How many miles left in a Td5 110?

Dunc

Hi everyone,

New job is going ok and i'm slowly paying off the credit card and about to kill the last loan, so things are moving on. As a result, SWMBO has said that once i've finished the extension (only one rise and the roof to go!) we can have a new truck. This will be to replace the ageing Mondeo estate and the off-roader-come-toy-come-have-to-have-a-Land-Rover Disco and be our all in one beast. The new one will be a 110, we think with Td5 power because bizarrely they seem cheaper than an older Tdi.

Slightly ahead of the programme, this popped up.

ac20_27.JPG

A friend of mine did the normal "look at this" thing and it's got us thinking, mostly because it's so much cheaper than the Tdi's we've been looking at as part of preliminary research to find out what we can get for our money.

The link to it's classified ad is here; Classified Ad

My questions are;

1/ How many miles are left in a Td5 at this mileage?

2/ Are they all starting to hit this sort of money?

3/ How vulnerable is the Td5 underseat electrics box when wading?

4/ Do the NAS rear steps fit the Td5 rear cross member? I understand the Td5 rear cross member is different to 'normal' ones.

I'm sure i'm going to ask millions more questions and have loads of false starts before i actually get my 110, but hopefully them times' a changin'!

Oh, by the way, i've also ordered a Hyland coupling from Oz for my off-road trailer build! :D

1)Well mines got 192k on it with no engine probles at all. Pulls like a train and out runs my mates low millage 300tdi by miles

2)I paid £6k for an ex AA 110SW with more miles a year ago seen a few other ones in the £6-£8k price range. To many dealers have help prices artificially high for to long

3)mine has more holes in the box for extra electrics neever had any water in it and thats when its been in to over bonnet levals

4) I dont know but i've seen them on TD5's so they must be avalible.

Overall that one looks quality and a realistic price. I'd go for it. Though it shouldnt be on freestyle alloys there not rated for the weight of a 110 maybe you could use that as a bargining tool

Nice 110 Dunc, a TD5 should be good for years & starship mileage, 140,000 it's just getting nicely loosened up. I'd check the weight rating of the alloy wheels if you intend to load it to max weight & if you go for it before you insure it, those aren't standard 110 fit.

NAS rear step should fit fine.

Thanks guys.

I didn't notice the wheels were wrong. I guess it's 'Thrust' alloys only then?

To be honest, i'll be happy with one rolling on steels for the time being.

I might see if they'll do a deal, but like i said it really has come along just before we're in a position to do anything about it unless we start borrowing before everything else is paid off!

Looks nice , But i'd stay well clear of that one if its been any where neare that salt water behind it. Even salt water spray can devastate a vehicle in 3 years, let alone a defender with mismatch alloy/ steel abutments. Buy a nice one from Surrey or somewhere thats not SUR LA MER.

Thanks guys.

I didn't notice the wheels were wrong. I guess it's 'Thrust' alloys only then?

To be honest, i'll be happy with one rolling on steels for the time being.

I might see if they'll do a deal, but like i said it really has come along just before we're in a position to do anything about it unless we start borrowing before everything else is paid off!

Boost alloys your thinking of. :D

The following 110s did not make reserve at this weeks Brightwells auction. The price, described as 'Guide' is the 'Buy it now' price. If anyone wants pictures, PM me your email address and I will froward the email.

2003 03 Land Rover Defender 110 Lwb Diesel County Station Wagon Td5 Ref: 567/330

31197 miles warranted, Blue, 5 Services, One Owner, V5 here, MoT 04 Jun'09, 2 Previous Mots, Tow Bar, Chequer Plate Wing Tops, On Site, No Major Mechanical Faults, No VAT.

Guide Price (including buyer's fees): £10000, Buy Now Terms

2003 03 Land Rover Defender 110 Lwb Diesel County Station Wagon Td5 Ref: 567/52

68800 miles warranted, White, 6 Services, One Owner, V5 here, MoT 28 May'09, 3 Previous Mots, Chequer Plate Wing Tops, On Site, No Major Mechanical Faults, No VAT.

Guide Price (including buyer's fees): £8600, Buy Now Terms

2003 03 Land Rover Defender 110 Lwb Diesel County Station Wagon Td5 (9 Seater) Ref: 567/337

67950 miles warranted, White, 7 Services, One Owner, V5 here, MoT 18 Jun'09, 2 Previous MOTs, CD Player, Electric Windows, Tow Bar, On Site, No Major Mechanical Faults, No VAT.

Guide Price (including buyer's fees): £8800, Buy Now Terms

2002 02 Land Rover Defender 110 Lwb Diesel Station Wagon Td5 Ref: 567/43

82500 miles warranted, Red, One Owner, V5 here, MoT 8 Jan'10, Tax Apr'09, On Site, Sold As Seen, Plus VAT.

Guide Price (including buyer's fees): £6850, Buy Now Terms

2002 02 Land Rover Defender 110 Lwb Diesel Station Wagon Td5 (9 Seater) Ref: 567/363

82122 miles warranted, Black, One Owner, V5 here, MoT 09 Jan'10, Chequer Plating, Tow Bar, On Site, Sold As Seen, Inc VAT

Guide Price (including buyer's fees): £6850, Buy Now Terms

2002 02 Land Rover Defender 110 Lwb Diesel Station Wagon Td5 (9 Seater) Ref: 567/362

53816 miles warranted, Coniston Green, 5 Services, One Owner, V5 here, MoT 11 May'09, Chequer Plating, Alloy Wheels, Old MOTs, Tow Bar, On Site, Sold As Seen, Inc VAT

Guide Price (including buyer's fees): £7450, Buy Now Terms

HTH

Chris

Thanks for that Chris.

Brightwells is only 8 miles from me and i spend far too much time there, and we were planning a trip over next tuesday for a breakfast and some price checking. I'd heard that all the Pendragon stuff will be heading through without reserve due to them folding, although i have no proof that this is true.

Really does seem to be a buyer's market at the moment, and if that means i can have a nice 110 then all the better!

Also related; are heated front windscreens a factory option? If they are, from what year?

The last one on Chris's list looks to be a really good price.

If you can afford it, go for a 02 or later Defender

Also related; are heated front windscreens a factory option? If they are, from what year?

Yes, available on it's own or part of cold climate pack. IIRC it's been an option on all TD5's.

It's easy to retro fit to a Defender without.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.

Why do you say 02 as the cut-off Steve? Model changes?

Lots of minor tweaks and changes to engine, electrics etc that made it slightly better to drive and slightly more reliable than earlier models. Also minor dash change that is a benefit too, especially if you want to add accessory switches etc.

Lastly ECU became flashable so if if you want to remap later on it's typically easier/cheaper.

Cheers

Steve

i would go for 03. they have better front doors. the 02 have wielded front doors (the top angle pieces are joints) while the 03 and beyond have a one piece inner frame.

not that it really matters, but it's just nicer. besides the price aint that different.

difference is at the 02 and beyond. so there were engine modifications from that point.

02 and beyond has the 3 pointometer accelerator (which supposed to be smoother), although they are interchangable with some ecu programming.

check that all the bushings are ok. they start to harden and crack at about 100k(km) if it's a road vehicle. so that can save you some money if they aint worn out.

TD5 injectors have a rated life of 200k miles at least, so all those are within it's life and shoudn't give any drama. make sure no oil in ECU loom. Td5 are famous for doing that. if there's plently, means the vehicle might be driven hard often. if there's a lil, it can be easily sorted as it's just beginning.

i would go for 03. they have better front doors. the 02 have wielded front doors (the top angle pieces are joints) while the 03 and beyond have a one piece inner frame.

Nope. My '04 has the original type doors - though the '02 on had the revised rear door. More like '06MY for the one piece side doors.

2002MY came in from '51 plate; you are looking for the 'One piece' rear door, non-Salisbury rear axle and the revised dash with centre 'console'

Chris

Nice. Unmolested, so i can be the molester! :D

The other two are nice too, but i can't have a pick-up because we want the nice large back for the three dogs. Maybe one day if i win the lottery i'll have one as my daily and S-J can have the 110!

:D

I can see i've got a lot of learning to do in respect to this wiring loom stuff and what bits came where. I like the centre console thing, think it looks good and much better for the radio.

Didn't know they did one-piece side doors. I knew the back door was available in steel one-piece, but not when it changed.

I think i've managed to get past the psychological barrier of not having a proper throttle too! :lol:

Hi Dunc,

I used to run a defender 130 Tdi with a quadtech box body and have recently upgraded to a 2001 110 double cab TD5.

The differance is just amazing its like going from a tractor to sports car, especialy if you make a trip to TD5 ALIVE and get a stage two performance package fitted with remapping of the ECU.

I would highly reccommed this tuning package as it turns an already quickish vehicle into a sports car like offroader.

Its not cheap but it makes such a differance and the economy isnt alterered, if anything i find it slightly better as your not up and down the box so much.

As for the NAS rear step mine came with one fited, so yes they will fit.

Make the move and i don't think that you will look back, i haven't. B)

No immaculate but only just over 40K on the clock. And it remains in the cheaper tax bracket W reg 2000....... £6200 ono

about 20 miles from Hereford if you want to have a look!

post-1427-1232553003_thumb.jpg

Being sold by neighbour..PM me for his contact details

Love to, but i haven't got the cash together yet and it's really got be a full body not a pick-up because the wife thinks the dogs will escape...

Thanks though, much appreciated.

You ever tried to talk sense to a woman Ralph? Doesn't work.

On the plus side, that small pick-up bed doubles the charge for the Severn Bridge because all of a sudden you're 'commercial', so having a full body does have other benefits.

You may get away with it on the bridge as I have been led to believe that ALL Landrovers, regardless, cross the bridge as cars due to some long standing agreement. I have certainly only ever paid my £5 ish for the Disco commercial while towing a challenge truck while Kris following in the Hilux always pays £10ish.

post-1427-1232584687_thumb.jpg

Lets see the dogs get out of here!

dogs can't get out if you padlock the rear panel closed. unless they've learnt to pick locks.

:blink: You never know how these dogs teach each other the tricks of unlocking padlocks!! You will be surprised what they do when they are left alone!! :o