Been e-shopping at Paddock recently?

Lars L

One of my cards was fraudulently used over the summer.

Odd thing was, they managed to use it on a paypal purchase.

I cannot set up a paypal account because the address the CC is registered to does not exist in the database paypal check against :blink:

Most banks now implement a check, that looks at your spend history. If the system spots an "out of character" purchase eg foreign usage, or substantially large amount, then it blocks the transaction.

My mum recently had this happen when she went to pay for her new car using her bank card. Because it was a large transaction, that did not fit with her usual spend amounts, the bank blocked the transaction, and locked the card. She had to go into her branch and take ID to get it unlocked and complete the transaction.

I was quite annoyed when i discovered mine, but to be fair this could happen with any mail order/internet company,in this case it happens to be Paddock. But as lots on here use them it only seems fair to name them to warn people to check their statements. In no way am I accuseing Paddock of any dishonesty. I've spoken to them and they're taking the whole thing very seriously.

If you've had your card used fraudulently and you think it may be linked to a Paddocks transaction, AFTER August when they changed payment methods, please let them know.

Also very few companies store that sort of detail on a seperate server.

If you are serious about internet facing security you will be using a minimum of dual layer security at the firewall and server level. Thats means external and internal firewalls and same with servers, this means that only the web server faces the internet and the transactional layer is seperated by the internal firwall to a transactional server.

Hope that makes sense

Paul

Although people get very worried about card usage on the web, there is probably more leakage of data from in-house systems than from web sites. Companies often put in good web security and forget about doing the same in house - unencrypted card details stored on a server in an un-secured equipment room for example?

That's all covered by the PCIDSS regulations, any system that processes/passes sensitive data (PAN numbers, CSC) has to be compliant regardless of being an internal system or a customer facing system. As part of the regs they have to be independently penetration tested and if you develop your own software, even if it only passes a number and doesn't store it, the code has to be checked by another developer and the developer can't test or deploy the application.

The PCIDSS consultation "gravy train" is even bigger than the Y2K one was, we now have 3 layers of consultants where the consultant we deal with on a daily basis has to ask a higher level consultant to check his decisions... I hate to think what it's costing but it's kept me gainfully employed for a year or so now !

Been hit 3 times in 8 months, all of them when I was abroad in the Middle East. The credit company told me these people watch web-pages and get all info from people making purchases that day, then 2-3 days afterward hit everyone from small to large purchases.

Got a phone call once from the CC and asked had I bought a takeaway pizza, when I told him I was in Oman he laughed and said suppose not....it would of been cold by the time it got here :lol:

Problem is chnaging everything to the new number :angry:

Regards

Gary

it would of been cold by the time it got here :lol:

humour from a bank?!!

i got stung a fewmonths back with my business account-i had a phone call from a computer asking if i had attempted to withdraw several thousand pounds in australia! the guy was comedy though- "are you sure it wasnt you sir"

"no, i was asleep in bed.....IN THE UK!!!"

Nothing to do with Paddock but five or so years ago my bank rang and asked if I had spent £650 in Currys or comet, when I said as I had no idea who they where ringing me they where cool and gave me a number to ring, I checked this number on my CC statement, only then did I feel happy talking to them, the amount never appeared on my statement and i never heard another word about it.

Has anyone spoken to Paddocks??

Seems only fair if you have been scammed to tell them?

They will not want bad publicity/lost business?

Yes, I have, if you read my earlier post, Ive asked anyone else who's had this happen AFTER august 09 to do the same please.

It's possible that my card details were gained prior to their security being uprated in August. If so, it just seems strange that the fraud didn't occur until a week after i used it with them in December.

If their new system is being breached then if you've said this has happened to you, please let them know, it only takes an email.

It would also be good to keep this thread specific to paddocks, or at least Land Rover shopping related. I wouldn't want to see it degenerate into peoples general card fraud anacdotes, and get deleted.