Damm got a flat

Keith Keir

While driving up to my digs in fraserbourgh I have a flat now they say at the garage that its no use because its been run flat. The only spare I have is smaller than these wheels. Is there anyway I can drive home with this wheel? or is there no way?

Because the only other optionm is I get a lift home with a mate and try and get my spare set of wheels up there somehow. :(

Did you continue to drive it while flat? If so, you could have damaged the carcass and the tyre will deform/be significantly weaker. If it went flat and you pulled over to the side of the road, then there's usually no problem with a repair and the tyre is fine once again. Punctures can be repaired, but not in all circumstances - the size of the hole and it's location on the tyre are the main factors.

Les.

Theres no hole in the tyre at all. What happened is a funny noise started so I slowed down and it got worse so I pulled in and it was flat and then got it taken on the back of a truck to the garage. All it looks like is that the inner tube went bust there is some rubber dust around the inside of the tyre.

Rubber dust inside the tyre is bad news - it has usually come from the sidewall and I would also condemn a customers tyre that showed something like that. If a tyre suddenly goes completely flat you can wreck it in 100 yards running on it. It might blow up and it might hold air and it might go bang at 70mph because of damage to the cords/wires. Just not worth the risk.

In a word, yes (you can drive it on a small spare). So long as the size differemce is only say 2" in diametre then you will be able to drive home at sensible speed with no damage. I drove the full length of Wales this way and to be honest you could hardly notice any difference from normal. The diffs will take up any differences in roilling speeds as they are doing constantly when driving round corners. If you are still worried then drop the front prop, stick the smaller spare on the front, whack in the difflock and drive home in rear wheel drive. If you are running 35" tyres and have a 29" spare I would be inclined not to try it!

But get it fixed ASAP

I think what I am going to do is wait till next week. I can get one of my spare wheels up here that will match the spare so what I will do is whap them on the front and remove the prop and drive home like that. Is there any reason why I couldnt put them on the rear and remove the prop?

Colway Macho's are probably hard to find these days. Why not have a chat with the tyre place and see if they have a part worn tyre in the same size as what's on? Should be cheap enough and do to get you the 100 or so miles from Fraserburgh to Inverness. Then you can sort the problem at your leisure.

Keith,

When do you need to get back to Inverness?

I've got a fair pile of wheels/tyres kicking around my place, If you can me the sizes I'll have a look - you never know!

If I've got one, it won't be on a steel Defender Rim (Maybe Disco Steel or 3 Spoke Alloy), we can arrange to get it to you via Forum Relay (I'll bring it) and I'll get it back whenever.

If you run with a different size tyre (regardless of whether the prop is in or not) the axle diff will take care of the difference, BUT! depending on the type of diff the wear on the cross pin for the gears (planets?) will be the main issue. They are not especially well lubricated from the diffs I have looked at (and the one that broke on the cross pin).

How much it will affect anything I don't know, but if it is a substantial run then it will weaken the cross pin to some degree.

If you do the run check the diff oil level, and if possible try to top it up or overfill to reduce or stop the extra wear.

I don't know how much effect this will have on the centre diff, I would think that it would be less or none, but I have a mental failure on gears....

I've run a 205 spare on a LR rim with 235/85 tyres on 8-spokes as my normal set - the biggest problem was the difference in offset causing the steering to pull when I braked. The size difference was fine for a couple of hundred miles until I could find another tyre - make sure the centre diff's unlocked and be aware that it's illegal, that's all.

If you run with a different size tyre (regardless of whether the prop is in or not) the axle diff will take care of the difference, BUT! depending on the type of diff the wear on the cross pin for the gears (planets?) will be the main issue. They are not especially well lubricated from the diffs I have looked at (and the one that broke on the cross pin).

How much it will affect anything I don't know, but if it is a substantial run then it will weaken the cross pin to some degree.

If you do the run check the diff oil level, and if possible try to top it up or overfill to reduce or stop the extra wear.

I don't know how much effect this will have on the centre diff, I would think that it would be less or none, but I have a mental failure on gears....

if's a rear flat, just remove the shafts and prop then ;)

Edit : but then you'll have 2 holes either side of the axel........ so would need some blank flanges as such.

G

I have a mate up here with a car so he is giving me a lift home this week (he lives 30 miles past inverness) then next week hes bringing another spare the same size as the spare i have on at the moment :) there fore i will have 2 wheels the same size on the axle so surely if i remove the prop then there will be no ill effects on the diffs?

Its just to get me home like.

Also i stay at this B&B every week so the person that owns it dosnt mind it being on the road over the weekend. :)

Thanks for the offer of a spare but i might as well wait intill i get my other wheel up.

if's a rear flat, just remove the shafts and prop then ;)

Edit : but then you'll have 2 holes either side of the axel........ so would need some blank flanges as such.

G

A workshop rubber glove does a good job, plus zip lock. It also looks quite comical as you watch it :)