Old springs - not exactly what I was expecting ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

Hmmmm

Today I had the wheels off the 90 for a new set of pads, and whilst I was under there I decided to fit the

new springs I had, these were to replace what was one there, as the drivers rear had developed a list to that corner, and I guessed the springs had gone that corner, and the other was prob on its way.

They were 2nd hand but not too much used when I gotr them, and now they are not made any more, so hence the R&W Threads (which it seems to be fine with), BUT, and this has puzzled me, these springs are exaftly the same (ie not handed) yet when I took the old ones off (one knacked) I fully expected the free length to be less on the kanckered one - BUT - they are EXACTLY the same :blink:

Is this possible ?, curious really, I expected the knacked one to be shorter, or can it be the free length says the same but some of the internal bouce gasses have escaped form inside the spring ? :ph34r:

Any spring gurus out there ?

:)

Nige

The spring rates cannot change. They are fixed.

Err... surely they can- steel has elastic limits and fatigue limits.

Springs will sag over time (some faster than others)- likewise the properties of the steel in a 'set' of springs may not be identical to start with. I see no reason why two used springs could not have the same free length yet be very different lengths with the same load applied- why not try one of your little experiments Nige- preferably without burning/cutting/ painting yourself (or come to think of it the cat!)!!!

Err... surely they can- steel has elastic limits and fatigue limits.

Springs will sag over time (some faster than others)- likewise the properties of the steel in a 'set' of springs may not be identical to start with. I see no reason why two used springs could not have the same free length yet be very different lengths with the same load applied- why not try one of your little experiments Nige- preferably without burning/cutting/ painting yourself (or come to think of it the cat!)!!!

Yes, they can sag. The spring rate, however, cannot change over time. It is impossible.

the spring rate is to do with amount of weight it takes to compress the spring one inch, is it not? so surely if the spring is sagging, then the rate has changed?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

No, it just means it has been permenently deformed. the rate will stay the same. It is a function of the geometry (except free length)and the materials.

Just to add for anyone interested, mine measured the same, yet later

when I shoved them on a decently true surface (my workbench) one spring (the

one that was lower on the 90) was obvioyus it had "Banananed" and was curved

thus dependant on where you measured it etc you got an OK reading, when

placed on a level surface next to each other the difference was obvious

<doh>

:)

Nige