Cutting silicone hoses

DrRob

As above, what's the best method to neatly cut / trim silicone turbo hoses?

Stanley knife I was thinking.....

Appreciate some tips from anybody who's done it before....

Rob

PS

Typical Paddocks! 200Tdi kit is not an exact copy of the OEM hoses and need trimming.

Kit PM991 by the way.

As above, what's the best method to nearly cut / trim silicone turbo hoses?

Stanley knife I was thinking.....

Appreciate some tips from anybody who's done it before....

Rob

PS

Typical Paddocks! 200Tdi kit is not an exact copy of the OEM hoses and need trimming.

Kit PM991 by the way.

Draw the line you want to cut, around the pipe, then use a sharp stanley knike and trim away.

Nice sharp hack saw in one of the guides, best way of getting a straight edge.

Dave.

I sharp stanley gives a neater cut, and as long as you can follow the line you've drwan, it will be pretty straight.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Is that a "Ask me how I know" :blink: sort of comment :D ?

:)

Nige

Actually no.

It is well known that most knife type accident happen because the knife in use was not sharp enough making you have to push or pull too hard then the slip happens.

Did have a close call when building a model aircraft. Knocked the scalpel off the bench and quickly swung my legs out of the way as the scalpel stuck vertical into the floorboards........10mm from the end of my Springer Spaniels nose.

He remained fast asleep as I moved his nose out of the way before pulling the scalpel out of the boards.

Steve

Well, Whatever it is, it has to be sharp.

What I do when cutting thick rubber is using lubricant. Everyting liquid will do, even water. You will see that cutting is 10 times easier then and teh knife goes like in butter.

Its also easier to cut if you have something rigid inside, under where you want to cut. I used one of the little alloy joiners (same OD as pipe ID) when I trimmed mine. Saves the hose going all flexie when you try and get the knife in.

If its not a huge hose then use these .

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P6...amp;dir=catalog

But you can cut larger diameter hoses by piercing thetop and spinning the hose in the tool , Nice parralel cut every time and safer than a knife .

I'd also reccomend one of those pipe cutters as I've used them on plastic water pipe in the past to excellant effect. My only concern would be stopping the hose crushing.

Thanks for all the replies.

Taped it up as a guide and used a new stanley knife blade.

Worked a treat. :rolleyes:

Top hose to do tomorrow - kit is oversized on 2 of the hoses. Better than undersized I guess!!! :huh:

I use an angle grinder with cutting disc. Go fairly slow and carefully so it doesn't snag, square the end of the hose up by buffing it against the bottom of the disc.

Rinse loose bits off with water.

Smells a bit funny and leaves blue filings everywhere but is quick and works for me.

Usual H&S stuff applies..