Maplins

keithjh

Hi All

Went to Maplins yesterday for some Heat Shrink as i have a considerable amount of wiring to sort out, anyway on entering the store I was pounced on by a spotty sales asistant "Can i help you sir" certainly, where is your Heat Shrink?, frown appears on said spotty youths face then he broke into a beaming smile and answered " Don`t think we sell that sir, but i know Tescos does as my mum wraps my sandwiches in it"............................ needless to say i found my own heat shrink

Keith

:D

Talking of heatshrink, i ordered up a few meters of the stuff in various sizes about 4 months ago for a few jobs i was doing, deciding that it would be nice to have some in stock. Finished with it and left the remainder sitting on top of my V8's wiring loom in a box in the hall way for future use.

Few weeks later i see the cat running around with a strange length of black stuff, fighting with it, biting it, jumping all over the place with it. When i realised what it was i thaught "GEH!" and grabbed it off her. The entire length of it was covered in bite marks. Went out into the hall and sure enough ALL of the heatshink is missing, looked around and found the other 4 sizes in a similar state scattered round under the stairs. She'd even managed to chew lumps out of the 3/4" stuff that i hadnt even unrolled.

She still runs around with the same bit of heatshink today, albeit a bit shorter where its snapped from her biting, and nicely ignores the rest of the toys the missus spend good money buying!

Does this topic hold any merit in the context of Land Rover Technical Information/Interest?

John

Yes.

It tells us that Maplins stock Heat Shrink tube, but not to be put off if the store assistants don't know it.

It tells us that when animals are present, or likely to be present, we should take appropriate precautions to minimise their adverse interaction with the important things in life, like cars and associated equipment.

Some of us will take the hint, and keep good things out of reach of animals.

Some of us will take the hint, and not keep pet animals.

Some of us will fail to recognise the hint.

:-)

Does this topic hold any merit in the context of Land Rover Technical Information/Interest?

John

I apologise if what i thought was quite funny is upsetting forum members, and yes obliquely it was LR related as the heat shrink was for my 110.

So Moderators please remove this thread or whatever its called if you think its unappropriate.

Keith

Bringing this round to being almost useful ;) You might like to have a look at CPC, they are like the wholesale version of Maplins - tonnes more stuff and usually lots cheaper. Mail order only. They do some good heatshrink kits in 2:1 and 3:1 ratio, which I find more useful.

Since we're on heat-shrink tech now ;)

Glue lined is well worth it for a lot of stuff in LR's, I know RS sell bags of pre-cut glue-lined 3:1 ratio HS and it's very handy. 3:1 ratio is handier than 2:1 as it's more tolerant of things like slipping over a connector or joint (EG 3 wires into 1). Clear HS is handy for shrinking over labels - stops it rubbing off / falling off / getting damp. Also a selection of colours is handy to tag the ends of wires (EG if you have 10 black earth wires you can tag them to indicate which one's going where).

I apologise if what i thought was quite funny is upsetting forum members, and yes obliquely it was LR related as the heat shrink was for my 110.

So Moderators please remove this thread or whatever its called if you think its unappropriate.

Keith

Keith

Don't worry, it was the s&ite about the cat that prompted my question :D

John