How to break a vice

Troddenmasses

Turbocharger (John) turned up at my house today and there was a horrific propshaft type noise coming from his 90, so I offered to let him drop oil on my drive, and help him fix it. We popped the circlips out, and were pressing the UJ cups out with my 1 tonne vice. Unfortunately, it seems that John is quite strong......

broken.jpg

Unfortunately, this was at 5:05pm today (Saturday) and Machine Mart is about 30 mins away (Closes at 5:30pm) So a race there in the company car saw me managing to squeeze through the door with about 20 seconds to go. As I needed to be quick, I simply asked for the biggest vice that they had.

big.jpg

Bottom left can be seen the old vice......

Turbocharger (John) turned up at my house today and there was a horrific propshaft type noise coming from his 90, so I offered to let him drop oil on my drive, and help him fix it. We popped the circlips out, and were pressing the UJ cups out with my 1 tonne vice. Unfortunately, it seems that John is quite strong......

broken.jpg

Unfortunately, this was at 5:05pm today (Saturday) and Machine Mart is about 30 mins away (Closes at 5:30pm) So a race there in the company car saw me managing to squeeze through the door with about 20 seconds to go. As I needed to be quick, I simply asked for the biggest vice that they had.

big.jpg

Bottom left can be seen the old vice......

Jeez , thats some vice !

see if turbocharger can break that one then!

I must say all of those tools look very nice n shiny

I must say all of those tools look very nice n shiny

That's cos I clean them. Can't stand using grotty, greasy tools that fly out of your hand when you use them. In the first picture, you can see my new dead-blow hammer - fantastic. I saw it mentioned on this forum and decided to get one.

That's cos I clean them. Can't stand using grotty, greasy tools that fly out of your hand when you use them. In the first picture, you can see my new dead-blow hammer - fantastic. I saw it mentioned on this forum and decided to get one.

here here!

that is a nice hammer :D - but what you also need is a good angle grinder - like a hammer it has a million uses, from precision grind of a stuck self tapper to chopping the rear of the chassis off. I know a guy who is an 'artist ' with one - he brings out for almost every job he does!!! frightening really!

here here!

that is a nice hammer :D - but what you also need is a good angle grinder - like a hammer it has a million uses, from precision grind of a stuck self tapper to chopping the rear of the chassis off. I know a guy who is an 'artist ' with one - he brings out for almost every job he does!!! frightening really!

and then there's me with a angle grinder, which just has "frightening" consequences :D

how much was the red version?

I was quite surprised - only £41.07 inc. It is in the machine mart catalogue - CSVR200. The picture is tiny, so the vice looks really weedy. It is only when you look at it in person that you realise that it is made from 1/2" steel plate. The fact that it is steel rather than cast iron means that it should bend rather than shatter, and that there will be a little bit of spring in the jaws, but I can cope with that...

Just a quick post to say thank you to Mr and Mrs TroddenMasses for accomodating me over the weekend - I didn't fancy changing diff centres in the street outside my terraced house, so they offered their workshop (pictured above).

On the way there, one prop UJ started rattling - on closer inspection it appears 'next weekend' wasn't the best time to grease the UJs as all 4 were dry with that weird purple gack that goes with hot running. No problem, I have four new spares in the car. Off came the diff and props to do all the required tasks. Having pulled the diff apart and knocked one UJ out, I realised I had 4 of the wrong-size UJs.

Bugger.

The new diff centre doesn't have bearings on it - not a problem, we'll pull the old ones off. My puller has three legs, so we made a 2-leg version:

bearing_puller.jpg

This taught us three things:

Cheap pullers are made of cheese.

Those bearings won't come off easily.

No parts shops are open on a Sunday near Gloucester.

Bugger.

So I now have front wheel drive (with bad jangling noises), a rear diff casing and bits of milk-bottle stopping grit getting into the rear axle, and a shopping list for Monday.

To cap it all, we sorted the dodgy steering on his Ninety (tracking) and he went for a test drive with my mobile phone on the wing. This post is simply to exalt their workshop and accomodation though, I shall be visiting again (on Tuesday, actually - when I've got more bits). Can I drift the bearing races on myself - ie are they the same "fit" as a hub bearing?