B....b....b....b....b....ritpart Compressor ?

zim

Morning !

I'm after a compressor for my air supply. I've currently got a little ARB one, but A) they're stupidly expensive to replace B) they're not very big !

I'm using air to run my lockers, freespool to 2 winches (and soon my centre winch when i can work out how to !) and the normal pumping up tyres.

So what am i best off getting ?

I see :unsure: britpart :unsure: do two different compressors for not a lot of money. (Which is a sign to me i guess lol !) http://www.britpart.com/AccessoryCategory.asp?PageRef=4&AccessoryCategoryRef=256

What do other people run / advise ?

Is it Viair that i have seen on a lot of challenge motors ?

Cheers

Gordon

From what we've seen over here in Dubai the cheap chinese compressors are using the VIAR as the benchmark to copy. VIAR are a well known brand and easy to make but the copies don't last anywhere like the better quality original VIAR.

Using a tiny little ARB unit to run lockers, free spool, center winch and also pump up the tires wouldn't be practicle without a reservoire and even then the tiny little ARB wouldn't be abe to keep up.

I used one for a few years to pump up tyres ut eventually it wore out the cylinder wall.

I then moved over to a Bush Ranger unit (VIAR Copy) and it coped well when used with a 5 gallon air tank...but even then it was slow once the air tank ran out.

Next I tried one of these twin head compressors same as the Britpart one that you mentioned...it lasted about a year and then ran out of puff. What else could I have expected for such a small price?

Now I use the mother of all 12volt compressors...the WARN VTC. It will run air tools straight from the port & pump up 4 tyres quicker than anything else on the market.

I have a dedicated ARB mounted under the bonnet for reliable operation of the back and front lockers.

You get what you pays for with compressors....don't be fooled any other way!

yop, looks like the mother of all 12v compressors.

However, for this price you could buy a set of new tires rather than inflate the old ones. :lol:

I also have the feeling that the power consumption is equal to a winch.

No doubt though, impressive pice of kit!

There are a lot of people on here who have given good reports of the T-max double pump.

As far as a Britpart compressor goes, I would start by asking myself "Does it have any moving parts? Bearings? Seals?". I would then put my wallet back in my pocket and move along quietly.....

I have an old Viair compressor - made in the US and it's fantastic. I cannot fault it in any way.

I recently bought a new one - which turned out was made in China. The build quality somehow seems not so brilliant - particularly on the inside. It's a little noisier too. I actually wanted it as a vacuum pump - not what it's designed for, but the old one works very well. The new one barely creates any vacuum at all because the motor and crank housing is not sealed - again it says cheaply put together.

Since Viair have sold out and are shipping chinese compressors - it makes sense just to buy Britpart or Tmax for half the money.

I have a double pump T-Max which came from Challenger 4x4. The outside of it is horrible - chromed plastic, christmas cracker look. but as a compressor it is very good! It delivers good flow at pressure and is pretty smooth running. I reckon if you can overlook the nasty outer shell - they are pretty good value. Recommended!

Si

Cheers for the replies...i forgot about the t-max version which i do recall having had some threads on here.

simon - do you know what pressure they switch on and off at ? i will add a little tank to mine as well. then more thank likely a little regulator for my arb's, freespool etc.

Gordon