OT new car advice needed

Ben Jordan

Hello all,

Im looking for a rapid car that i can enjoy and take out for a good thrash, but it has got to be a large estate to carry two large dogs in cages as part of my job. the limit would be £9,000-10,000 but the cheaper the better. i was thinking about a Subaru legacy turbo not sure on the different specs or a vauxhall omega V6. has anybody else got some ideas?

Hello all,

Im looking for a rapid car that i can enjoy and take out for a good thrash, but it has got to be a large estate to carry two large dogs in cages as part of my job. the limit would be £9,000-10,000 but the cheaper the better. i was thinking about a Subaru legacy turbo not sure on the different specs or a vauxhall omega V6. has anybody else got some ideas?

Audi A6

I've got a 98 Omega Elite Estate as a daily driver, albeit a 2.5TD. I paid less than 2K for mine, but its got all the miles on it, but looks great.

Great car, huge inside, all the toys, handles great, rwd - none of this fwd nonsense.

There is a very helpful Yahoo Group as a parellel to LR4x4.

That kind of budget you'd get quite a new Omega - they aren't expensive, yet are 95% of the equivalent BMW 5-series IMHO.

I love big estate cars - I just cannot see the point of saloons

Subaru Legacy

Audi A6

BMW 525iX

Omega

I test drove an Auto twin turbo Legacy GTB estate a while ago. Auto + twin turbo was a pretty wierd combination, nothing, nothing, nothing - 90mph !!

Ben,

consider that Diesel has no spark plugs ?

Nige :lol:

:lol: This is what is going to replace it (i think). Im really keen on the Omega. As they are fairly reliable, Got a local dealer for parts, Lots of car for the money, Very large estate, rear wheel drive, Im assuming the V6 would be cheaper than a Dieseasle. If i can get a half good one for 2-2.5k that would be great.

Montego Diesel Estate is a big car. Not too sure about it being rapid though (me being a law-abiding citizen an-all :P ). A couple down the road from me are selling theirs. I've serviced and maintained it for the last few years and it's never let them down. Doing the clutch on these vehicles is an absolute swine though. Most parts are relatively cheap and not beyond the capabilities of a reasonable DIY Mechanic.

Les. :)

Montego Diesel Estate is a big car. Not too sure about it being rapid though (me being a law-abiding citizen an-all :P ). A couple down the road from me are selling theirs. I've serviced and maintained it for the last few years and it's never let them down. Doing the clutch on these vehicles is an absolute swine though. Most parts are relatively cheap and not beyond the capabilities of a reasonable DIY Mechanic.

Les. :)

Sorry Les, I want to get a car that at least i can think i will enjoy :lol: and i don't want anything else from the Rover/Austin group.

this should be in you budget.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-T5-ESTATE_...1QQcmdZViewItem

and here's an other:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-VOLVO-850-T5-SE...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd buy it but I have one already, albeit in red. :(

(Quite hard to find with manual box.)

The second one is a saloon which is no good.

Are they front wheel drive? How do they last? as i know Omega's go to 200,000 with just servicing from work. Is yours a saloon or estate?

The second one is a saloon which is no good.

Are they front wheel drive? How do they last? as i know Omega's go to 200,000 with just servicing from work. Is yours a saloon or estate?

saloon; didn't spot that; my bad :(

T'was volvo's first fwd car. Body work and other stuff seems to seems to go on forever; the only thing I have seen that kills them is the engine; although I don't take that great deal of interest, 150 K+ miles is common.

Great if you go down to B&Q and buy big stuff or take rubbish to the tip, not so good at parking in tight spots even though the turning circle seem to be about 1/2 that of a series.

• 3 weeks later...

That could be good though I can't recall if they came in estate form though. Bit more bhp (200 I guess) than the st24/ghiaX (170ish) with fancy seats/mock kevlar bits on the interior. Don't think they were on my car list but I liked the GhiaX.

No question,,,, Volvo 850 T5 estate,, if looked after 250k, and 20 years !! 225 bhp, and room for rover in the back, !!! and tow the offroad toy behind !! i can find you one for £2.5 k

forget the Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily's) dagenham dustbins !!!

That could be good though I can't recall if they came in estate form though.

Yep they did. On paper it seems like a nice fast estate. Just been reading that none of them have covered more than 150k without a new engine :(

Looks like Omega is still the Favourite and possibly Volvo. What’s the cost of spares like with Volvo?

What’s the cost of spares like with Volvo?

Use to be twice the price of anything else, but nowadays, have to be in line with the other makes,,,

For example ,,,

Today, had to order a caliper bracket for a Ford Ka,, 75 quid, !! having a laugh !! Volvo 40 odd Genuine

The caliper was over £130 Ford, the Volvo £ 110. and twice the size !!!