do i really need it

replacing the brake discs on my 90 today , and replacing stub oil seals (and probabley one stub axel too)

do i really need the round steel plate come washer thingy on the stub axel (where it bolts on to axel ) i cant see much point to them .

also where the best place to buy a new stub axel , one of mine has the seal journals baddly pitted , are patten ok or buy genuine ?

ta

Dafydd

yep thats the ring ,

how does it keep the carp away from the seal ?

my first thought it could fit ''tight'' in the back of the disc but it doesnt :( so just helps keep the carp IN the back of the disc around the seal

p.s mods i must have put this in the wrong section , is there an option in my settings of an automated reply when a mod moves my post so i know where its gone too ?

my bad thought i had put it up in international ?

Yes I moved it as it's a vehicle specific query. There is no automated notification other than keeping a link in the original forum which tends to lead to a lot of clutter. I'm afraid I just don't have time to PM every member to inform them that their respective posts have been moved.

replacing the brake discs on my 90 today , and replacing stub oil seals (and probabley one stub axel too)

do i really need the round steel plate come washer thingy on the stub axel (where it bolts on to axel ) i cant see much point to them .

also where the best place to buy a new stub axel , one of mine has the seal journals baddly pitted , are patten ok or buy genuine ?

ta

Dafydd

Personally I'd fit "G"-spec stub axles, or genuine if your local Landy dealer can give you a good discount.

Having worked in the trade and supplied many pattern parts, I have seen a large percentage returned because the machining isn't up to standard and the bearings don't fit properly.

If you can swallow the prices, buy genuine.

The ring was not fitted to later vehicles - even though everything else stayed the same. I would bin them.

Les.

So was the option to adjust preload on the wheel bearings with staked nuts instead

not all progress is good and things left off of later models is probably cost saving rather than beneficial.

Point of order, Land rover call this plate a locking ring ???

The ring was not fitted to later vehicles - even though everything else stayed the same. I would bin them.

Les.

I have just dismantled a salisbury rear axle from an early TD5 and it has thes plates, described in the parts book as locking plates, although the stub axle bolts have locking compound on them. I can see that the plate does reduce the gap between stub axle disc though. Strange.