brit part springs

ben

i have put standard hight uprated britpart springs and bilstien shocks front and rear on my td5 90 and the front end is ride high. wondered if this is right as i have been looking at other rovers with suspension mods and they don't seem as high. hope someone knows something.

p.s i'm 99% sure i have put the correct springs on the end of the rover

Had exactly the same with a set of standard Britpart springs I put on a disco a little while back - seemed to be an ich or two up at the front.

They're just quite stiff springs I think - sure they'll settle down after a little while. You could also put some of the rubber spring isolators on top of the rear springs - this will lift the back up a cm or so.

I'm no suspension expert.... but I think putting a heavier duty spring rate in has the same effect as increasing the pre-load on a standard spring - ie it increases the ride height because the spring supports more weight and thus reduces the static sag ......

Though I'm sure someone will be along to tell you the real reason soon :D

The problem with +2 etc... is they rarely take into account the vehicle type or the weight distribution. The best handling Defender I've ever driven is Pam's 90 which is on 50th Anniversary LR springs, it uses a differently rated spring on each corner !

I have approx. a 2inch lift on mine by using LR OEM springs with HD 110 hard top springs on the back and Disco rear springs on the front (red and whites I think). Took a while to find the right combination of springs but I'm happy with them now and it handles really well and I know pretty much that any replacement I buy is going to be the same rating/height.

The problem with +2 etc... is they rarely take into account the vehicle type or the weight distribution. The best handling Defender I've ever driven is Pam's 90 which is on 50th Anniversary LR springs, it uses a differently rated spring on each corner !

Just out of interest Dave, do you know what the colour codes of the springs are on the 50th.

Thanks

Steve

I'm no suspension expert.... but I think putting a heavier duty spring rate in has the same effect as increasing the pre-load on a standard spring - ie it increases the ride height because the spring supports more weight and thus reduces the static sag ......

If they are a standard height heavy duty spring, they should have a shorter length to compensate for higher load rating.

I've just replaced all the legs on my 110 with Britpart bits. I also noticed the front end was high, I second checked I had the correct spring in the correct place!

The coils at the bottom of both front springs wern't as tightly wrapped as the original springs they replaced. I just assumed this was due to the originals sagging. But within a week the front has come down to where it was originally, and the bottom few coils on the front springs have compressed more, looking more like the originals.

Two chains of thought here, either the new springs are defective as they've sagged like the old ones or,

there was nowt wrong with the original (22year old) springs I replaced!

does it make a difference which way up the springs are put in. I have got them with the tighter few coils at the top. As i'm writing this i'm thinking it could be a bit of a bone question as they must compress the same which ever way up their are.

Factory fitted dual rate springs came with the tighter wound coils at the top. I've seen various reasons given for this incluiding reduced unsprung mass (is it really going to be that bad on a LR with beam axles) and if the coil bound springs were at the bottom then they could act as a mud trap.

Gereally though it doesn't seem to make too much differance. I konw at least one person that had realised they had different coil spacing after fitting them different ways up on the same axle with no apparent ill effect, though it did look odd.

Go to the cupboard and get yourself a biscuit :P

Just out of interest Dave, do you know what the colour codes of the springs are on the 50th.

Thanks

Steve

Sorry, can't help you there, we just looked in the parts book and, as we'd fitted a 3.9 auto setup figured 50th Anniversary would be the right setup so ordered the part numbers in the book. I'll have a look later and see if there are any colour codes visible on them still - they've been on there for about 6 years now.

cheers

Dave