Traffic light cameras rigged to catch more motorists

FridgeFreezer

Italian red-light cameras rigged

It's no secret that red light cameras are often used to generate more ticket revenue for the cities that implement them, but a scam has been uncovered in Italy that has led to one arrest and 108 investigations over traffic systems being rigged to stop sooner for the sole purpose of ticketing more motorists.

It seems to be becoming legal precedent that if you're caught by some automated system you are within your rights to examine the source code of the program, there have been several others like this.

It seems to be becoming legal precedent that if you're caught by some automated system you are within your rights to examine the source code of the program, there have been several others like this.

wouldnt that totally bugger the system if every individual asked Plus then you would need all the tables and data that was in use at the time

they would almost need to hold a duplicate of the program and the data base against every picture

Nice, especially if the software is patented. "Hi, you caught me, can I see the source code please? Oh, it's patented and you can't, shame, cya then!"

Nice, especially if the software is patented. "Hi, you caught me, can I see the source code please? Oh, it's patented and you can't, shame, cya then!"

Actually, if it's patented, it's already in the public domain.

If any of you get a copy of the code - I'd be interested in a look. I can speak several computerey languages!

Si

Reading the link it all revolves around shortening the time for amber. So all you need to do is time the lights change rather than challenge the software.

So who knows what the UK time sequence is?

Steve

ETA Found it on another forum

Amber alone for traffic stopping = 3 seconds

Red and amber for traffic starting = 2 seconds

Actually, if it's patented, it's already in the public domain.

If any of you get a copy of the code - I'd be interested in a look. I can speak several computerey languages!

Si

Si in that case could you translate Tweaky from Buck Rogers in the 25th centry I could never work out what he was saying.... ;)

I believe the (previous) legal arguments have been along the lines of questioning the accuracy of the speed camera and the potential for mis-readings, and without the source code the manufacturers cannot turn up in court and say "Our gear is 99.9% accurate" because they could just as easily be plucking numbers out of thin air. Obviously in most cases it's fairly clear cut and you wouldn't be wiggling out of it, but someone somewhere has had cause to challenge it and set a very handy precedent for examples where things are marginal or seem not-quite-right.

ETA Found it on another forum

Amber alone for traffic stopping = 3 seconds

Red and amber for traffic starting = 2 seconds

I suspect you will find that the length of the amber light is a function of road geometry and speed limit.

I suspect you will find that the length of the amber light is a function of road geometry and speed limit.

Apparently not. It is fixed and does not vary with the speed limit. What they do change is the 'all red' time. This is the period from one direction going red and the other coming of of red.

Steve