No Go

I'm running a 200Tdi 110. It has about 142K miles on the clock. When i got it it accelerate well and you could feel the turbo coming in.

Now it just doesn't accelerate. I'm having to drop down a gear on hills and you don't feel the turbo come in. The overall power is not down it just lacks acceleration.

I've changed all the pipework, the fuel filter, the air filter and the intercooler is also clear. Anyone any ideas on what the problem could be? (is it the turbo?). The drop off in power coincided with fitting a raised aire intake but I don't think the two are connected.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Guy

Check that the boost sensing pipe from the turbo to the injector pump is connected at both ends and not chafed/kinked/squashed anywhere. If that is OK the next thing I would check is that the diaphragm in the pump is not either seized up, or has a hole in it. It is easier to do than to describe.... do you know what bit I am on about?

I had the same symptoms with my 200tdi 110 turned out to be a split intercooler hose. The bottom one which is a 90° bend had a split that could not be seen with the hose in position.

splithose.jpg

It's not that. That was first guess and several new Twisted Performance hoses later it was no better.

Guy

Check that the boost sensing pipe from the turbo to the injector pump is connected at both ends and not chafed/kinked/squashed anywhere. If that is OK the next thing I would check is that the diaphragm in the pump is not either seized up, or has a hole in it. It is easier to do than to describe.... do you know what bit I am on about?

I think so. The rubber bit underneath the metal cover held on by 4 screws on top of the pump that has the pipe running off it. If that's it I've checked it and it's fine. Will check the boost pipe tonight. Also had a suggestion to check the waste gate so will try that tonight as well.

Thanks for the help.

Guy

Are you getting any more smoke than normal?

What happens when you disconnect the filter pipe? does it come back to life?

Is there other noises happening instead...? A friends disco didn't pull very well until we found out that it was the manifold gasket was shot to pieces -- is it worth checking/swapping ?

Are you getting any more smoke than normal?

What happens when you disconnect the filter pipe? does it come back to life?

Is there other noises happening instead...? A friends disco didn't pull very well until we found out that it was the manifold gasket was shot to pieces -- is it worth checking/swapping ?

No other noises that I can hear. It started getting bad in July and has got worse as the months go by. There's no additional smoke and pulling the filter pipe off didn't seem to make much difference. I could see the turbo spinning though.

Guy

A faulty lift pump can give similar symptoms too. The injector pump can draw enough fuel to run the engine, but when more fuel is required for boost, it can't keep up if the lift pump is knackered.

Regards,

Diff

Hmm, had the boost pipe pop out of the cr*p jubilee clip LR fit on the M3 the other day. Funny sound from turbo (300Tdi) :blink: and no oomph. Mines got a boost gauge fitted and I saw it drop to zero, so guessed it was a hose off. Just replaced the hose in the pics a few months back as well, was expecting the top intercooler one to have split. Took a few minutes in the twilight when i got home to find the small bore pipe was off, not helped by the fact its under the other hose and the turbo housing. :(

A faulty lift pump can give similar symptoms too. The injector pump can draw enough fuel to run the engine, but when more fuel is required for boost, it can't keep up if the lift pump is knackered.

Regards,

Diff

Funny you should say that. I was hand priming the system the other day having changed the fuel filter and it didn't seem to be working that well.

Another thing to check!!!!

Guy

Funny you should say that. I was hand priming the system the other day having changed the fuel filter and it didn't seem to be working that well.

It could just be that the pump cam was at the top of its lift, meaning that all you were doing was taking up the play in the system. Try turnong the engine over a bit, and then re-trying.

If you take the turbo inlet hose off (just a jubilee clip), you can rotate the turbine shaft by hand. See how free it is (should be very), and whether there is any movement in the shaft. In+out movement is pretty normal - maybe up to 1/2mm total. There should be absolutely no up/down (headache) movement on the shaft. If there is, time for a turbo swap...

If you take the turbo inlet hose off, you can rotate the turbine shaft by hand. See how free it is (should be very), and whether there is any movement in the shaft. In+out movement is pretty normal - maybe up to 1/2mm total. There should be absolutely no up/down (headache) movement on the shaft. If there is, time for a turbo swap...

Cheers for that. I'll check. I know it's spinning freely but didn't check for up/down movement.

Guy

Further investigation tonight reveals;

the lift pump is clearly on the way out.

the turbo does have up/down play of about 2mm each way.

the waste gate appears to opening and shuting correctly.

Isn't nice that it's always the most expensive fault!!!!

Guy

Further investigation tonight reveals;

the lift pump is clearly on the way out.

the turbo does have up/down play of about 2mm each way.

the waste gate appears to opening and shuting correctly.

Isn't nice that it's always the most expensive fault!!!!

Guy

Guy.

advise would be to leave the turbo alone if the lift pump may be suspect do that first - just for ruling out purposes (and cost ofcourse).

My understanding of turbines is they actually 'float' on the oil rather than run on bearings so a degree of play should be expected.

Guy.

advise would be to leave the turbo alone if the lift pump may be suspect do that first - just for ruling out purposes (and cost ofcourse).

My understanding of turbines is they actually 'float' on the oil rather than run on bearings so a degree of play should be expected.

Going to try the lift pump first. Looks like it's been there a few years. It seems that some play is acceptable because they 'float'.

Guy