Which moddest engine  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which engine to put into my Rangie

• Have my 3.9 rebuilt to a reliable/modest power spec
    • International HS 2.8 TGV
    • 300tdi
    • Jap diesel (which?)
    • Large Yank V8

2.8 Isuzu, front mounted intercooler & tweak the pump the same as the 200 & 300 TDi pumps ( they're virtually identical), even better get one from a Vauxhall Frontera, they've got the bigger turbo & a FMIC already, perfect with a Rangie drive train. Jez would say that the cam belts on these are easy to change & so they are but if you can get one with timing gears rather than belt you're home & hosed, look for metal domes on the front rather than flat ribbed plastic cover. No hassles with water ingress while wading then.[Helmet & flack jacket]B....y site more reliable than anything LR ever made. [/ naaah!, I'll just keep them on :ph34r::ph34r:

Actually, if it weren't for the cost, the 2.8 TGV is probably the best way to go, getting an awesome reputation around the world, shows what a Land Rover engine could be like if it'd been done properly.

Cheers, Steve

anybody got any views on the Isuzu 3.0TD there are lots of them here in Riyadh

200 Tdi engine is better for the price of a International HS 2.8 TGV you could get a re-con re worked 200 Tdi that would be bullet proof :ph34r:

My mate has owned the 200tdi and 300tdi and has advised me to stay well clear of the 200tdi, as they are a bitch to work on compared to the 300tdi.

anybody got any views on the Isuzu 3.0TD there are lots of them here in Riyadh

If this is the 3.0 DOHC diesel from the 98 & later Troopers & Wizards etc, its a real grunter of an engine, 156hp standard, but also has some real reliability issues. Do a search for Isuzu 4JX1 motor. It would blow most Landie trannies to bit, Might be OK in an E38 Rangie though. From about 2002, the 2.8 (4JB1) was replaced by a 3.0(4JH1) derivitive of the 2.8 with electronically controlled injection, ( like the later 300TDis in autos I think), this is a pushrod OHV engine same as the 2.8 though, still gives about 130hp, but not the same low torque as the Landie diesels. I've a mate who has one in a Rodeo & tows his boat over steep hill around here no probs.HTH

Cheers, Steve.

Have just voted for the Rover V8,

a, it is already fitted so no messing in that department,

b, it is a good light unit,

c, If you think that JE Engineering do all of Bowlers engines with no probs, why shouldn't you,

d, sounds great,

e, go 4.6 and rev it less for the same power and more Torque

f, fit it to an auto box at the same time and you will be in heaven.

g, Deisels are great but they sound 5hit compared to a V8

h, The sound

i, THE SOUND :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lara

Think my next project will also be V8 :D:D

Well I voted for the 300tdi.

Strange from a guy who loves V8's!

Reason: If I was starting from scratch on a car that was going to be relied upon for regular road use then I would go for the coughs and sneezal.

The only reason I dont have a squeezal is ....I love V8's (boy hood dream etc), Ive got 5 very good V8 engines to play with (3.5 x 2, 3.5 turbo, 3.9 rebuilt, 4.0 blue printed) and they are in my toys.

If I had to rely on my off roader for road use, no way would it be the v8, expense would stop that instantly.

I pritty much second all that

while we're on about the 2.8 motor, can anyone tell me the contact details of the place in Netherlands

that imports them?

thanks,

Tom

all round nice guys in Nederlands to be found HERE

I love the sound a diesel makes in water, its easy to hear over the silence of a V8 stranded in a lake...........

:D

I think the V8 is going to be my choice. As i can probably get a really good rebuild for the price of a 300tdi with matching auto box and it is less hassle. The V8 all ready has a new gearbox so it would be a same to lose that.

Now when looking for a re-build what should i be looking at having done? I want a bit more torque with a lot more reliability. I am thinking of a general rebuild top hat liners, Properly balanced maybe even blue printed, Some head/plenum flowing, uprated cam and tubular exhaust manifolds?

Not sure on what size engine? What do the builders class as a dynamic balance?

depends what you are willing to spend, if your thinking blue-print your talking total rebuild.

A Cam maybe your best starting point, check out RPi:

RPi Cams

Also, if you pull the EFi off the top and look into the tunnel, if it's black and gungy your looking at a thorough rebuild, if it's reasonably clean then you possibly got the chances of a good engine to start with, worth it just for a valley gasket

We have a company car and it aint the perk it used to be( taxed to the max)

And with running 2 LRs as well, the extra money dont go far!!

Im not on a bad wage, I afford and run two Land rovers quite comfortably, Used to have four cars on the road between two of us until recently. And as for the company car i pay no tax, the fuel is paid for, infact im getting paid for the privilege :D

Lucky you! we thought about the "opting out" doda , you know leasing a car for work use only.... was just as damed expensive!!! when you do about 30,000 miles a year.!!!!

:(

I am lucky. My car is free but only for work purposes (you wouldn't want to be going down to the supermarket in it anyway ;) ), that’s why i still need the Rangie but it will be doing very few miles.