What seats fit series runners Help please !!

mudmuncher

Hi all

I have got a series 3 which at the moment has bucket seats in it.

I want to change the seats back to a land rover type but i dont want series seats

What will fit sereis seat runners without modification ??

Will 90/defenders seats fit ???

Will discovery 1 seats fit ???

Many thanks in advance for any replies

Best regards Chris

I'm pretty sure you'll need the runners to go with other types of seat, and due to the shape of the Series seat box a lot of seats will put your knees against the steering wheel. Nowt wrong with good Series seats, failing that Defender ones are IMHO pretty damn good.

• Like 1

Cheers Fridgefreezer

What has everyone else fitted to there series in the way of front seats ???

Anyone fitted 90/disco if so how did you make them fit ???

Many thanks Chris

A friend as fiesta XR2 seats fitted, I find these a PITA to use, I end up with the top of the windscreen on my LOS but he is a shortarse so it's about right for him.

I have some weird seats in my current Series, not sure what they're from or how good they are.

Mine are Exmoor Trim Defender seats, a bit bling but all the 2nd hand seats I found were utter carp and minus the runners (which are £100 :blink: ) so I splashed out, and they've been worth every penny. The 109 is more comfortable on a long journey than my 06 Vauxhall van was :huh:

Guest otchie1
Mine are Exmoor Trim Defender seats, a bit bling but all the 2nd hand seats I found were utter carp and minus the runners (which are £100 :blink: ) so I splashed out, and they've been worth every penny. The 109 is more comfortable on a long journey than my 06 Vauxhall van was :huh:

Bog standard 90 seats in mine, bolted straight in to the series seat holes but makes the hinged lid to the passenger under-seat storage impossible to open.

They even tilt forward to gain access to the bulkhead and/or seat pockets.

Defender seats fit perfect: I have them in my 88...

I've also seen Disco seats in a Defender, so I suppose that it is possible to fit them without much hassle in a Series... But personaly, I wouldn't fit Disco seats in a Series. It is like fitting Ferrari seats in a Citroën 2CV :D

Guest otchie1

No, Defender seats need Defender runners. The Defender runners fit over 4 of the Series seat bracket mounting holes making it easy to do - remember to pack the underside of the runners up a bit to allow room for the sliders to, err, slide :-)

Don't fit Disco seats. They are a pain to bolt down and you end up too high and too far forward in relation to the steering wheel - well I did anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted 90 seats in my 88, swapped them round so the leavers are in the middle so you dont catch them climbing in and out,remove the hinge on the seatbox lids,secure with a catch on the front so you can remove the base (pops out) and slide the lid out forwards to get into the box.

remove the series runners and the 90 seats bolt straight in using the same holes.

• 12 years later...
  • 1 month later...

When I had a Series 2, I went through half a dozen different seats including Volvo, Peugot 205 (which would ttip forward enough to access the fuel filler under the drivers seat) and several others.  None of them ended up being all that comfortable to be honest.  I ended up using Defender seats which were the best fit in all respects - and really comfortable on long journeys.  They don't look as comfortable to the eye - but for me, they are just right! 

• Like 1

I have pre-2007 Defender seats, as I find the post 2007 seats less comfortable (no lumbar support).  They fit the Series seat base without drilling new holes, allow access to the fuel tank and tool box, have the correct geometry (as the Defender seat base has the same dimensions), and also meet homologation requirements for authorities and insurers as they were also used in 1980s SIII station wagon Countys.  They’re very supportive and more comfortable for me than the later type, Range Rover or Volvo seats.  In fact, for me they are the most comfortable car seats I’ve used.

You can buy new or refurbished from many places, or get the foams and covers easily to refurbish them yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Same as @simonr - I had MG Metro seats in the 109 for quite a while which were nice, but at the rebuild I fitted a decent set of standard (Exmoor refurb) Defender seats and they are as comfortable as anything - 3 trips to Russia and back tested them further than a lot of Series seats ever get tested :lol:

Same with the 127, we just fitted decent stock Puma seats and they're fine even on long trips.