GKN Versus Rocky Mountain Overdrive

but the same engine will still be turning at 3000rpm at 65/70 whereas with a OD inline it'll be doing 600 to 800rpm less therby saving more fuel.

Not if he fits a Disco/RR transfer box, which should set you back all of £50-£100 in good condition and has better parts availability than either flavour of OD.

Not if he fits a Disco/RR transfer box, which should set you back all of £50-£100 in good condition and has better parts availability than either flavour of OD.

Splitting hairs a little, but the OD raises gearing 28%, the disco box 15%, so the revs will still be lower in 5th (on a 1.4:1 TXB) + OD than in 5th on a diso transfer box. My mums TD5 disco could do with an extra gear in top for motorways, so i'd still opt for the OD on a defender WITH a well serviced engine. I can understand why parts might be a worry for the ODs though (devon 4x4 do seem to have a good stock of everything for the GKNs and can source all of the spares from the states apparently).

What about a Defender with both Disco 230Q gears and an OD?

probably be way over geared & virtually undriveable.

the 1.22 TB ratio gives a 15% change & the OD gives around 28% with both fitted your looking at a 42 to 45% change

I'm still pleased with my OD, I'm comitted anyway and it suits where and how I drive. When the OD played up I did wonder whether I'd done the right not fitting a Disco box and an ECU retune but not sure it would have worked well in my circumstances. There's merits in both (ecu may still happen though :D ).

Doing it now, I'd probably fit the RM one if they were easy to get! Used to that style of OD in a series I used to own and have a Rangie OD in the 101 which is interesting with cable operation (and withstands a lot of abuse)

Gaining MPG was never a good reason for an OD, more comfortable cruising (for driver and engine) is the main benefit.

I had a GKN OD fitted to my previous 110 (Td5) and it was fantastic with no problems in the 2 and a half years I had it fitted. Changing the oil in it though was a messy business! I heard that GKN no longer provide any support for them now, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

In my current 110 (also a Td5) I've gone for the Disco gears in the transfer box. These have vastly improved it's 'cruising' manners on M-ways and A-roads, etc. It's a little slower off the mark, but if you want to take part in 'traffic grand prix' you wouldn't buy a Defender would you. :lol:

Cheers.

I heard that GKN no longer provide any support for them now, though I'm not 100% sure on that

correct, all the spares/rights have been taken on by Devon4x4, V8 Freak had his GKN unit rebuilt by D4x4 & they did a super job.