Any old Vapour Builders out there?

gruntus

Hello Chaps,

I remember we had a vapour build thread about a year/18 months ago which I think was removed due to lack of updates! :D

So I just thought I would give you an update on my 90 build and wanted to see how everyone else is doing.

My Update

Axles, trailing arms, A frame : Completely stripped, shot blasted, painted and rebuilt.

Engine: 200TDI defender engine completely stripped and rebuilt (not in the chassis yet but sitting under an old pair of curtains ready to go! :D )

Gearbox: Just a jetwash and clean.

Chassis: Brand new from Richards

Bulkhead: New TD5 trimmed and dressed to suit old 90 bulkhead (I have a fairly detailed thread somewhere with pictures for anyone interested) , shotblasted and galvanised then painted.

So far I have assembled most of the above and waiting for an I beam in my garage to get the gearbox and engine into place.

So, let me know how you are all getting on!!

All the best

G :)

post-1366-1244546533_thumb.jpg

Old

Watch it, sonny :rtfm:

Front axle is finally done, after a major cock-up on my part :) I got supplied every single differential sun gear set on the entire planet by mistake, wrong driveshaft bearings, wrong pinion spacer tube, wrong swivel housings, was over-charged £155, supplied parts I never even ordered.

I managed to get a Rangy rear axle from Hornchurch for the princeley sum of £25 (thanks Neil :) ).

I needed to 'move' the front crossmember forwards 5-inches tp allow for PAS fitment. I was going to use 5-inch box section to do this, but the chassis narrows at that point and it would have looked ugly, so I made my own crossmember out of 4mm plate.

Boring pictures -

gallery_2_808_39783.jpg

gallery_2_808_23221.jpg

gallery_2_808_30295.jpg

gallery_2_808_48455.jpg

gallery_2_808_12241.jpg

gallery_2_808_9999.jpg

Rangy axle is now nice and clean and waiting for me to chop it about. Working all day on other peoples motors kinda puts me off working on mine when I get home :(

Les.

Well, mine really started again in March.

Engine - big

Gearbox - expensive

Axles - bling B)

Suspension - flexy

Chassis - tubey

Winches - yes, 3 of them.

Tyres - small ;)

Price - on application

Finish date - as soon as possible

Land Rover content - can be counted on one hand.

Update with pictures to follow in the run up to Billing. Sadly the vehicle won't be there but I did say I'd do photos just before the weekend itself.

At 59 some may consider me oldish. I've got a brand new all singing all dancing, high tech, totally unstoppable 6x6, what the hell make that 8x8 project that I'll probably never finish. In fact there is a 0.00001% chance that it will ever get started. Does that qualify it as a vapor build?

Bill.

At 59 some may consider me oldish. I've got a brand new all singing all dancing, high tech, totally unstoppable 6x6, what the hell make that 8x8 project that I'll probably never finish. In fact there is a 0.00001% chance that it will ever get started. Does that qualify it as a vapor build?

Bill.

Bill, I think you just qualified in first place oh Vapour King!!

There are too many rumours that Will has actually joined two bits of metal cardboard :lol::P together thus eliminating him from the title race. You may have some stiff competition from Astro Al but you should see him off! :D

Well, I guess I should probably post something. My vapour is hard to define.

Life has changed direction in the last year or so in lots of ways. I'm no longer interested in building an offroader. My vapour project has become simply rebuilding my Unimog for my business to use (sometimes) - which will use up most of the parts I ever had anyway.

So thats it. In fact, once I sell my freelander I'll be rover-free for the first time pretty much since I learned to drive. Series 2A, Series 3, Defender, Range Rover, Freelander. Now its just a sensible van and a Mog to make me smile / carry big stuff!

So, all my vapour has drifted away... Now I have the facilities / skilz / time, I no longer have the inclination! Typical.

Cheers, Al.

:)

If and when my 110s 200TDi finally dies, and its showing absolutely no signs of it yet, I want to put the ole bus up on a set of portals with big LPG'd V8 power and a manual box all nailed to a new galv chassis and rolling on silly big tyres.

What'll that lots cost £10k with some luck?

But until the 200TDi dies I have no incentive to try and scrape together the wherewithall to do it so it will remain as vapour for the foreseeable future.

Vapours good, it see's you through dull afternoons...

Will :(

Well, I guess I should probably post something. My vapour is hard to define.

Life has changed direction in the last year or so in lots of ways. I'm no longer interested in building an offroader. My vapour project has become simply rebuilding my Unimog for my business to use (sometimes) - which will use up most of the parts I ever had anyway.

So thats it. In fact, once I sell my freelander I'll be rover-free for the first time pretty much since I learned to drive. Series 2A, Series 3, Defender, Range Rover, Freelander. Now its just a sensible van and a Mog to make me smile / carry big stuff!

So, all my vapour has drifted away... Now I have the facilities / skilz / time, I no longer have the inclination! Typical.

Cheers, Al.

Steady on old fella, I have no Rover at the moment and felt like a fraud last year coming onto this forum with nothing more that a pair of axles.

Wipe that melancholy tear from your eye, its in your blood, you know it and you will be back!!

Im sure you could find a sneaky/cheap little series III to tinker with! :D

Steady on old fella...

Wipe that melancholy tear from your eye, its in your blood, you know it and you will be back!!

Im sure you could find a sneaky/cheap little series III to tinker with! :D

Ha. Don't tempt me. I have a vape-off entry idea about once every 24 hours. But I've just got too much going on to even consider another project. Nowadays I'm generally making tools rather than vapour.

Never say never, but... probably never. ;)

Besides, I feel I'd be letting myself down if one of these vapour-ideas actually materialsed! I have a reputation to consider!

Al