magnecor leads??? are they worth the money??

maxtherotti

hi all im looking to make the ignition system up to scratch on my old bus

as my car has lpg i realise the ignition takes a pounding so i will be putting new cap/rotor and leads on it

for the cap and rotor i will be getting genuine parts but for leads is it worth going magnecor or oem??

whats your thoughts and why then chaps???

o and what plugs too please ??

rob

If it's a Classic Rangie then get Genuine leads as well, they are £26ish last time I got them from Dingocroft, Magnecor might be nice, but hardly worth it IMHO.

And NGK BPR6ES for the plugs -don't waste your money on expensive ones, the V8s just don't like them.

If you want an HT lead that has insulation capable of doing it's job then the answer is yes, they are worth it.

If you want an HT lead that won't start arcing and cross firing whenever you go within 6 feet of muddy water then the answer is yes, they are worth it.

The Magnecore leads on SWMBOs 3.9 are now 7 years old and have never missed a beat (running petrol and LPG). I've never known a set of OEM or other HT leads last more than a couple of years before they need replacing due to insulation breakdown.

Been using genuine leads and cap for some time now (3.9V8 90).

The electrics have never given me cause for concern near water, they seem to handle the splashing remarkably well.

I should add that I don't go wading as deep as the Megasquirt boys, up to the top of the seatbox is enough for me :)

Been using genuine leads and cap for some time now (3.9V8 90).

The electrics have never given me cause for concern near water, they seem to handle the splashing remarkably well.

Ditto, a set of new LR leads actually have very good tight fitting boots, without being too bulky.

cool in that case i think i will get some then

out of interest whats the retail price of them most places seem to be around the £80 mark

rob

When I looked a few months ago, everyone seemed to be about the same. I bought set of blue magnecor leads and NGK platinum plugs from www.spark-plugs.co.uk that had free shipping.

Very prompt to ship.

Cheers

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
well got my leads and they look a well made set of leads

and the best bit was £50 delivered for magnecors B)

next day delivery off the chap too

will report back once fitted

rob

Hello. Im new here but im planning on becoming a frequent visitor, not just because i have a Range Rover with engine niggles... :huh:

To cut a long story short ive been looking for magnecor leads to sort a misfire and problem with the engine dieing when cold with partial throttle. (not sure if this is caused by the leads but ive been through everything else i can think of) Any ideas of what could cause the revs to drop from idle when the throttle is pressed slightly but pick up again when you press a bit more (only happens when the engine is cold) would be very nice. :rolleyes: But i dont want to hijack this thred so ill go and start my own if you like.

That sort of ended up being a long story. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, back to why im on this thred. The magnecore leads are very tempting but the price is slightly scary. :blink: I was wandering if you could tell me where you managed to get yours at such a good price maxtherotti? It would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

i got them off a guy on ebay who had lots of them (i belive all sold now tho?)

and i never fitted mine as im selling the car to get a diesel but have just sold them on

rob

o and welcome aboard chap!!!

Ah :( , oh well. Maybe ill not get magnecor then. Cheapest ive found is £85 all in. When you can get a Lucas set for £16 or Lumenition (dont know if they are any good) for £50 im wandering if the money could be better spent. :unsure:

Cheers for replying. :)

Thanks!

Ah :( , oh well. Maybe ill not get magnecor then. Cheapest ive found is £85 all in. When you can get a Lucas set for £16 or Lumenition (dont know if they are any good) for £50 im wandering if the money could be better spent. :unsure:

Cheers for replying. :)

Thanks!

Mallory are worth considering too, if you're after above average leads - not sure what a set sells for at the moment.

Thanks geoffbeaumont, i have found some mallory leads at v8tuner but they only have yellow in stock and im not sure if i want bright yellow ones..

Cheers q-rover, prices seem very good. Just wandering with those, will they be much better than the sets you can get from paddockspares or the Lucas ones. Hmm, the 8mm seem to be yellow as well, maybe i'll have to go yellow. Just thinking out load really.

Maybe there isn't as much to these leads as some would have us believe, and if you have 8mm silicone over a carbon core then its going to work fine. <_<

Thanks for the help by the way. :D