Series 3, What size tyres ???

mudmuncher

Hi all

I have a series 3 with a 2" lift and standard arches i am running 235/85 16 at the moment with no problems.

My question is can i run 31/10.50 x 15 or will i get running problems ??

Also i am not great on tyre sizes are 31/10.50 x 15 much bigger than the 235/85 16 ???

Many thanks chris

Don't forget how much tyres can vary in size as well. I've seen two lots of 235/85/16's side by side one set was about an inch taller and an inch wider than the other set.

So some people have no problems fitting 235's wheras other get problems.

I have a similar setup to you. Series 2A 2" Lift Std Arches, and I have 235/85/16 MT's on which are large for 235's and I wouldn't want to go any bigger - I've already lost some steering lock and my back wheels rub on the inside of the arch on full articulation

Hi all

I have a series 3 with a 2" lift and standard arches i am running 235/85 16 at the moment with no problems.

My question is can i run 31/10.50 x 15 or will i get running problems ??

Also i am not great on tyre sizes are 31/10.50 x 15 much bigger than the 235/85 16 ???

Many thanks chris

Don't forget that with the larger tyres you might need to strengthen the half shafts or you will "wind up the diff".

pikefly

Take a look at the following site which gives you the option of calculating different tyres and the % speed difference:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html

My Series only has 205/70/16 :( So I can't even clear a muddy rut...

Great find, however not totally reliable since his comment on Motorcycle speedos would make all motorcycles illegal in the UK due to construction and use regs!

Marc.

• 3 months later...

I have a similar query relating to tyre size.

I have a 1981 Series 3 109" Safari, currently on 265/75/16 on white 8 spokes, with standard leaf springs. I also have a set of 1 Ton rims, that I'd like to put 9.00 x 16 / 255 x 16 tyres on and fit to the Safari. I know the 1 Tons had extended spring hangers / dumb irons and different (ENV) axles, but does anyone know if I would have any problems with this wheel tyre combo on my otherwise standard 109 LWB?

I don't know the offset of the 1 Ton rim, but I reckon the 900 x 16 tyre is only about 3 inches taller than the tyres currently fitted. I'm afraid to lift it, as I understand it causes problems with the prop shaft articulation and / or axle rotation?

Any advice greatfully received!

Jon

The 1 ton rims have the extra width - 1" on the outside of the rim. 9,.00 will loose steering lock, should be alright with 235's, might even be able to turn the lock stops in a bit and improve the turning circle. used to run 1 ton rims when I trialed a series. wouldn't go for the 9.00's though too tall, 1 tons had a different transfer ratio I think.

Great find, however not totally reliable since his comment on Motorcycle speedos would make all motorcycles illegal in the UK due to construction and use regs!

Marc.

almost every 'modern' car i have driven has been well over 5% out, so its not just motorbikes. this is according to my various GPS devices. the most accurate speedo i had is in my series 3 at the mo :D

i did quite a lot of testing with this too, I went out with a garmin satnav, a tomtom go, and my dell PDA with tomtom and memory map installed

the 3 different GPSs all read within 1mph at 70, but the speedo was reading 76

this was in a 2003 Seat Ibiza. the pool cars i use at work are the same, and so is my pug 405

Great find, however not totally reliable since his comment on Motorcycle speedos would make all motorcycles illegal in the UK due to construction and use regs

How come? If I remember correctly, vehicle construction and use regulations require vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%, so over reading within these limits is legal.

again, tyre sizes are not all the same, my disco had 235/10s on it when it came to my posession, i swapped these for some insa turbos of the apparent same size, they were about an inch taller and 1/2 an inch wider, which is why i had to adjust the arches slightly.

It depends on the wheel offset as well, Ive got miss matched wheels front to back with 31x10.5x15s, the fronts are in the arches and dont rub on anything, the rears stick out 30mm each side, they also dont rub. The old 750-16 SATs that I used to have on it broke all of the supports off the bottom of the seats in the tub....

Those rims you're running must really be wide. :blink:

No standard LR rims, from memory I think the 750-16s were about 33 inch, it was the top of the tyres that rubbed on the bottom of side seat part of the tub. The springs in it are not original (dont know what they are from) and it seems to articulate a lot more at the back than other 88 SIIs Ive seen (that dont use parabolics

edit

ah probably should have written 7.5-16....

No standard LR rims, from memory I think the 750-16s were about 33 inch, it was the top of the tyres that rubbed on the bottom of side seat part of the tub. The springs in it are not original (dont know what they are from) and it seems to articulate a lot more at the back than other 88 SIIs Ive seen (that dont use parabolics

edit

ah probably should have written 7.5-16....

I understood!

Anyway it only goes to show that tyre manufacturers don't all use the same tape measure, except when it comes to rim size.

One interesting thing, when I was getting new tyres last year (avon range masters 7.50 R 16) the tyre fitter measured the width of the rim, (a standard 5.5 x 16 LR LWB rim), with a standard rim width gauge and found that they were actually 6 inches.

Which gives one a little more leaway when choosing tyres. As many modern 16" tubeless tyres require a minimum of 6" rim.

G.

I've only managed to get my 7.50s rubbing on the tub when cross axled once or twice. I have heard of stories of people fitting transit springs to Series vehicles in the past too. Maybe that's along the lines of what a previous owner has done on your motor?

I've only managed to get my 7.50s rubbing on the tub when cross axled once or twice. I have heard of stories of people fitting transit springs to Series vehicles in the past too. Maybe that's along the lines of what a previous owner has done on your motor?

Thats possible but it is in NZ and was put together out of bits, I think they are probably LR parts but just not off an 88. It used to get cross axled all the time, how else do you show up much newer jap stuff!! It sits about 80mm higher than a standard SII 88 but not quite as high as a skippy