One for you elecy people

landrover598

I want to make up quick release jump leads for my land rover and was wondering what size connector do i need to use?

175 / 350 amps, it's a tdi engine landy

And what size / type of wire should i use, and do i need to run the return back to the battery or straight to the chassis ?

Where is the cheapest place to get the quick release connector, wire and big croc clips from ?

I want to make up quick release jump leads for my land rover and was wondering what size connector do i need to use?

175 / 350 amps, it's a tdi engine landy

And what size / type of wire should i use, and do i need to run the return back to the battery or straight to the chassis ?

Where is the cheapest place to get the quick release connector, wire and big croc clips from ?

I may have just the thing you are looking for! They will go on the web on monday.

4.5m 35mm ultra flexible welding cable terminated in 175A Anderson connectors on one end and 10mm ring terminals on the other. The long bit has a pair of 400A welding clamps (you just cant get croc clips man enough!).

The 175A connector is easily enough as it is continuously rated at 175A. I have stuck 1200A through the 50A connectors and although they get hot, they are not damaged even with 5 min duration. You can short out an optima for over a minute with the 175A without it getting noticably warm! 350A is way over the top.

My leads will cold crank a Tdi immediatly or run an 8274 (6Hp) on another vehicle quite happily.

I'mdoing a complete kit for £60 retail with a bit of a discount for forum - if you are interested! You'll struggle to get all the bits for that assuming you use cable which is up to the job. I wouldn't go anywhere without mine!

Si

Guest diesel_jim

On my 90 i use an military inter-vehicle slave lead. these have the round plugs/sockets on them, and the cables are 70mm2 (i think, from memory).

plenty beefy enough thoug... i think i could tow using them! :rolleyes: probably overkill, but like Simon's ones he's mentioned, far better to have too much than too little!

Got my croc clips from the local motor factors, think they're rated at 24v lorry kind of amperage, so rather like welding kit.

Simon, how much wire is there between the connector and the battery ring terminals ?

and where is the best place to locate the connector ?

Personally using 175a connectors, 40mm extra flexible cableand croc clips with no problems. All sourced from VWP. Simon's kit sounds good though

Dave

Personally using 175a connectors, 40mm extra flexible cableand croc clips with no problems. All sourced from VWP. Simon's kit sounds good though

Dave

I can reccomend the 175A anderson connectors. I'm in the process of installing them on all the maitenance vehicles at the airport.

Ive gone from the battery + and the chassis or battery - with 25mm cable (rated at 175A) with heavy duty ring crimps to an anderson socket mounted on the front grille of each vehicle.

The jump lead is made from the same 25mm cable with an anderson socket on each end and the additional handles on the anderson sockets. This allows jumping between vehicles fitted with sockets.

Ive also made up a 0.25m length set with an anderson socket on one end and the other has crock clips, you can plug this into one end of the socket to socket lead and allows you to jump vehicles without charging sockets.

for the 175A models you can get dust covers which keeps the carp out, i dont think the larger and lesser ones do. The handles for the jump lead are a nice add on and make connection easy.

The kit isn't cheep, but its solid. Ive got a heavy duty set of crimpers to make my connections but you can solder them on. Ive also used airfield lighting cable heatshrink over the connections to keep the moisture out.

All parts sourced from VWP.

Cheers

sounds a lot like....

anderson1.jpgjumpers.jpg

Did this after the first time I attempted to attach a jumper cable to a defender battery.

There is a 200A slowblow fuse in series, under the seat. Most parts donated from

a large-ish dead computer uninteruptable power supply. I also have this stubbie bit

just in case I need normal leads, or the other battery is very close :blink:

anderson2.jpg

I've only ever had to jumper othe peoples cars since :)

regards

Matthew

You can buy Anderson connectors from this Ebay shop - Truck Electrics - £6.99 for 175 amp item, £11.99 for the 350 amp item. IIRC, Warn sell the same item but in red, rather than grey.

Neil

Ive used a combination of RED and GREY connectors to diffrentiate between 24V vehicles and 12V vehicles, they arn't interchangable so theres no chance of jumping a 24V from a 12V or vice versa. The only problem with this idea is that you need two sets of jump leads. My 24V ones are double the length as these have to reach between our Danline Snow sweeper trailers which are towed by tractors and are a pain in the ass to manouvre to get them close to one another.

VWP also sell them in RED.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought you might be interested <_< I finally finished installing the quick realese jump leads.

Installed next to the rear door with a seperate shut of switch

jumpleads4.jpg

4.5 m reach, maybe a bit too long but never mind ;)

jumpleads2.jpg

I also used a handle on the plug to make life easier

jumpleads1.jpg

The jumpleads can also be put back together and used on another vehicle

jumpleads3.jpg

It ended up costing about £70 :o but hay ho, thats Land Rovers :lol: