TD5 or 2.8 TGV

toger

Keep the TD5 and don't waste money needlessly,

if you want more grunt then spend 1000 pounds on an intercooler and boost upgrade from JE Eng or others and off you go! 4000 pounds better off!

Or spent the full 5000 on the TD5 and my god you can have a fun engine!!!!!!!!

Lara 2.8 litre TD5

Hi Lara as i said i think mines a bit flat having now got used to it

it has had the following done though:

1) Alisport Cooler

2) Alisport Engine Remap / Chip to match the cooler

3) Cat & Center Silencer Removed

Full article on Lara's 90 in the March 2006 issue of Land Rover Owner

Just finished reading it

Very impressed :D I think I could be persuaded to buy a Td5 if they had made them like that :D

I thought it struck a chord

Hi Lara as i said i think mines a bit flat having now got used to it

it has had the following done though:

1) Alisport Cooler

2) Alisport Engine Remap / Chip to match the cooler

3) Cat & Center Silencer Removed

I honestly can't see where the problem is James - your motor is one of the nicest TD5's I have driven tuned or not AND I have driven a hell of a lot over the last few years. Compared to say Vince Cobley's old Tomb raider it is streets ahead (mind you that thing was a bag of pooh).

"Lara 2.8 litre TD5"

Please explain more, you had a rebore?

Hi Toger,

No rebore as the bore walls are too thin, had a new crank and rods made etc and stroked it to 2.8 that way it gives better torque increase as well, (490 nm @ 2000)

Soon to fit a Variable geometry turbo and tubular manifold as well for even more fun!

Regards,

Lara.

I'm going to drive over to belgium one day to stick me nose under the bonnet.

Once youve told me exactly what to do to make a td5 the better engine than a tgv other than a new cooler :D

And body know what all this anti X-eng is all about please?

Interesting, those Steyr engines, they have no seperate cylinder head. The head and block are cast as one unit so no head bolts or gasket. Ingenious.

Always wondered why that was never done. So, why isn't everyone doing this?

BTW, on the steyr site, what the buggy on the bottom right, below the hummer? Looks like loads a fun

:)

Always wondered why that was never done. So, why isn't everyone doing this?

BTW, on the steyr site, what the buggy on the bottom right, below the hummer? Looks like loads a fun

:)

My guess is that the block would be longer and the crankshaft heavier, because the piston must pass between the main bearings.

Those are Swiss Army vehicles.

The engin fitted to the 110 seems to be a 4 cyl. engine,the M14.

I'm waiting for a reply from Steyr.

Anyway,the M16TC has been fitted to a MoD 110 from Ricardo SV,

I'm trying to know if/what modifications has been done.

:ph34r:

163 ponies and 350Nm of torque @ 1800 rpm...ouch...

:blink:

Interesting, those Steyr engines, they have no seperate cylinder head. The head and block are cast as one unit so no head bolts or gasket. Ingenious.

Chris

Not a new idea though. There was a Leyland truck engine in the 70's with the same design. Though that one was iron rather than the aluminium of the Steyr engine. Obviously they can be a pain to work on if you need any valve work etc. Any major work involving valves, pistons or rings etc is an engine out job, so repair with the engine in situ is not really possible. Also the average machine shop/engine rebuilder may not have the tooling necessary to work on valve seats, guides and bores, because the standard tooling won't reach/fit.

Regards,

Diff

My guess is that the block would be longer and the crankshaft heavier, because the piston must pass between the main bearings.

Old hat.

Have a look at some cars around the 1900 year. DFP I think,it is what ever Bently imported for London taxis and some early Bentley ideas.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

Those are Swiss Army vehicles.

The engin fitted to the 110 seems to be a 4 cyl. engine,the M14.

I'm waiting for a reply from Steyr.

Anyway,the M16TC has been fitted to a MoD 110 from Ricardo SV,

I'm trying to know if/what modifications has been done.

:ph34r:

163 ponies and 350Nm of torque @ 1800 rpm...ouch...

:blink:

The latest edition of LRW (Feb?) we have out here has an article on a military expo with some details of the Ricardo modded wolf in it, upgraded chassis & suspension for a GVW of I think 4.2 tonnes, seems they gave up tinkering with the LR engine & went for the Steyr one. I thought it was the M14 engine but the figures in the article agree with Micheles figures. Hmmm yummy :D:D

re the monobloc engine, the Le Mans winning Bentleys of the late 1920s, early 1930s had this style of block, all the way up to an 8 litre straight six. These engines all had 4 valves per cylinder & were considered very advanced for their day. As Mike has pointed out above. theres nothing new under the sun.

Steve.

The latest edition of LRW (Feb?) we have out here has an article on a military expo with some details of the Ricardo modded wolf in it, upgraded chassis & suspension for a GVW of I think 4.2 tonnes, seems they gave up tinkering with the LR engine & went for the Steyr one. I thought it was the M14 engine but the figures in the article agree with Micheles figures. Hmmm yummy :D:D

re the monobloc engine, the Le Mans winning Bentleys of the late 1920s, early 1930s had this style of block, all the way up to an 8 litre straight six. These engines all had 4 valves per cylinder & were considered very advanced for their day. As Mike has pointed out above. theres nothing new under the sun.

Steve.

You've reminded me...

Yes the Bentley had a monoblock cylinder and head but didn't they have a separate crankcase??

If I remember one of the tricks Wally Hassen used to do was to leave the gaskets out from between the crank case and the block to increase the CR when he shouldn't have.Working on the principle that no good mechanic would forget such a gasket.

Now Wally Hassen,What else did he help devolope??

Bentley apart from the cars which carried his name,what famouse engine did he help develope??

Apart from a hi-jack.......

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

You've reminded me...

Yes the Bentley had a monoblock cylinder and head but didn't they have a separate crankcase??

If I remember one of the tricks Wally Hassen used to do was to leave the gaskets out from between the crank case and the block to increase the CR when he shouldn't have.Working on the principle that no good mechanic would forget such a gasket.

Now Wally Hassen,What else did he help devolope??

Bentley apart from the cars which carried his name,what famouse engine did he help develope??

Mike, you're teasing I reckon. To my mind Hassan was best known later on for his involvement with Jaguar engines, both the XK series of engines & the later V12. He was also involved with Coventry Climax racing engines. yes???

Steve.

No not teasing.

I worked for our Ford main dealer 1973-1981. :P

The owner was Keith Schellenberg [sp] who at the time owned the Banarto-Hassen Bently.Many the time I'd get into the workshp to fingd the Banarto-Hassen in it's wagon.....

Yes I think you're right over the Climax as well as the the Jaguar XK.

Now join the EK developement and the first high aerodynamic wing on a racing car.Can you come up with the name of the engineer and the car that the wing was fitted to??The year would be good as well.

You missed the Bently engine that went through to the 1960's....LOL :rolleyes:

I'm now causing trouble on this fine post

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!!

Mike, not sure what EK is, the engineer would be Schapparal (?) & his car of the same name, about 1967-68 I think. As for the Bentley engine I guess you mean one designed by WO so it would have to be one from his days with Lagonda, possibly carried thru to the Aston Martin DB3 though I thought they had the first Tadek Maerak (?) engines in them. Too late to look it up now, the missus will do me if I wake her up , shes got to work in the morning. Nighty night. :)

Steve.

Hi Mike & good morning, sorry can't make a connection between the XK & high wings. I do recall a picture of a racing E-type with such at one point but I think that would have post dated the use of such things in F1. tell me more please.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi Mike & good morning, sorry can't make a connection between the XK & high wings. I do recall a picture of a racing E-type with such at one point but I think that would have post dated the use of such things in F1. tell me more please.

Cheers, Steve.

I don't think you're going back far enough...........

A guy called May.Involved in a lot of Jaguar engineering I believe.

Targa Florio [sp] 1956 if I remember.He and his co-driver had a Porsche.They mounted a wing above the seats or fairly centrally on the car.

The scrutenieers threw it out as they didn't understand the principle of the aerodynamics !!!

I'm not going through all my copies of Motor Sport to find the Dennis Jenkinson article !!!!

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in am empty house !!

You've got me on that one Mike, its b4 my time I guess, I was still trying to work out where Mum kept all that milk ( since figured that out :D) You got a link to any info on that sounds interesting? hey, how did I do with my Aston Martin/ Lagonda answer huh huh!! or did I strike out on that too :( ? Maybe we should start a new thread on this, call it old bugg3rs try to turn back the clock or somesuch ;)

ATB, Steve.

Maybe we should really....

Yep Bently designed the AM Lagonda engine.That was after the Rolls Royce fiasco when he was supposed to go to Napia [sp]

I carry all this uselass stuff in my head.

You don't fancy a load of Motor Sport mags going back to 1961 do you???

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

Much as I would love to take you up on the offer Mike, I think shipping would be a tad excessive & my dear wife would kill me. If you could see the stuff in the basement already you would understand;) like you, mosy of what I've read tends to lurk in dim recesses of the memory banks just waiting for a thread like this. Ask me to think of something I can make money from & I go to pus. Ho hum :(

ATB, Steve.