Oil Oil Oil!

Hi all, as the title sugests i have oil weeping from around the base of my injectors. it's a 96 300tdi with 76.000 on. the side of the head and block was covered, so i applied some jizer and jet washed the engine. this cleaned it up nicely. went for a short drive and when i got back the oil was definatly coming from near the base of the injectors. just cant quite tell where from. has anyone had similar problems? and know how to fix it? thanks in advance. :blink:

could be diesel fuel, might be a leak from one of the injectors or their pipes.

only other place is the rocker cover seal may have a leak & the oil is tracking around/down the injector holes.

did wonder about it being diesel, read a few other posts on here about similar leaks. but i am almost 100% sure its oil, it is very black when rubbed between fingers.

externally checked the rocker cover seal and doesn't seem to be leaking above the injectors. any other possiblities?

i will check all of the above again though. Cheers

Whats the probability of the copper o-rings on the base of the injectors leaking? Usually only ever happens after an injector has been removed and put back in with the old copper ring

i did wondered whether it would be that. i personally have not removed the injectors whilst i have owned it, but it may have been done by someone else! if this was the case would it be oil leaking or diesel, i am sure its oil! cheers

Whats the probability of the copper o-rings on the base of the injectors leaking? Usually only ever happens after an injector has been removed and put back in with the old copper ring

If the injector is not sealing properly, it wouldn't leak oil;)

If the injector is not sealing properly, it wouldn't leak oil;)

But it would leak fuel - which (after passing up the side of the injector body) looks pretty mcuh like a normal oil leak - quite black and not at all like fresh, clean diesel.

Also, to answer an earlier question, if the copper washers are not in good condition, not seated or perhaps missing or double stacked, then yes - they will leak, but as you say this usually happens after they have been disturbed.

HTH

Rog

Hi all, as the title sugests i have oil weeping from around the base of my injectors. it's a 96 300tdi with 76.000 on. the side of the head and block was covered, so i applied some jizer and jet washed the engine. this cleaned it up nicely. went for a short drive and when i got back the oil was definatly coming from near the base of the injectors. just cant quite tell where from. has anyone had similar problems? and know how to fix it? thanks in advance. :blink:

Check the little pipes on the injectors. The leak back pipes do tend to work loose and tend to cause no other problem to the running of the engine other than it get wet. Dont break a fitting though or ya'll be in for some serious work to sort it out.

As for the injector leaking engine oil .... No not really. The injector goes through the head and into the top of the cylinder, so if it was oil in the cylinder then when you are running your engine, so much smoke would be pouring out of the exhaust that you would no longer be concerned about a wet engine. The only slight possibility .. and i do mean slight .. is that the head is cracked in such a way that oil is leaking onto the injector .. and the injector seal would need to be leaking to blow this oil about. Thats going a bit far though and i've never heard of any engine experiencing this, so i'd be checking for simple leaks first

As Jimy Neutron suggests, look at the spill pipes. I thought I had an oil leak until I checked under the bonnet. Noticed oily black stuff coming from the bottom of the front injector, but on further looking noticed it was actually diesel coming from the spill pipe which had come off a little. Putting it back helped, but then my wife said she could hear a high pitched whistle (I'm actually partly deaf) so I pulled the rubber pipe off and then pulled back the woven cover to discover it had perished in 3 or 4 places. The diesel soaks old dirt off and looks like oil , well diesel effectively is oil, drips down and looks like it's leaking from somewhere else. £2 for a new length of pipe from local dealer, cut to length, put on and voila clean engine!

As Jimy Neutron suggests, look at the spill pipes. I thought I had an oil leak until I checked under the bonnet. Noticed oily black stuff coming from the bottom of the front injector, but on further looking noticed it was actually diesel coming from the spill pipe which had come off a little. Putting it back helped, but then my wife said she could hear a high pitched whistle (I'm actually partly deaf) so I pulled the rubber pipe off and then pulled back the woven cover to discover it had perished in 3 or 4 places. The diesel soaks old dirt off and looks like oil , well diesel effectively is oil, drips down and looks like it's leaking from somewhere else. £2 for a new length of pipe from local dealer, cut to length, put on and voila clean engine!

hi,

I work in a engine remanufacturing factory, we use a aluminous di in our oil to check for leaks, if you are that worried as to if your leak is oil or diesel a small amount of di in you oil would show up any leaks, but if your oil is filthly it would soak up the di. I do not know how oil would appear from under your injectors it would appear to be diesel all the injectors we fir have a copper washer under them, so as someone said earlier on of them could be worn, and have you tried re-torque of the injectors.

Best Regards

Pete

thanks chaps, the more i have to go on the better. i can start with the easiest and cheapiest, and work my way to the hardest and most expensive :lol: i reckon it's something or nothing, but always good to put your mind at rest and know why! Cheers