good idea to??

flatback90

keep it standard , good quality stat , good quality antifreze to correct strenth and leave viscous fan do its job , an over cooled engine by removing stat wont help either .

my 300tdi has never suffered off road with the standard set up.

just make sure you keep, the rad clean

keep it standard , good quality stat , good quality antifreze to correct strenth and leave viscous fan do its job , an over cooled engine by removing stat wont help either .

my 300tdi has never suffered off road with the standard set up.

just make sure you keep, the rad clean

thanks gsr is your's a challenge truck? my 200 gets warmer than normal when doing gentle offroading was worried bout the 300 when being used hard. btw the rad is new!

The thermostat helps restrict flow out of the head, creating back-pressure that stops steam bubbles forming in the nooks and crannies in the head. I am led to believe TDi's especially do not like being run with no stat. At best, remove the centre from a stat so the outer ring is still providing some restriction, although I wouldn't like to guarantee even that as a safe option.

You could always relocate the rad/install a fully dipped larger fully alu core. Not sure what style you are running but with a truck cab a common mod is to put it behind the cab and protected by the roll-cage. This also moves it from the position where logs, rocks, etc can easily hole it.

on a 300tdi challenge truck would it be advisable to 1, remove the thermostat and 2 "fix" the viscous so its permantly blowing? just knowing what 300's are like for heating i'm gettin a bit paranoid about boiling it

I drove a 300 Tdi for thousand of K's on sandy dirt roads with a trailer at high revs in 45 + Degrees c for hours at a time with no over heating problems

The biggest problem with challenge trucks overheating ,has more to do with the rad being blocked with mud and carp and not being cleaned out well enough

I drove a 300 Tdi for thousand of K's on sandy dirt roads with a trailer at high revs in 45 + Degrees c for hours at a time with no over heating problems

The biggest problem with challenge trucks overheating ,has more to do with the rad being blocked with mud and carp and not being cleaned out well enough

That seems to be the common LR diesel experience. That is also why relocating the rad up out of the mud is a good idea.

The only time I have the temperature going beyond halfway is on the motorway at 70 mph. If everything is ok, offroad driving shouldn't be a problem even if the viscous is a bit dodgy. It doesn't emit a lot of heat at low rpm, but does at high rpm. I recently spend quite a bit of time sealing the radiator to the grille panel, to make sure all the incoming air will go through the radiator, rather than around it. This solved the motorway driving issue as well.

Daan

Its not RPM related, but load related.

On the motorway, your average power output is high, especially pulling loads up hills and suchlike.

Trundling round an offroad site, the engines in a very low load state, perhaps with the odd full throttle blast, so the thermal output is much lower.

Even so, if at 70 your rad is struggling, i would suggest you need to have a look at it to see if there are any fins left, and give it a flush thru, as it shouldnt really start to heat up just driving at 70, unless your nailed to the boards pulling 3.5Tonnes of trailer uphill or something.

Just because your rad is new, dont assume its not blocked!

My 200TDi'd 88 never gets hot, i even considered leaving the muff on all year...and im just thinking about refitting it now...I can do 70 all the way up the M6 from Rugby to Dudley (apart from the roadworks at the moment) and she hardley ever gets over 75degrees C. Thats with a Series rad, and a 4-speed plus OD on rangie diffs.