Hummer tyres

Grant.

No they won't if they are 16.5 inch. I read somewhere once that the US Army deliberately specified the Hummer with 16.5 inch rims to prevent slippage in their tyre stocks which might also explain why these are on Ebay :)

Do not fit a 16.5 inch tyre onto a 16 inch rim as it will probably blow onto the bead and then go bang when you don't want it to!

If you can find a set of 16.5 inch rims for a Land Rover you will be fine, but the words hens teeth and rocking horse poo spring to mind...

No they won't if they are 16.5 inch. I read somewhere once that the US Army deliberately specified the Hummer with 16.5 inch rims to prevent slippage in their tyre stocks which might also explain why these are on Ebay :)

Do not fit a 16.5 inch tyre onto a 16 inch rim as it will probably blow onto the bead and then go bang when you don't want it to!

If you can find a set of 16.5 inch rims for a Land Rover you will be fine, but the words hens teeth and rocking horse poo spring to mind...

hmmm.......

So you couldnt stretch it onto a 17 inch rim?

I suppose it is why they are so cheap as there is such a small demand for them??

I don't know whether you "could" but I do know you "shouldn't"!

As to why they are cheap, in a word, yes :)

Either the seller "liberated" them or bought them and then found they wouldn't fit anything apart from a Hummer. We've had a BFG MT sitting in a corner at work for the last ten years as it was shipped wrong with one of our orders and turned out to be a 33x12.50R16.5 and they don't fit anything else I have ever seen!

If they were only for low speed off road use you MIGHT get away with it (I know somebody running a set of 15.3" tractor tyres on 15" white 8 spokes though they don't seat properly and there is a horrible wobble on them) but there is always the risk of blowout and they should not be used on a road under any circumstances as you will get absolutely crucified by the police and the insurance companies if anything happened.

If it helps, the tyres are 36 x 12.50 on a 16.5 (I asked the seller since I couldn't read the numbers on the pic).

Al.

Yea thanks Al, I asked the seller and he told me earlier :)

bit of a pain that they wont fit correctly since there so cheap!!

Looking at this from another angle, IF you were to get some custom rims made up (I think Allied Rockathon do 16.5 inch rims so can make them with Land Rover PCD, I'm sure there will be others) although the wheels would be expensive initially you'll have an almost endless supply of cheap tyres to go on them :)

I've got a spare set of 37x12.5x16.5 tyres lying around from my Hummer, you should of said when you were down!

Don't bother with the effort of getting rims made. As said above the 16.5 rims don't have a safety bead, so must be run at 25psi+ to prevent blowing a bead. Also the military Hummer tyres are very high load rating, so won't flex at all, even if you do get them down to low pressure on a Landy. And if you need spares and there aren't any on Ebay it's importing tyres from America time. The Goodyear wranglers on the Hummer cost about £280 each.

Now if you can get hold of a set of later HUMVEE double beadlocks to re-centre, that's a different matter....

I asked about these too, the seller must have a bulging inbox :lol:

If i bought them i would just run them on some double external beadlocks.

Will.

now theres a clever idea, that extra half inch wont mean anything when fitted to beadlocks and you could then run them at 2psi to make up for the super stiff construction.

running them at 0psi wont change the sidewall construction, if its too stiff (fnarr) they wont deform - big Zil tyres can be run flat and still look like they are pumped up! (44's for about £100)

the joy of having no saftey bead is that internal beadlocks become a whole heap easier :)

running them at 0psi wont change the sidewall construction, if its too stiff (fnarr) they wont deform - big Zil tyres can be run flat and still look like they are pumped up! (44's for about £100)

the joy of having no saftey bead is that internal beadlocks become a whole heap easier :)

hmmmm.......

Where can you get tyres for Zil's??

Im intrigued :)

Dont know where i would get a 20 inch rim for a defender though