101 Campers

Defender

Hi All,

Does anyone have the internal dimensions of a 101 ambulance? I'm interested in looking at camper conversions and I'm wondering what will fit comfortably but still be useable. I only really need it to sleep two people (Double bed) and two large dogs in the floor space, but would like a toilet/bathroom/shower and a dining/cooking area as well. In fact would anyone mind posting up photos of what you've managed to squeeze into your interiors?

I'm slightly dreaming now but my ideal would be a 101 camper fully kitted out for weekends away with a spec lift on the back so I can tow my motor to events and a lean to workshop/awning that we can fold out to work on the truck if the weather turns nasty.

As I say this is nothing but a dream as I should image that this would be the thick end of £30k to build so I'm just after ideas for the interior of a camper in a 101 at the minute........currently using a trailer tent which is superb with all the space and hot water etc but have to drive my motor to events towing it whereas I'd like the comforts of the trailer tent but be able to tow my motor in case I break it.

Thanks,

Pete

If you're at all serious then there are many better prospects out there for camper conversion that will give you much better space & practicality.

Off the top of my head:

Volvo C303/304/306 (like a 101, but made right and tonnes more space inside)

Unimog (a bit heavy but the big ones will take a big pod on the back)

Pinzgauer (plenty o-space inside, like a Volvo but newer.)

Some of the larger 4x4 vans / smaller 4x4 trucks, esp. double-cab jobbies (plonk an insulated ex-army radio body on the back and job done)

In fact, on half your budget you could by some really very nice trucks, almost up to MAN KAT which are really rather bling.

Have a look here for some interesting gear.

I have to say I agree with Fridge. I probably might still have the dimensions somewhere but am making no promises about being able to find them!

TBH if you must have a Land Rover from personal experience I prefer the 127/130 ambulance on which to base a conversion. The living area is much the same but being based on a converted Defender chassis cab with a box on the back means that it's lighter and spares are plentiful and easy to come by.

personally i'd agree with fridge - but for UK/Europe camping and travelling i would go for an even cheaper option, no 4x4 capability!

buy a used recovery truck and take the flat bed off the back and mount a cheap caravan body on it. You should be able to fit a nice 18ft caravan body directly to the trucks chassis. Has the benefits of easily being capable of coping with the weight of the caravan body AND pulling a landy behind it, long enough ladder chassis construction means it should be fairly easy to make some brackets to join the caravans chassis to the trucks chassis too.

post-2947-12523115451_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your replies.

Fridge thats an awesome website! Now all I need to do is win the lottery and buy a vast expance of woodland to play rolleyes.gif

Miserableoldgit I agree the 127/130 would be an easier option but there is a bizarre part of me that wants the 101 mini truck experience once in my life.

Nicks90 thats an excellent idea and quite easy/cheap to acheive and something I'll defintely look into further once the 101 is out of my system, the best part is presumably you could make the caravan removable and move yours and your mates truck to local events or help other stricken competitors out in their hour of need....a top idea and one I will definately consider.

I would still like some interior photos of your 101 campers for some ideas if possible.

Pete

It also has to be said that LR parts are only easily available in the UK, most other places in the world you're better off with a Land Cruiser or Patrol.

Nicks90 - why buy a recovery truck? A normal 7.5 or 17.5 tonner is the same thing but you wouldn't have to rip a perfectly usable recovery truck up. Hell, a refrigerated box body would be an ideal one - stick a few windows in, full size bed & sofa, eberspacher, and a few fixtures & fittings from the caravan shop and you've got a very robust (and well insulated) camping pod with the world's best air con :D A lot of the bodies are demountable with a leg at each corner, I've seen them go for £300 on eBay.

Here's a few more to get you going, I think most of these are available for 5-10k (in fact you can probably buy a brand new Wazzik for £5k)

IMG_6777.jpg

2007-06-03-17h08m12.jpg

ladoga_06_0296.jpg

The Gaz "Wazzik", as used by everyone in the east - 4x4 and 3 moving parts:

2007-05-31-14h09m13.jpg

6x6 Volvos - a lot of space, and portals:

post-21-125232145404_thumb.jpg

ladoga_06_0036.JPG

ladoga_06_0494.jpg

On Fridge's theme how about a new-old-stock Ural 4320 for about £9,000 complete with radio body? They come up ex-Polish military through these guys. They've had Zil-131's on there with 500km on the clock for under £3,000.

I've been thinking about a Gaz-66, Zil-131 or a Ural 4320 for a while. Awesome off road ability, totally simiple mechanics, cheap, will cruise at 50 mph and do anything up to about 15 mpg depending on model (according to Russian truck forums)

Having owned a 101, a GS I have to agree with Fridge, TBH I think you would struggle to fit everything you want without some very clever packaging. Don't get me wrong they are great fun but take alot to live with. Also you would definatly want to think about fitting power steering and requires moding the chassis (SVA anyone?).

Brookers