Tyre Choice

MITCHF

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if you've been asked before.

I want some advice on tyre choice for my 96 300.

It's currently on 235/70/16 road tyres.

I want to get some AT tyres, I don't need seriously aggressive pattern and I don't want a second mortgage to pay for them.

Any recommendations ?

Also, what size can I go up to without having to make any modifications to arch or suspension ?

245/70/16 or 234/75/16 ?

Thanks for listening, Mitch

What

Welcome to LR4x4 :)

How much are you prepared to spend?

Generally (excuse the pun...) I would recommend something like the General Grabber AT2 as a damn good all rounder, there are however cheap remould copies of the BFG AT (similar tread) for probably not much more than half the price, they wouldn't be my choice but may be suitable depending on mileage etc. The AT2s are available in a wide range of sizes including 235/70R16, 225/75R16, 245/70R16 which should all fit OK.

I didn't say they were remoulds, I said that as an alternative there are remould copies available of the BFG AT pattern (or near as dammit identical) which would be a cheaper alternative. Grabber AT2s are not remoulds.

"There are" not "They are" :)

I didn't say they were remoulds, I said that as an alternative there are remould copies available of the BFG AT pattern (or near as dammit identical) which would be a cheaper alternative. Grabber AT2s are not remoulds.

"There are" not "They are" :)

sorry chap i misread lol (and panic set in lol)

long day at work and still a bit hungover from the bank holiday weekend bender lolol

i belive the colway if still avaulable looks very much like the bfg at

rob

I bought a set of Insa Turbo Dakars in standard 235/70/16. They look good on there, and black painted Disco (commercial) steel wheels. £200 for the lot alebit because the wheels cost me a fiver on eBay! :-) Anyway, feedback is that they're excellent off road, but noisy on road. As for longevity I've no idea, but I do change back to Pirelli ST's for long road use anyway.

I have had my Cooper ATR's fitted to my 96 300tdi for 2 years, about 15,000 miles and couldn't recommend them enough. Excellent on road manners, quiet on the motorway and loads of grip for green laning. Even after 2 years they have masses of tread left .

Jules :)

another cooper user here i've just replaced a set of at's on the front after 25,000; mostly road miles the rear's are good for another few thousand miles. the At's were great on and off road but mostly on forest roads and soft fields rather than green lanes. replaced fronts with atr's and so far very impressed quieter than the at's on road and ploughed through the recent flooded roads no problem not used them of road but don't think they will be at all bothered with what i do.

I have had BFG AT's on for 85000 miles now. And they're still easily road legal (minimum tread depth is around 3mm).

They cost £100 per corner, and in my opinion are well sorth it if you intend to keep the vehicle long enought to get the value out of them.

Then best lasting tyres I have had.

Decent on green lanes, great in snow, but not done any real tough mud plugging.

If I were keeping the vehicle long enough to get the value I would by BFG AT's again...

I have had BFG AT's on for 85000 miles now. And they're still easily road legal (minimum tread depth is around 3mm).

They cost £100 per corner, and in my opinion are well sorth it if you intend to keep the vehicle long enought to get the value out of them.

Then best lasting tyres I have had.

Decent on green lanes, great in snow, but not done any real tough mud plugging.

If I were keeping the vehicle long enough to get the value I would by BFG AT's again...

To keep my 200TDI standard I have fitted origional size Cooper ST,s. Probly a bit agresive for the amount of green laning I do but they look good and dont seem too noisy on the road. So far they seem to perform ok. One run up an ice covered rocky lane last winter was a good test. A relative of mine, ex Ausy Army said they used Coopers for there Landrovers in his time, probly STT,s.As for long life I have only had 10 months so far and they look like new. :)

It always strikes me that this sort of decision is based on "Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice"

BFG and Coopers both provide excellent products which, from what I have read, seem to have very little between them.

I went for BFG. I would probably be just as happy with Coopers. However, I won't be finding out for at least another 20k miles from the look of my tyres!

• 2 weeks later...

I went with std 235/70/16, had them fitted this morning.

Insa Turbo Rangers.

£300 new, fitted and balanced, I was happy with that.

Took them for a quick spin tonight on the green & muddy stuff and I'm initially happy :D

They behave on the road and aren't noisy.

Cheers for everyones input

Mitch