11" brakes and 110 servo help

Discovan300tdi

right I ve just got a late 109 front axle (plastic hubcap type) to fit onto my swb , and Ive also got a salisbury rear axle to fit as well,which has been modified to fit the swb spring setup already along with the prop,

a I also have a servo and pedalbox of a very early 110 will this work ok with the 11" brakes allround ??? or is overkill on a swb with a 2 and a quarter running on lpg, although I'm tempted to go V8 in the future so the idea of having decent brakes before hand seems a good idea

also I guess the late front axle will be metric threads on the wheel cylinders?

I would have thought this would seriously overbrake the rear which is dangerous.

Daan

I have run 11" brakes all round on my IIA since about 1990. Regular LWB twin leading shoe on the front, and LWB SIII on the rear with the IIA LWB front wheel cylinders. Braking balance has been fine on the road (no tendency to lock the rears early, or swap ends in a corner) and has always tested ok at MoT time. When I get round to the rebuild on a new chassis, it will get the wider 1-ton brake set up on the front.

BTW: I used to run a servo with this set up, but found the brakes could be a bit fierce when a gentle application was called for. Did away with the servo and the pedal is nice and progressive without requiring a heavy foot.

I have run 11" brakes all round on my IIA since about 1990. Regular LWB twin leading shoe on the front, and LWB SIII on the rear with the IIA LWB front wheel cylinders. Braking balance has been fine on the road (no tendency to lock the rears early, or swap ends in a corner) and has always tested ok at MoT time. When I get round to the rebuild on a new chassis, it will get the wider 1-ton brake set up on the front.

BTW: I used to run a servo with this set up, but found the brakes could be a bit fierce when a gentle application was called for. Did away with the servo and the pedal is nice and progressive without requiring a heavy foot.

To do away with the servo Dave did you just remove the vacuum feed? Mine has 11" all round with S3 dual pistons up front and singles at the rear with std LWB non-6 pot shoes.

The 11 inch all round system on the SWB was a factory upgrade.

When did that option become available? It would make chasing part numbers, wheel cylinder diameters, etc much easier.

IIRC, 11 inch front and 10 inch rear brakes became standard on the SWB from ~1981/2.

When did that option become available? It would make chasing part numbers, wheel cylinder diameters, etc much easier.

IIRC, 11 inch front and 10 inch rear brakes became standard on the SWB from ~1981/2.

Ah, I think you're right, I've checked mine this p.m. and the rears are still 10in, it's just the slave cylinders that were changed. :blink:

after reading the replys

last night I tried the early (1983) 110 servo and pedal box on my series bulkhead and bonnet and it shuts ??

compared the size of it and its the same size as the servo on my mates late model 109 station wagon,typical landrover looks lke theyve been using the old parts up , just my luck,