Examples of dangerous recoveries

FridgeFreezer

During the recent trip to Åland, my friend got his RRC stuck. With my portals and 38,5" Swampers i could easily go round him in the bog for a front recovery.

he had a decent front bumper with attachement points and a bridle, i had Jate rings on the rear frame horns and a bridle and a KERR in between, we thought we were safe.

While trying again and again, slowly increasing the length for speed-build up as I use to I managed to reverse over my bridle. i wrapped itself one turn around the rear axle. We put in the right position for self rerotation and i slowly drove over it before pulling hard. BANG!

My end of the KERR with shackle went through his grille, autobox cooler (flexalite, not original) and dented the ACcondenser and moved the radiator about an inch rearward.

Phew!

The analysis shows that my bridle was apparently damaged while wrapped around the axle, which seems reasonable as we think about it.

Check you equipment frequently and especially after something strange happens!

First pic is just before the incident and the second is after :unsure:

Tobias

post-945-1214335444_thumb.jpg

post-945-1214335530_thumb.jpg

I witnessed a near miss using a KERR at an AWDC event on Salisbury Plain (I think) in the early 80's. Somebody attempted to recover a bogged Range Rover. There was loud bang as the tow hitch parted company with the recovery vehicle's crossmember and further bangs as the hitch passed through the Range Rover's rear screen and out through the front screen - removing the passenger side head restraint on the way. I think the driver was wearing brown trousers when he got out.

I did have some pictures but haven't a clue where they are now.

It has already been mentioned that the Army only allows kinetic recovery of hard vehicles - with good reason it would seem.

I witnessed a near miss using a KERR at an AWDC event on Salisbury Plain (I think) in the early 80's. Somebody attempted to recover a bogged Range Rover. There was loud bang as the tow hitch parted company with the recovery vehicle's crossmember and further bangs as the hitch passed through the Range Rover's rear screen and out through the front screen - removing the passenger side head restraint on the way. I think the driver was wearing brown trousers when he got out.

I did have some pictures but haven't a clue where they are now.

I saw a photo of that in a magazine - OR&4WD I think - probably the same one it was definitely a RR and I remember the head restraint being missing. I have been looking for that mag as I thought I still had it somewhere but never found it.