Chevy V8 diesel

Turbocharger

Life has presented the opportunity for a Very Stupid Plan. What gearboxes can bolt up behind the Chevy 6.5 V8 for a RWD application?

just about anything from GM, but i would go with a TH350 th400, cheap and an handle massive power....drag racers use them

Life has presented the opportunity for a Very Stupid Plan. What gearboxes can bolt up behind the Chevy 6.5 V8 for a RWD application?

sort of in same situation, just aquiered a 6.5 gm diesel for nothing, been reading up on pirate on what the yanks are using, 4L80's seem popular,was advised at these for a ls7 application and a modded one is (apparently) good to 900 bhp

Carl.

As already suggested anything chevy, I had a th350 behind mine it did OK but was happier with a manual NV4500 I also gained about 25% more mpg. It depends on whether you want auto or man and what you are using it for. Th400 would be OK, a 4L80e would be better but needs the standalone computer which are expensive. I would think all the stout 4 speed manuals would fit but getting hold of one might be harder and flywheel/clutch would be rarer too. Good luck. BTW is it Turboed? and whats it for?

Gaza

Thanks guys. I've got an engineless Caterham and a 6.5 turbodiesel sat in a field - they didn't form part of the same plan originally but it seems a bit of a shame not to, just because nobody else has yet... Of course, it sits on the 'to do' list behind my own LR, buying a house, keeping SWMBO happy...

Guest noggy

hahaha yeah thats the place i ment, i always stare in there on the way past, id love to go and have a poke about!

sorry for the off topic :P

do you really think a 6.5 diesel v8 would fit in on the chassis of a caterham?

some serious strengthing would be needed!

Thanks guys. I've got an engineless Caterham and a 6.5 turbodiesel sat in a field - they didn't form part of the same plan originally but it seems a bit of a shame not to, just because nobody else has yet... Of course, it sits on the 'to do' list behind my own LR, buying a house, keeping SWMBO happy...

You are quite mad!!!! :lol:

Now THAT sounds interesting.

Give us a shout if you need/want a spare pair of hands mate.

Have some tools and a willingness to help out (or point and laugh)

do you own that field coming out the bottom of wirksworth?? with all that random stuff in it?

My mother works in the school next to the field, if it's the one I'm thinking of! I used to have a good luck on my past when I worked in Middleton.

Guest noggy
My mother works in the school next to the field, if it's the one I'm thinking of! I used to have a good luck on my past when I worked in Middleton.

yes thats the place!

Thanks guys. I've got an engineless Caterham and a 6.5 turbodiesel sat in a field

No, no, no, no. It would be quicker with a shagged out 850 mini engine. All you will get is wheelspin, the torque will break traction at any speed in any gear. It won't go round corners either. Then the engine will go bang.

No, no, no, no. It would be quicker with a shagged out 850 mini engine. All you will get is wheelspin, the torque will break traction at any speed in any gear. It won't go round corners either. Then the engine will go bang.

And that's just the good points ;)

Have a look on the locostbuilders forum. Specifically look in the Luego section as a guy on there has built a Viento with a viper engine in it. A Viento is a lot wider which makes it alot easier but the principles will be the same.

It will likely lift one of the front wheels every time you rev it and twist the chassis. That aside a car like that isn't meant to have that much weight in the front so traction will be a bit tricky.

Good luck

Have a look on the locostbuilders forum. Specifically look in the Luego section as a guy on there has built a Viento with a viper engine in it. A Viento is a lot wider which makes it alot easier but the principles will be the same.

food for thought... Viper engine + landrover = interesting!!