Engine running probs

I have had a symptom of under hard acceleration the TD5 seems to rev up, but with no power coming in at first. If you ease off and then gently feed the power in it's fine. It actually feels like the clutch is slipping, but I think it may be a sticky wastegate.

I've had a first attempt at cleaning the wastegate linkage, but it hasn't cured it. Maybe it just needs a more thorough clean, which I plan to do. But before that I thought I'd take it for a short test drive and record the live fuelling data to see if I could see anything wrong like a MAP sensor reading that was wrong.

So, I did the test drive and just before the 2 min mark it did the same again under acceleration. Looking at the live readings though, I can't see anything wrong, but to be honest I don't know fully what I am looking at ;) ;) ;)

So can anyone who does, have a look please and see if there is anything glaringly obvious. Thanks Steve..

post-18-1235987407_thumb.jpg

Since nobody else seems keen to help, I just had another look at your chart. Looking at revs and speed in the two columns to the right of the time column, I see you changed down a gear at sample 67? Further down, between samples 74 and 89, the revs seem to increase disproportionally to the speed. It looks to me like the clutch is slipping, would that seem to make sense? Anyone else care to comment?

Further thinking: Assuming no gear changes, in sample 70 you are getting 1 mph per 61 RPM and in sample 76 you are getting 1 mph per 80.25 RPM, at sample 88 you get back to 1mph to every 61RPM - looking at column T1v (throttle pot value), as you come off the throttle. I suggest that between samples 74 and 88 the clutch was not fully engaged. Excel could probably make a pretty graph showing RPM/MPH which should be a straight line in any given gear, if it curves then the clutch is slipping.

Who said electronics were a bad thing? Anyone with a Tdi want a remote diagnosis? :P

Chris

Good analysis Chris.....

Now you point it out, it does look like variation....

Can you get the revving to happen in all gears Steve or is it just lower gears ?

If only in lower gears it would support Chris' argument because the relative torque is higher etc.

Neil

sounds an awful lot like clutch slip to me - why have you ruled that out steve?

Is your TD5 remapped in anyway?

Mark

Didn't rule it out, just thought that as it happens intermittently and the fact that it's been doing it since about December and hasn't got any worse that it probably wasn't this. What made me think about the turbo was that you'd get same kind of symptoms, revs go up but lack of power delivery.

Yes it is remapped. Can't be a fueling issue though as it happens at different points in rev range.

So I need to look at clutch. Should I look at adjusting pedal first?

Cheers

Steve

Snip

Who said electronics were a bad thing? Anyone with a Tdi want a remote diagnosis? :P

Chris

Chris Driving home from Bampton after a winch challenge the 90 wouldn't climb any hill in anything but 2nd gear

anything more than light throttle application would see a huge increase in revs but no increase in speed

there was an associated stink of burning asbestos

please could you remote diagnose my problem please

sorry only limited diagnostics on the trusty TDi :)

post-5-1236114322_thumb.jpg

Sliping clutch smells sickly sweet, not unlike your afteshave, Steve :)

Intermittent could be due to temperature/mud loading/road surface demand.

Les.

No smells either from Defender or me Les ;), does it cold and warm and hot, on road, off road, mostly on full throttle, but sometime on part.

DMF? was on mine anyway

great, IIRC they are cheap too :rolleyes:

Steve,

How about towing the 110 for a short while and see if you can get the clutch to slip? I know it's a bit extreme, but could identify if the clutch is borderline or help you to focus in on the engine....

Neil