Winch Solenoids

tuko

I recently bought a Warn 9.5Xp winch that will be replacing the M8000 on the front of the hybrid. With this new winch I'm looking at going with the ever so popular Allbright solenoid and wireless remote control.

Reference has been made a number of times that the "allbright equivalent" solenoids are up to the job working just as good as the original. I'm looking for some real world comments from those who actually use one of these equivalent solenoids, are they any good?

At the same time I'm considering a wireless remote with the winch, placing the solenoid and the wireless transponder up high some wheres in the engine compartment hopefully keeping them dry and out of harms way. Are there many here that have gone wireless? Was it worth it? Myself thinking that I would no longer have to play around with the hand control wire when winching would be a bonus.

I've been looking at this package at eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-Contactor-Wirele...%3A1|240%3A1318

Is that a good price or is there some wheres else that you guys would recommend to do business with?

Cheers,

Todd.

I have an "albright equivilant" on the front of my landrover for the last year and not had any problems, It hasnt been moved to under the bonnet either so its had a good pleanty of good dunks under the mud and water.

Cant comment on the wireless though.

Dave.

If the batteries go flat in the remote, you could end up stuck right when you just don't need it -if you go this route I would still wire up some in-cab controls (very simple actually) and you'll probably find you rarely need the remote, if at all.

I've had no experiance of the superwinch allbrights, But i got about 2 years out of a pair of standard albrights before they died of water ingress, fitted a pair of cheap ones, one didn't last the event the other died the following weekend. i then bought a pair of h/d allbrights these are still going strong.

I actually thought about the internal controls to, but would that cause conflict with the hand control? I would suppose that going this way you'll still have the need for the hand control.

Also reading here I saw that it was suggested to always carry extra batteries for the remote for those "just in case" momments.

Overall, the comments that I've seen on the solenoids is that they are OK, I have no intentions of using the landy for comp or such, just everyday use and the odd trip in the woods.

Todd.

Thanks Ralph.

I saw a picture of your solenoid earlier on the forum.

With the remote controls, a friend has one of those budget 12000 winch on his RR that is remotely controlled. The remote unit, being an unknown brand name, it worked perfectly fine. Even under full load, Donald just kept his finger down and the winch kept on trying to get him out. The point is, it worked and seemed to be very handy and less hassle.

The challenge guys, do they run with remotes on their winches or do they stick to the tried and tested hand controls?

Todd.

Can't say much for the relay copies as I have not had them long.

Both winches are switched from inside using the now redundant RRC window switches. They also both have hand held plug-in cables. The rear (cheapy 12000) has a radio remote which works out to about 3x the length of the winch rope.

Steve

Any recommendations for internal winch switches?

Believe they should be on/off/on momentary(???) switches. Toggle or rocker switches?

Any particular switches recommended or will any old on/off/on switches do?

Regards

Brendan

Carling switches from mudstuff and X-eng are good too.

Steve

Second vote here for Carling switches.

I also got mine from Mudstuff, and incorporated a solenoid for the main winch supply cut off into a second Carling on/off as well.

Granted mine isn't a challenge motor, but the controls have worked well on the occasions I have had to use them for recovery. Being a V8 without Megasquirt as yet, deep water doesn't bother the winch.

Thanks folks and apologies to Todd for hijacking his thread

Mudstuff is not far from where I live so will be calling around there. I get my 110 back in the UK in a couple of weeks then the decision making process will start on what to do with it and in what sequence.

Get ready for a flurry of techie questions from me in a few weeks as I am certainly no mechanic.

Regards

Brendan

No probs here Leeds. ;)

I'm reading the replies with great interest. Didn't I read some wheres here that somebody was using power window switches from a Nissan for internal winch controls?

The 9.5xp that I'm getting is used without the hand controls, therefore the idea of going directly to wireless remote is the most appealing to me.

Todd.