Oil temperature/pressure senders

I am finally getting back to a job I started (but didn't finish) in February and am a little bit lost. I got adapter and banjo for what I think is the oil pressure sender and it was done in February. I am now looking at putting the oil temperature sender into the oil filter assembly.

I think I have identified the port which seems to be guarded with an almost impossible to reach but does just take a 22mm spanner but then seems like it is almost welded in - one skinned knuckle so far and no shift. I am concerned a bit since the nut part on the sender is only 12mm spanner fit so am nervous that I may not have got the right bit to try and undo, or if I have the right bit then the hole is going to be much bigger than my sender (VDO).

Anyone done this before and can perhaps shed some light on the matter?

Thanks

Malcy

I found this picture in workshop manual. The nut I am referring to is the big one just below the number 4 (which referrs to something else not on this image). A 22mm spanner fits it but you cannot get a full fit onto the nut because of obstructions

Just in case it helps anyone shed some light for me.

post-3029-1246373782_thumb.jpg

Hi western - I had been using your pictures (I downloaded them into my TheBeastie folder last time) and that is what helped me locate where I think I need to undo the bolt and insert my temperature sensor.

My cause to seek clarification came from (a) the 22mm bolt is bl**dy hard to get out and (B) if 22mm bolt comes out and 12mm bolt goes in isnt't there going to be an unholy gap involved.

If it is OK to just keep persevering then fair enough but the two concerns made me pause and check!

Thanks. That was huge help. Now know I have the right bolt but also that I have the wrong sender.

Mine is about 10.2mm across the thread peaks and about 9.5mm across the troughs. I suspect I have left it too late to try and get a replacement but I will try since I have the VDO gauge in place and just need to connect it up

Meanwhile I will not try further to get the bolt out - which give the skin on my knuckles a chance to heal anyway :P

As always, really appreciate your taking the time and trouble.

Malcy

Sorry to hi-jack your thread! Im in the process of getting all the bits together to fit gauges to my 300tdi. Anyone have any tips/pics as to installation of senders for oil oressure and temp? simialr to the 200tdi in terms of location and provision of holes on filter head?

I believe the oil pressure sender will fit in a similar postion to the 200Tdi/2.5TD version, but after looking at a 300Tdi engine I couldn't see a blanking plug on the oil filter head for the oil temp sender, so not sure if that can be fitted.

• 10 years later...

just fitted a vdo oil pressure sender to a 300 def. ,10x1 male fitted straight into same place as the orig. oil warning switch . it has two male connectors , one for the warning light ,

(the smaller of the two ) so need to change orig. female fitting ,and the other 6.3 female is the connection to the dial .it"s quite a tight fit , as the sender is ,I think, 40mm across,

and when you screw it in ,it comes very close to a bolt that clamps one of the oil cooler pipes to the filter . DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SENDER , as I think it" a 22mm spanner 

tightening  a10mm bolt! if you just nip it up ,it will/should not leak ,(mine has not) 

hope this helps ,Jethro

Nothing like dusting off an old topic, there had been some renewed interest regarding this on the forum recently.

For information, I drilled and tapped a 1/8NPT in that blank plug (4) to house my VDO oil temp sender, works really well.

37 minutes ago, Maverik said:

I drilled and tapped a 1/8NPT in that blank plug (4) to house my VDO oil temp sender, works really well.

The stock oil temperature sensor port is M16x1.5.  You can buy a VDO sender that screws directly in. Part 323-056.  Simple and reads better as the tip is properly in the oil flow. This is for 200TDI and earlier engines.  They removed the port for the 300TDI.

101806861_10157305561045658_1712076311465173647_o.jpg

Edited by Red90

How old the thread is, is irrelevant. There is still useful information in an old thread - we have the Technical Index on here for a start.

What's even better IMHO is when people cross-reference one thread from another. That makes them even more useful, even if they are ten years old.

Only ten years old? My Landrover is 4 times that, and has this engine, and this modification was only done a couple of months ago.

Perfectly valid to post to, I think.

IMG_20200412_164045.jpg

IMG_20200412_165150.jpg

IMG_20200412_165919.jpg