suspension again

bow

as some of you know, I'm a Marshall for protrax events, over the last 6 months I've been changing my 90 for comps, i have most of the stuff i want to compete but i am still struggling on my suspension set up,

i need to keep my truck on a tight budget, after destroying an engine 2 months ago its getting tighter, I'm looking for a reasonable suspension set up, i can not afford old man emu.

at the moment i run a terafirma 2" lift, 2" lower turrets front, 3" rear droppers, axle mount relocation rear, scrap-iron front, the front of the truck sits an inch to low compared to the rear, i have a tubular winch bumper with a warn XD9000, safety devices full external cage.

what I'm looking for is a reasonable set up that will stand me in good stead for some time, i want to compete at local level to start, punch challenges are what i like, as much as i like to Marshall i want to have a go, so i figure the best place to get advice is ask those that know, who started in the same manner as me,

so your thoughts please, i do not have a large bank account to fund my hobby, but i can save for the right kit, I'm not a brand name snob, so standard or aftermarket, i just want a setup that works well, even second hand as long as its right.

thanks in advance,

BOW :rolleyes:

The best cheap springs are genuine Land Rover ones! Believe it or not, that is one part of the vehicle they got right!

Check out the tech archive for links to springs. Pay a visit to a weighbridge and weigh your axles, make an allowance for unsprung weight and then work out what spring will suit you.

I second the x springs, Ive got plus 2" shocks, and minus 2" mounts cranked arms and I can easily max out the shocks using my x springs.

The travel the x springs give you is amazing.

If you want pics just ask

i had 4 x-springs on my disco and they worked brilliantly! also had the silly long rough country damper, that combination with some severe axle twisters actually bent my trailing arms! (std lr units)

but if you want budget suspension get lr springs. i belive RRC "red and white stripe" springs are a good place to start as they will give you a bit of a lift and are squigy..... and probibly about £8 each. dislocation cones can be made easeley enough. and some of the rough country or procomp dampers.

i've done a bit of reserch, and used the search engine on here, so far what i've come up with is to stick with the rear springs i have, change the rear dampers for gwyn's +5 set up, not sure which dampers yet though, replace the front springs with red/white landy ones, and run some +2 dampers, allready have relocation cones, and cranked arms. i'l try this out and see how i get on, thanks all.

BOW..

what springs are you running on the front Dan, most of my kit is terafirma, but with standard length dampers, i like the kit i have but the front springs have sagged sitting an inch lower on the front, this is a right pain, i can let you know the no' tomorrow , was looking at the Tera rear dampers, i like the stronger damper rod, would stick with terafirma if i can sort this ride height problem, prob go for +5 rear, +2 front and keep my lower turrets, but its knowing what springs to use on the front, the ride is perfect, on and off road, just sits low on the front as i said.

any help would be appreciated

all the best

BOW..

P.S. TINKS tells me your truck looks good in the flesh,even when you rolled it......

what springs are you running on the front Dan, most of my kit is terafirma, but with standard length dampers, i like the kit i have but the front springs have sagged sitting an inch lower on the front, this is a right pain, i can let you know the no' tomorrow , was looking at the Tera rear dampers, i like the stronger damper rod, would stick with terafirma if i can sort this ride height problem, prob go for +5 rear, +2 front and keep my lower turrets, but its knowing what springs to use on the front, the ride is perfect, on and off road, just sits low on the front as i said.

any help would be appreciated

all the best

BOW..

P.S. TINKS tells me your truck looks good in the flesh,even when you rolled it......

I'm running tf023v on the front and the rear which are medium duty rear spring. I have fitted the driver side springs to the rear because the are slightly longer. How long have you had your springs for?

I run +5 shocks all round with a standard height turret on the front.

Dan

Yeah the truck is looking used now! It's been rolled again since tinks last saw it!

Not meaning to be contentious - but given that Terrafirma ripped off Gwyn, then if you can, I'd consider something else.

Draw back with this is that the only other shock with firm damping are the EMU ones, which are brilliant but more money.

after talking to various people I'm still none the wiser on what to run, i think I'm going to bin the 2" droppers and the -2" turrets and change all the dampers to +5's, use Gwyn lewis rear mounts, and change my front springs to red/whites, and see how i get on from there, just picked up a pair of QT rear arms to replace my cranked rears, look stronger, i cant find the ser' no' on my springs that I'm currently using , so that has not helped.

thanks guys, all the best,

BOW..

after talking to various people I'm still none the wiser on what to run, i think I'm going to bin the 2" droppers and the -2" turrets and change all the dampers to +5's, use Gwyn lewis rear mounts, and change my front springs to red/whites, and see how i get on from there, just picked up a pair of QT rear arms to replace my cranked rears, look stronger, i cant find the ser' no' on my springs that I'm currently using , so that has not helped.

thanks guys, all the best,

BOW..

Hi BOW,

Did you say you bought the springs if so give me a bell.

01235 832100 and I will have a look through the history and see what we can find out.

Dan

sorry to hijack, but what springs would be best for my disco? i heard rear springs on the front would give a better lift and what for the back? i dont want to go more than 2"

i was thinking about spring spacers, good idea or not? (doesent have to pass MOT or any road tests, just a field truck)

mikey

hi Dan, after scratting about under the truck and cleaning my springs several times i have some numbers, front springs areTF018, rears are TF023, these were bought when frogs first started selling them, so with all the info i have i know the front springs are well off the mark, not checked their free length as i could not be arsed to jack the truck up, but they have sagged over time. i know what i want to achieve, so i will check on some prices before i make my final choice, i do have a wish list, might give you a bell to discuss prices and stuff, hope to meet up with you at tixover, my local, thats why my truck was built up, recovery Marshall,

thanks all..

BOW..

hi Dan, after scratting about under the truck and cleaning my springs several times i have some numbers, front springs areTF018, rears are TF023, these were bought when frogs first started selling them, so with all the info i have i know the front springs are well off the mark, not checked their free length as i could not be arsed to jack the truck up, but they have sagged over time. i know what i want to achieve, so i will check on some prices before i make my final choice, i do have a wish list, might give you a bell to discuss prices and stuff, hope to meet up with you at tixover, my local, thats why my truck was built up, recovery Marshall,

thanks all..

BOW..

Tf018

tf023v

Is a medium duty set up. The springs are now coming from a new supplier to the earlier ones. I have had the proto-type ones fitted to my tow car for over a year and a half now and they are still going strong.

Yeah come see us at Tixover me and pig will be near the butty van :D

Dan

A word of caution on the red and whites up front, They were orriginally spec'ed for a V8 so your 200 may squish them a bit!!! I will have a rumage under the posoc and see if mine have any markings left.

Saw your truck with the cage today, looking good Bow

HI PHIL, its getting there mate, picking my 24 sline axles up tomorrow thank god, keep breaking the 10's, had a bit of a play last weekend and found it lacking in the articulation department, so suspension is on the cards, the front has sagged , and need more travel on the rear, hense this post, all good practice though, had a play on the rocks and got totaly twisted out, had loads of folks offer to help me by anchoring my winch rope, but used my waffles and hi-lift, wanted to get the practice, soon be ready for a challenge or 2, just need to find a winch man

hope all is well with your truck, i will get to see you in action one of these days.

all the best

BOW..