Lockers

stuck

Hi all,

Can't find it now but I've read a post on this forum that states that lockers are not much use in mud and only get you more stuck.

Can anybody confirm or refute this?

Surely lockers will be better assuming you dont drive with the silly pedal welded to the floor? :banned:

Thanks,

Mick.

Mick

Generally they'll get you further

now this could mean clearing a section/climbing a hill

but on the other hand this to could mean being buried o the top of the doors then being stuck or reliant on winches

In my experience the rear I use lots the front far less as steering is compromised with it in.

In all honesty I'd say rear and use it for a while

BUT fitting a Front one gives you a 4 pin diff into the bargain

so you kill two birds with one stone.

If you have the ££ then both is an investment as long as you budget for some stronger shafts/cv's

or you'll bust them next being the weak link.

Latley people have been selling L/R axle for bigger gear a bargain may be out there just waiting :)

In all honesty I'd say rear and use it for a while

BUT fitting a Front one gives you a 4 pin diff into the bargain

so you kill two birds with one stone.

If you have the ££ then both is an investment as long as you budget for some stronger shafts/cv's

or you'll bust them next being the weak link.

Latley people have been selling L/R axle for bigger gear a bargain may be out there just waiting :)

Sorry Tony but you've lost me there :blush:

£ isn't an issue but I haven't got a clue what you mean by "4 pin diff", I know having two lockers will give me true 4 wheel drive though :unsure:

Currently looking for 24 spline axles so I can give Mr Ashcroft even more money :blink:

I think that post was made a bit tongue in cheek!! :lol:

It is undoubted that lockers are a huge help. However, as with most things in life, used unwisely they can get you into trouble - a truck with no lockers may loose traction and decide to reverse out. Matey with lockers may get a few car lengths further, but as Tony says end up in a world of pain or clear the section........ it is all down to the drivers ability to drive and read the terrain. (That or send the biatch in first!!)

As for front and rear - I agree with Tony - unless you spend a huge amount of cash on your front axle, you will be too scared to use a fornt locker so I would fit one in the rear and be amazed by the improvement in traction it gives you. When you have saved up again and/or got more "hardcore" in your off roading then consider a front locker.

It is undoubted that lockers are a huge help. However, as with most things in life, used unwisely they can get you into trouble - a truck with no lockers may loose traction and decide to reverse out. Matey with lockers may get a few car lengths further, but as Tony says end up in a world of pain or clear the section........ it is all down to the drivers ability to drive and read the terrain. (That or send the biatch in first!!)

As for front and rear - I agree with Tony - unless you spend a huge amount of cash on your front axle, you will be too scared to use a fornt locker so I would fit one in the rear and be amazed by the improvement in traction it gives you. When you have saved up again and/or got more "hardcore" in your off roading then consider a front locker.

Thanks very much Bish.

Currently looking for 24 spline axles so I can give Mr Ashcroft even more money :blink:

Fit 24 spline ARBs and you can use your existing axles if you're using Ashcroft kit with them.

Not much point in buying 24 spline axles if you're going to bin most of the expensive bits.

Fit 24 spline ARBs and you can use your existing axles if you're using Ashcroft kit with them.

Not much point in buying 24 spline axles if you're going to bin most of the expensive bits.

I had wondered about that so thanks for the info, didn't realise I could fit 24 spline shafts in a standard axle case.

Mick

Standard L/R diff(except gen factory V8 rear) are 2 pin holding the sun gears

An ARB for instance is 4 pin(there is a cross shaft holding the sun gears in place)

this is fundamentally stronger.

Like Charles eluded to if you leave the shafts/CV's as standard you'll not use the full potential of the Locker

Once all parts are together then you will have the confidence in the axles to survive.

I bust CV's prior to Ashcroft ones being fitted relatively easy.

Once the New CV's were married to my Maxi Drive shafts then I can drive as hard as I want to with the confidence not to be dismantling the front axle 5mins later.

I hope that ramble makes it a little clearer.

PS My post was not tongue in Cheek BTW :)

just think quicker than I type.(both slow )

In a similar vein.

When I started off roading I bought the best road legal mud tyres at the time SATs. However I noticed lots of Forestry Land Rovers with the front tyres on backwards and was confused. The reasoning was that SATs on the right way round on all wheels would get you so far into the muck that you had no chance of getting out. If the front tyres were the wrong way round then you would not get so far forward but you could get out in reverse and try another route.

Marc.

If you are using a (front) winch anyway I find that the front diff as a locker is far more helpful than a rear.

The reason for this is that having the front axle locked whilst winching ensures that both wheels turn/climb over obstacles rather than one wheel acting like a bulldozer whilst the other spins.

If I have a locker problem whilst during a competition I always try and get the front working again in preference to the rear.

Of course front axle components need to be toughened if you have a remotely unsumpathetic right foot/driving style.

I ran std 10spline rear shafts with 35" simex for 3 years before upgrading to something tougher.

Hi all,

Can't find it now but I've read a post on this forum that states that lockers are not much use in mud and only get you more stuck.

Can anybody confirm or refute this?

Surely lockers will be better assuming you dont drive with the silly pedal welded to the floor? :banned:

Thanks,

Mick.

If money isnt a problem dump the LR axles or entire car & build something that wont break if you look at it :rolleyes:

If money isnt a problem dump the LR axles or entire car & build something that wont break if you look at it :rolleyes:

They do seem quite popular though, Land Rovers that is. Is it just us here in UK or do they use them abroad.

In the Howling Wolf yesterday they were definately the most common vehicle.

^^^ This.

By the time you've spent all that cash you could just as well bolt some axles on that already have lockers and aren't made of cheese. TLC seems the best value these days.

I do agree with the original sentiment though, like anything that helps you get further it can either get you further through or just further stuck :lol: ultimately though all wheels driven gives more traction than two or three wheels driven.

They do seem quite popular though, Land Rovers that is. Is it just us here in UK or do they use them abroad.

It's a UK thing, they're quite rare outside the UK - have a scout round YouTube for foreign 4x4 events and play spot the Landy.

Slightly O/T but at the Howling Wolf yesterday I felt a bit left out, I was one of a minority that had only one motor on my 8274 top housing. Twin motors have certainly caught on.

Doubt if I will get mine before xmas :( .

Forget lockers get 4 wheel steer

Slightly O/T but at the Howling Wolf yesterday I felt a bit left out, I was one of a minority that had only one motor on my 8274 top housing. Twin motors have certainly caught on.

Doubt if I will get mine before xmas :( .

Forget lockers get 4 wheel steer

Awdc Howlin wolf yestrday.....The axles on both the 1st & 2nd overal cars where not l/rover! :unsure::P