Line-X Bulkhead Coating

Paddy_SP

Well, I'm pleased to say that my trip to Line-X this morning went very well - they treated the new bulkhead for my 110 Defender to a thorough coating of their truck-bed liner (both inside and out). The reason I went to such trouble is that we don't have any decent galvanisers in this end of the country, and as I'm using a new galved chassis, I'm determined to do what I can to minimise corrosion elsewhere. I'm also hoping that the coating will help to reduce engine/road noise. The finish will not be to everyone's taste, being a cross between wrinkle finish and orange peel. I like it though, which is what matters! Here are some photos:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i207/Pad...lkheadFront.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i207/Pad...kheadFront2.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i207/Pad...ulkheadRear.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i207/Pad...lkheadRear2.jpg

I'm afraid I can't give any prices as this was done as part of some joint ballistic-protection development work I'm doing with the company. If you'd like to know more, Line-X have dealers all over the country! :)

That's a very good question, and one which I don't have an answer to yet. I had thought about getting the whole vehicle done with it, but while I like the idea, suspect that it might cost a tad too much... I think I'll probably try polishing the coating back on the visible areas - if that doesn't work, I'll see if I can find a filler that is chemically compatible. Watch this space! :)

Interesting - looks like the kinda stuff ive been after for coating the inside of the d-lander. What pre-prep is needed to use it?

Where are they based, mid devon is my part of the country...

Interesting - looks like the kinda stuff ive been after for coating the inside of the d-lander. What pre-prep is needed to use it?

Where are they based, mid devon is my part of the country...

As BigBlue said, they are based in Barnstaple, but there is a Line-X dealer in Cullompton too. If you'd like to come and see the finish, you'd be most welcome. I'm between Tiverton and South Molton. :)

I know someone who had a 130 Hi-Cap loadbed done by Line X Cost £700 IIRC. He paid extra to have it colour matched to the body. Damned expensive but no denying it looked a quality job.

FWIW. Lots of American owners coat their interiors with similar 'bedliner' products.

I like the finish, and TBH, the amount of bulkhead that actually ends up showing to the outside world.... I would leave it as it is.

These 'fenders are supposed to look rugged, right? :)

Looks fine but there are a few Galvanizers local to you/us

Exeter And Crediton.

I know people who work in the Crediton galvers, and as they're only just up the road from me, they'd have been ideally-placed for me. Sadly, having seen the standard of their galvanising, I wouldn't go near the place...:(

I did check out the Exeter establishment too - there was a reason why they couldn't do it, but I can't remember what it was. The tank was too small, or they'd stopped doing it or something. The nearest place that was any good was, from memory, some 150+ miles away in the Welsh borders.

I think it looks good, if you were worried about corrosion nows the ideal time to waxoyl it, if you stand it upside down and tape over the holes you can literally fill it up, and in this weather it should flow nicely without faffing about with thinners, when your done just turn it the right way up and let it drain for a couple of days...

Mike

I think it looks good, if you were worried about corrosion nows the ideal time to waxoyl it, if you stand it upside down and tape over the holes you can literally fill it up, and in this weather it should flow nicely without faffing about with thinners, when your done just turn it the right way up and let it drain for a couple of days...

Mike

Many thanks - that's an excellent plan! :)