Surely this is illegal?

gruntus

I'm not sure if it is illegal, given that you are able to get new plates for Series motors. But having said that, up to a certain year they can be presented at the MOT without the VIN as long as the chassis has a number on it...

It's not illegal, it's perfectly legal to replace a chassis plate like-with-like. Using a new chassis plate to create a ringer is illegal.

It's very common in classic car restoring to replace the VIN plate with new - it's only the same as replacing the number plates! In fact I've seen concours entrants marked down for grotty old VIN plates. Imagine an imaculately restored Series I or II, the engine bay completely as-new only let down by a faded, corroded, barely legible VIN plate - nasty.

I'm not sure if it is illegal, given that you are able to get new plates for Series motors. But having said that, up to a certain year they can be presented at the MOT without the VIN as long as the chassis has a number on it...

I've always had to provide both on my 1957 motor and prewar motors.....

Ok I best lighten up then :D

I used to know a few unsavoury characters in the eighties and their business was buying accident damaged cars from auction stealing an identical spec motor, swapping over the necassary details then selling on.

My cynical mind jumped straight to the conclusion that the above would make life easier for anyone dodgy!

Like I said I have been saved by HPi three times in the past so I am naturally suspicious of this sort of thing :rolleyes: .

G :)

I've always had to provide both on my 1957 motor and prewar motors.....

So you have had to provide the VIN plate for said motors, even if the chassis number was located elsewhere (e.g. on the chassis itself)?

At the local Council Depot, a VIN plate was not required for the MOT of my Series permitting that the chassis number was clearly marked elsewhere (e.g. where it is supposed to be).

I've just had a look for the MOT manual online, but it doesn't appear to be available online. What I have found is this, see the section towards the bottom of the page about VIN plates.

Edited by Rich_P

Ok I best lighten up then :D

I used to know a few unsavoury characters in the eighties and their business was buying accident damaged cars from auction stealing an identical spec motor, swapping over the necassary details then selling on.

My cynical mind jumped straight to the conclusion that the above would make life easier for anyone dodgy!

Like I said I have been saved by HPi three times in the past so I am naturally suspicious of this sort of thing :rolleyes: .

G :)

if you are from the Dunfermline area i would guess to naming a few of those characters,

As already stated it perfectly legit.

But a word of warning about that particular seller.

What actually arrives in the post is a piece of plain aluminium with a printed sticker of the plate printing. With the slot for the stamping badly cut out with a stanley knife. :angry:

How ever there are other more generic plates (Designed for kit car/ car builder folk) that are correctly made on the bay, which are also cheaper.

:D