best battery for 300tdi disco?

Robot_Roo

spose it depends how much money you want to put into it but i would also be interested to know this

go for the biggest that will fit in there with the highest cca you can get ive got an 086 in mine it was 50 quid trade so prob about 75/80 quid retail chris.

Ive had my Disco for 5 yrs now a great runner ,but a bugger to start ,only a couple of months into ownership i put on a new battery and ok for a while ,then the cold weather came and bosh carp startin' again, so i bought another and kept them both charged up, but once again they started to fail, so with that i cleaned all the charging circuit, had off all the earth straps, and checked the alternator, that was fine. put in new heater plugs and the effect was the same ,carp startin'

So i lashed out and bought a Optima Red Top starter battery ,and since then not a problem , it will start without the heater plugs ' if i had done this earlier i could have saved myself the cost of two batteries and my time..

got one of these in mine picked it a couple on ebay dry charged and just had to source acid/electrolite and a over night charge and seems fine longest it been left unstarted was 10days and kicked over first time

DSCF7851.jpg

had to cross the leads and hold in with a small ratchet strap

I have had a yellow top optima battery in my disco for a year now, i know its not optimal for starting but i've left it for a full weekend with the interior light on and its still started my 300tdi without the slightest struggle. Its the same power rating as the standard battery but slightly smaller dimensions, optimas come with an additional baseplate if the clamp wont hold it tight enough. Couldnt rate this battery any better. One thing to note about disco batteries is that the terminals are on opposite ends to most vehicles, i spent ages trying to find a similar posted temporary battery and couldnt, ended up using a merc battery as a "jump pack" Of course if you dont want the expense of an optima, find someone with a halfords trade card, get a battery for about £50, and take it back within 4 years, they never ask q's just chuck you a new one. But the optima was for me espescially as it doesnt mind being drained completely flat, unlike normal batteries whose lives diminish quickly with every deep discharge

Halfords for me - been buying the standard fitment for whatever vehicle needs it for years now and never had to use the warranty (although I always stick the receipt in a plastic bag on the battery just in case).

Thinking about this four year warranty, as I recall, we were lucky if a battery lasted 18 months when I were a lad (in the 60's)? Now I have a hard worked battery on my Honda motorcycle that is over ten years old - it's a little cranky in the mornings sometimes but then so am I :D So what changed? Did the battery manufacture get so much better or is it down to superior charge management?

Yup it was always Halfords fore me, my original LR battery lasted 5 years and now my replacement Lucas battery from Halfords is nearly 8 years old. It cost £72 back then, now they want £93 so when is packs up I will be looking somewhere else for a replacement.