waxoyl

ally

Hi Guys

got my wobble fixed it was the balancing, after all that checking and re checking of the steering components.

when ive been under the disco ive noticed alot of surface rust . i will be keeping the car for a while and was wondering if anyone had been using waxoyl and how effective it was, i know that there are companys that offer the full service but that costs a fortune

regards Ally

I've done mine with Dinitrol spray cans.

Did not have the budget to have it done by a professional.

I found Dinitrol better than waxoil; not as oily, dried quicker, good coverage, and good choice of products in the dinitrol range

I've done mine with Dinitrol spray cans.

Did not have the budget to have it done by a professional.

I found Dinitrol better than waxoil; not as oily, dried quicker, good coverage, and good choice of products in the dinitrol range

Which one did you use? I see on their website they do different types.

How many can did it take roughly?

How did you prep the chassis before? A good jet wash then let it dry?

Ta

Rob

I always use waxoyl on my vehicles and trailers that get lft ot all the time - I swear by it for halting rust in its track. ;)

It takes a full 5 litre can to do the job properly on each truck.

Just jet wash clean off everything on a sunny day, warm the can in the sun too to make the Waxoyl run better and use a sprayer. I dilute with white spirit to thin it a bit for easier coating and spraying. You seem to waste less by blockages in the sprayer.

Keep an old brush handy with some Waxoyl in a bowl on the workbench and then it's always to hand when you need to protect something that you just uncovered whilst on a job.

The nice thing about Waxoyl is that it migrates, as it gets warm, to all the nooks and crannies you can't really get to but that you still want to protect.

The worst thing is that everything you own gets covered in the stuff so cover yourself and the drive! :o

i use waxoyl, love the stuff, just jet wash it first, let it dry ( waxoyl will NEVER stick to a wet chassis, believe me i've tried!) i used a brush but may try some sort of spray technique, i know you can buy "Person Resembling a Pink Starfish" can variants but its far pricier. and i suggest recoating it once a year, before the winter as not all of it will stay on, espescially if your taking the beast off road. Wear overalls or carp clothes as it STICKS! and you'll need hot water and fairy liquid and a good good scrub to get it off your skin! Messy stuff but its definately worth it. Should take around 2 hours to do with a brush. I tend to focus on the complete chassis frame, the sills and brake lines, seatbelt mounts, whats accessible of the rear boot floor, and inner wheel arches. Also what would be good is to get a spray type wax with a straw attachment and spray it in every possible hole on the chassis. Get as much as you can inside the chassis boxes and that should keep the rust away for many years. Get a good amount behind the rubbery like wheelarch liners inside the front wheelarches as well as they hold mud and dirt really well. And if you really fancy lift up the carpets and get some sort of spray antirust paint to coat the floorpan, paying particular attention to rear boot floor and seat belt mounts. have fun scrubbing!

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a few vehicles with Waxoyl. It comes in two varieties, clear and black, the black version is coloured with a small amount of bitumen. I've also mixed it with underseal, which gave a nice finish on such areas as the bottom of the tub, where I wasn't really treating rust, just wanted it to look nice for a motor I was selling. My method, and there are others, is to apply it using an underseal gun, available from such places as Machine Mart. It does need a compressor, however. It looks like a spray gun but without a body, and has a long tubular outlet and quite a big diameter nozzle. It screws on the top of one litre cans of Waxoyl or Dinitrol or underseal. I did a 7½ ton lorry once and it squirted warm Waxoyl about 4 metres! I don't add extra white spirit like some do (Waxoyl is based on it..) but warm the 5 litre can (with cap removed!) in a galvanised bucket full of water over a gas ring - an outdoors one which sits on the ground, not the kitchen stove.. I then decant the warm Waxoyl into the litre can and start spraying. I like to remove big lumps of muck first, especially in the various mud traps under my 90. One should be aware of the safety issues, having a naked flame underneath a white spirit based liquid may not ba good idea, but I've never had a problem and I only heat it until it's liquid enough to spray. In the middle of the summer, it may not be necessary to heat it at all.. There are plenty of threads on where to spray, but up the channel behind the front door hinges of the bulkhead is a favourite, and inside the chassis, but I can never be sure that's worthwhile as one can't see the coverage one is getting. One old trick was to block all the holes up in the chassis and pour a lot of old oil into each leg, which stayed there and sloshed around for the rest of the vehicles life.., or until a plug gave way... It's definitely a summer job, when the underneath is dry.. Waxoyl is not a permanent treatment, it does wash off and exposed areas may need treating every year. I once did the roof of an outbuilding covered in rusty wiggly tin. It lasted about 4 years.

One old trick was to block all the holes up in the chassis and pour a lot of old oil into each leg, which stayed there and sloshed around for the rest of the vehicles life.., or until a plug gave way...

i've got visions of sliding under the truck to do some work, and one of the plugs letting go.......

• 2 weeks later...

The recent hot weather will have depleted the Waxoyl stocks no end.

I was doing around my front wing on Sunday - sorted the rust patches, welded in new plates, primed them, body schutz over the lot and then a thorough spray with Waxoyl in a body schutz can attached to a spatter gun (also has a tube and spray fitting - from Machine Mart)

Brilliant stuff!

I reckon the stuff is brilliant too.

Done both the Def and the Disco but....

Has anyone noticed that the fomulation change? :o

It certainly has changed colour - more reddy orange than creamy yellow and we noticed, when we did my mates car by brush (in the garage cos it were raining!) that it thins down quicker when using white spirit!