what's your turbo pressure?

Bluemoon

As the title says, what's your tubo boost gauge reading? (300tdi engine only) and is it for racing or general motoring/ motorway miles/ towing . I want to see what is the average or what the engine can reliaibly run at, without any mods to the cylinder head, without people saying don't do that! :( , just for the hell of it.

If you have a EGT gauge, what is the max temp you have gained , and is the turbo boost related, have you turned the boost back down. Please only from experience. :)

cheers Brian

I use the 90 for everything motorways/touring towing a trailer and previously a caravan and of course winch challenges where I drive to and from the events, last one was in Kirton approx 240miles each way furthest it has been is Northern Spain/France and Belgium latest mods approx 2years

prior to that I ran it at 21psi for 4years

but melted a piston(unrelated) as number 4 injector was leaking.

As the title says, what's your tubo boost gauge reading? (300tdi engine only) and is it for racing or general motoring/ motorway miles/ towing . I want to see what is the average or what the engine can reliaibly run at, without any mods to the cylinder head, without people saying don't do that! :( , just for the hell of it.

If you have a EGT gauge, what is the max temp you have gained , and is the turbo boost related, have you turned the boost back down. Please only from experience. :)

cheers Brian

Max 630C, standard factory boost of 1.1 bar although that is only achieved with full throttle. Most of the time don't need to exceed 0.7 bar for swift performance. 65mph on the motorway gives 0.5 bar and around 385C

22-24 psi 200 tdi defender (made approx 150bhp on dyno)

Egts were 700-950c+ when driven hard, when driven steady would do 550c ish

Used for winch challenges and daily drive

Have just converted to auto with a 300tdi turbo on the 200 tdi engine, not had a chance to refit egt probe yet but seatofpants dyno indicates quicker than previous setup and currently running standard boost,should get it on the 4wd dyno one night this week

Mike

Yes, that is extremely high if deg C, general rule 750 at tops for safe use.

Although high boost does not = high EGTs many times just raising the boost without adding fuel will actually lower EGT as the extra air acts to cool things down! this is one of the reasons that most factory diesels will benefit from extra fuel, because automotive factory settings are anything up to 60% lean!!

Boost itself does not necessarily give lower reliability fro your engine either! however anything over 1.8 bar will certainly play a role in turbo life!

Lara

Boom :)

means i can do this :ph34r:

0984c2f64c833c5471b244a5c4792909.jpg

dont have it that hot all the time however i havent had a turbo or headgasket failure yet

(hmmm thats knacked that run of luck)

However having access to a 4wd dyno helps with the fine tuning so it very rarely now goes that high

holy cow batman!

if my turbo glowed like that i would have a complete panic attack!

mine is running standard boost (but boost is measured from back of inlet manifold) and the fuelling turned up a little bit for added towing power.

Max EGT gas been 680C on a long motorway hill towing the pikeywagon.

boost:

1.2 bar @ inlet manifold on overboost (brief around 1 sec max)

1 bar at max boost after

0.5bar cruising, rarely below unless the throttle is only slightly off tickover.

300tdi with VNT & 45 degree turn on boost diaphragm.

EGT unknown but assumed similar to standard 300tdi as no extra boost is being used for long periods. leaves a standard 300 for dead, Td5s are also slower (i'm yet to come across a tuned one though). The extra torque makes it alot easier to drive, it will pull higher gears from lower revs.

I know of a 300tdi with max achieveable fuelling on the diaphragm about 2 turns on the other fuelling screws and 18psi @ wastegate, it smokes like a traction engine but goes like hell!