will see as you become an established member of LR4x4 that adding a link in ones signature is a common and accepted practice.

Chris

Hi Chris,

You assume wrong, 4x4 Travel is not a money making organisation, my website is purely a personal record of my travels. At the time I registered my domain name "org", "net", etc were not readily available, sorry if that confused you.

As I don't posess any land of my own, I have approached a campsite owner and negotiated a price for one of his group sites, if you've bothered to read the web pages that I've spent the last three days preparing, not been paid for that either, you'll see that the price p/n is £6 less that if you were to arrive on his site independantly. I have also asked a local marquee hire company to supply the marquee, again at a price. I am also negotiating with local business, ie bike hire company, to try and get a reduction on that too, none of that is going in my pocket, the hire will be with them direct.

What a shame there are so many cynics around, makes you realise why nobody tries to help anybody else nowadays.

Maybe you're looking a little too close to home for the motive to do something for others!

Nice to hear from you though (not)

Regards,

Kevin

Following a PM from Kevin (who it seems is now on Mod approval), I'll echo Chris's comments that no offence was intended and he's possibly just a victim of offering to organise something from the goodness of his own heart. Let's hope that is indeed the case, it'd be good to hear from any forumers who attend.

it'd be good to hear from any forumers who attend.

And after this evening of grief some had better attend.

Same here guys, no offence intended as I hope my pm's to you all, due to mods blocking my posts to moderate them before posting, have explained everything.

For those that want a "clicky" link;

www.4x4-travel.co.uk/campingjune.html

Ok I can't make it clicky, not allowed, I'll try to post it as my signature

and for those that may come so that you'll know who I am

338651.png

Regards to you all,

KMevin

I think the event will be excellent - I can't make it, as its a bit far and not in the school hols :(

Good luck with it Kev - good on you for organising it too. Not easy being motivated enough to do something like that

I reckon you should have copied your post from landrovernet - more info and explanation :)

Steve

Thanks Kevin for your PM, do you expect poeple to pre book or inform you of dates?

We are going to attend but want to make sure others are about, and that it's not just me and the wife sitting in a field!

Andy

Hi Andy,

Before I shell out a large sum of my own money booking the site I need some commitment from you guys.

I'm asking for £10, at this stage from anyone that wants to join us, and an indication of when they may be coming and for how many nights, this is not carved in stone. This info will allow me to update the calender on the site and then everyone will get a better idea of when people are coming and how popular the event will be. The £10 is non-refundable should you cancel, however if the event is cancelled the £10 will be refunded to you.

As I'm sure you are aware, it is easy to say "hey what a fantasic idea, you have my support" but......

There has been a lot of interest, and I'm sure when some of the clubs get hold of it maybe several members will come as a group, at this early stage I've got several friends that I've made through the forums as definates.

The way it works is that at this time I can increase the size of the plot in multiples of approx 15 vehicle blocks. So if a week is quiet I can have one plot, if the adjoining plot gets booked by someone else in March then I'll not be able to increase whatever the demand. The reason that I choosen June is it is unpredictable for campsites and that is in our favour.

I should add, the whole of the field is booked by one group for the week ending 5th June, hence my start date, it is also booked solid from mid july until the end of August.

Sitting in a field with your wife will not happen, if it is just the two of you I'm afraid I will have to cancel, I'll book you a room in a hotel it'll cost less than a field. Lol.

Kevin

I'll just add a little more.

When I booked to go to Billing 2 years ago I paid around £70 up front for a camping pitch. When I arrived I drove around for about an hour before someone reduced the size of their pitch, drew in their guy ropes a little, so that we could just squeeze in.

We'll have none of that. There will be room for everyone that books a place, if it is not done early there may just not be a places and some will be refused. Hope this is seen as an honest and factual reply, by everyone.

I think its great that a Land Rover Event is being organised in My local area, thanks Kevin! Solent and District Land Rover Club are hoping to attend, we have set up a link for our members! I would urge as many Land Rover owners as possible to attend aswell, I know the campsite he is using and its in a good area with nearby lanes, beaches and other attractions such as Corfe Castle just up the road.

It is a shame his initial reception by the forum was "a little reserved" but I can understand a forum such as this being wary of spammers, scammers and profiteers.

I would like to offer Kevin any assistance he needs if it will help his event become a regular occurance.

I think its great that a Land Rover Event is being organised in My local area, thanks Kevin! Solent and District Land Rover Club are hoping to attend, we have set up a link for our members! I would urge as many Land Rover owners as possible to attend aswell, I know the campsite he is using and its in a good area with nearby lanes, beaches and other attractions such as Corfe Castle just up the road.

It is a shame his initial reception by the forum was "a little reserved" but I can understand a forum such as this being wary of spammers, scammers and profiteers.

I would like to offer Kevin any assistance he needs if it will help his event become a regular occurance.

Thanks for the support Big Jer, Let's be positive.

I'd love to see a small section of the site with a SADLRC banner/flag on it. Also I'm hoping clubs will bring some piccies, etc that can be displayed in the marquee.

Although I'm organsing this event; it will be "owned" by the people attending. I'm aware that the website is lacking some detail, the website was originally a continuation of my original post on one forum. What I had written was still fresh in my mind and I omitted to include that detail on the site. All will be sorted in the near future.

Ideally, this will be an event large enough to make it interesting but not so big that we don't get the opportunity to talk to everyone. The marquee is available to anyone that may want to display photos, videos, etc. If I can arrange a "big" screen of some description then that will be available too. At this early stage I don't want to make promises and raise exptectation to a level that I cannot achieve, so for the moment it is a

"campsite with a group of Landy owners sharing a holiday"

Kevin

Bizarre -i lived in the area for years with landrovers and was a marshall at one of the few sites in the area and yet ive never seen Kevin, or i dont think big-jer or many others - shame ive moved now as it weould have been nice to meet you all.

Still, i know a lot of guys round there - i'll make them aware of this event.